The Great Debate

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Yeah...that happens quite a bit.

That said, I'm not much of a fan of disabling comments. Let idiots be idiots, I say, and then be publicly branded as such.

Then again, the most controversial topic I've ever discussed is Silent Hill Book of memories.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Personally, I'm back'n'forth on this one

While public discourse is essential to any form of commentary or debate, YouTube comments do tend to be... yeah

I'd be lying if I said I still try to actually "discuss" anything in youtube comment form, because someone going by the name HitlerBlunt69 or something will feel like chiming in on why I'm a [insert epithet here]

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Unfortunately, such is the price of freedom. You have to take the bad with the good, 'cause the other option is, sadly, censorship.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
True that.
The Youtube comment section is a wretched hive of scum and villain.

You also forgot to mention the inevitable debates between PewDiePie Fans and haters as well as Bronies and haters. Under every FUCKING video that has absolutely fucking nothing to do with either.
I don't know, why I even look at it. Perhaps I need to remind myself what the world would look like if we were to led civilisation fall apart.

Captcha: lo and behold

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Because some people will be retards is not a good reason to disable the comments on a video in my opinion.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oh, you're undoubtedly walking right into someone rule 34'ing that now, I can pretty much guarantee that.

But yeah, YouTube comments sections aren't exactly the most intelligent gatherings on the planet.

Malisteen

Mar 1, 2010
disabling youtube comments isn't censorship. Not by any meaningful definition of the word. Freedom of speech doesn't guarantee the right to speak in someone else's private space. Youtube isn't obligated to provide comment space, and as long as youtube provides uploaders the option to turn comments off, neither are they. It's like a newspaper or magazine or any other publication, they may print letters to the editor, but they're in no way obligated to print every or even any letter they receive.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Eleuthera said:
Why is Ashley trying to feed liquor to a toy dinosaur?
Because that's what the English do.

We feed booze to models of extinct species.

Also robots.
All the English? Or just Ashleys?

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
XX[small]XX[/small]Darkvegeta[small]XX[/small]XX has spoken! Fulfill the words of the prophet! Who is he again, and why would not letting him speak his mindlessness be of any importance?

Everyone am free to disable comments on their own stuff. Just as everyone am free to not watch it over them doing so.

Oh, and before I forget: Using the name of a well known anime character is of course ethnocentric profiling! An expression of gross imperialistic cultural insensitivity to vulnerable subculture on account of its foreign nature, by perpetuating negative stereotyping of... yadda yadda yadda.

Or it's a harmless joke, which it'd be absurd to complain about.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I'm going to laugh when Google decides to drop commenting from Youtube, and as a result people complain and make death threats to them in response, because that would be a clearly justified case of "This is why we can't have nice things".

That, or make "Friends Only" (however they do that) be the default setting.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Oh God, this is so true! Youtube is likely the largest collection of stupid people on the internet.

Malisteen

Mar 1, 2010
You can watch or not, recommend or not, and like or dislike. The idea that the uploader is obligated to actually read comments as meaningful feedback is even more ridiculous than the idea that they're somehow obligated to even allow them in the first place.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Malisteen said:
disabling youtube comments isn't censorship. Not by any meaningful definition of the word. Freedom of speech doesn't guarantee the right to speak in someone else's private space. Youtube isn't obligated to provide comment space, and as long as youtube provides uploaders the option to turn comments off, neither are they. It's like a newspaper or magazine or any other publication, they may print letters to the editor, but they're in no way obligated to print every or even any letter they receive.
Dear God, I just had the horrifying image of a newspaper printing every letter they receive.

A larger publication, they would fill volumes of books per week. The smaller papers would look like the New York Times (Sunday edition).

It would be the internet in print form.

OT: I agree completely, If I want to debate with people on a video I made. I will post too YouTube, turn off comments, and link in a forum with moderators.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, the thing is

Malisteen said:
Oh, fine, beat me to it then.

I've also seen it as expressed as "Stopping people from crapping on your lawn is not policing their toilet" or somesuch.