Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Keep in mind, we all played the GBA versions of FFI & FFII. At least the GBA version of FFI revamped the combat further and was a port of the PSX version. The same with FF II, but not much was revamped and barely killed the grind. And I mean barely. Plus, FFI had those cool optional bonus dungeons where you could fight bosses from different FF games. You are right about their original versions being museum relics from the past. The modern ports, depending on the version, mitigate or improves most of the time. The exception is always FFII.

I know one of them played through the game just to brag he beat FFII once, and would never play the cursed title ever again. Yeah, I am sure it was worth the ego boost.
To be fair, I played it for the historical and completionist value. I'd played a bunch of the others by that point and the fact it was one of the "Lost" FF games made it intriguing for me. Not good per se, but it was interesting to experience despite not being very much fun to actually play.

And I'll give it credit, it did introduce a ton of series staple elements and it tried something different then FF1. If the leveling system wasn't so goddamn broken in the wrong ways it might have been remembered more fondly. I beat it once, the Dawn of Souls version, and I have no urge to ever play it ever again.

Last edited:
Reactions: meiam and BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've only seen a little bit of the start of FF9 but one thing that stuck out to me is how weird it is for Vivi's backstory to happen so soon. Usually I'd expect a mysterious character like that to be left a mystery for a while so the player could muse over them but they just go right in on it. It was interesting.
The early game is really Vivi focus and I think that worked out really well (I don't think I ever heard anyone saying they dislike him and he's often one of the most beloved character). The game kinda go in "arc" that are really focused on specific character (roughly in order of Vivi, Freya, Garnet, Eiko, Zidane). It's a bit of a shame Vivi doesn't have quite as much to do in the later part of the game. Zidane and Vivi never really talk about how they both are artificial construct.

Reactions: Dalisclock

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
The early game is really Vivi focus and I think that worked out really well (I don't think I ever heard anyone saying they dislike him and he's often one of the most beloved character). The game kinda go in "arc" that are really focused on specific character (roughly in order of Vivi, Freya, Garnet, Eiko, Zidane). It's a bit of a shame Vivi doesn't have quite as much to do in the later part of the game. Zidane and Vivi never really talk about how they both are artificial construct.
Ah, Garnet's arc. Two sentences that pretty much every FF IX player has learned to despise: Spellcasting failed! Garnet can't concentrate!

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Ah, Garnet's arc. Two sentences that pretty much every FF IX player has learned to despise: Spellcasting failed! Garnet can't concentrate!
First time I playtrough the game I could barely read english so I had no idea what was happening, it even took me awhile to realise it only affected Garnet, should have just benched her for a bit cause Amaranth can actually sub in quite well for a healer.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Primitive for its time?

We're talking NES here, it's not primitive for its time. It's rather progressive for its time.
One of the things I find most interesting about the series is that they do always try something new. It doesn't always work out, but at least evvery game is unique because they try new things with ever entry into the franchise. Which is why I can't hold FF2 over the fire too harshly, the game sucks, but you have to respect in some way the system they tried because on the NES there isn't a lot of memory space to try systems like this too deeply.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think the best thing about the FF franchise is that every game is unique, so they can change the setting and gameplay without needing to carry any of it with them and the fanbase has accepted that. That's why I'm so baffle by them trying to make sequel like FF10-2 and 13-2/3, why bother (well in 13 case its probably cause they had so much cut content laying around).

Plus this way they'd make more them, I wouldn't mind if 13/15 were disappointing if they made 7-8 of them during that time and some were interesting.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
why bother (well in 13 case its probably cause they had so much cut content laying around).
Head Honcho at Square at the time wanted to make back the money thrown away trying to create FF13's engine by "quickly" churning out sequels by reusing assets.

Also, they served as cheap output to try and get some income during the disaster known as FF14.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
One of the things I find most interesting about the series is that they do always try something new. It doesn't always work out, but at least evvery game is unique because they try new things with ever entry into the franchise. Which is why I can't hold FF2 over the fire too harshly, the game sucks, but you have to respect in some way the system they tried because on the NES there isn't a lot of memory space to try systems like this too deeply.
It is the RPG version of a Castlevania 2, which ironically tried to be the RPG of Castlevania for some reason. Maybe RPGs were trending back then.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I think the best thing about the FF franchise is that every game is unique, so they can change the setting and gameplay without needing to carry any of it with them and the fanbase has accepted that. That's why I'm so baffle by them trying to make sequel like FF10-2 and 13-2/3, why bother (well in 13 case its probably cause they had so much cut content laying around).

Plus this way they'd make more them, I wouldn't mind if 13/15 were disappointing if they made 7-8 of them during that time and some were interesting.
Apparently 10's plot was too long so they had to split it between two games and that's why it has a direct sequel. But that could just be a rumor. Probably didn't hurt to be able to reuse assets either, like Blue said.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Holy fuck FF3 is a grindy game.
Hah, you thought that FF3,
Would be a game so merilly,
That you'd breeze through, with
Nary challenge found?

Nay, this game of Light and Dark,
Is not a game of merry lark,
Now grind your arse,
Grind into the ground!

(Or, in other words, I thought everyone knew FF3 was grindy, but meh.)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
(Or, in other words, I thought everyone knew FF3 was grindy, but meh.)
I mean to an extend there is agrind to be had in almost all FF games. But I think FF3 and 5 are by far the worst.....Although 10 takes the crowd if you want to complete that sphere grind, but thankfully it's not a requirement. 3 and 5 are requirements and it's bad. Ugh.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I mean to an extend there is agrind to be had in almost all FF games. But I think FF3 and 5 are by far the worst.....Although 10 takes the crowd if you want to complete that sphere grind, but thankfully it's not a requirement. 3 and 5 are requirements and it's bad. Ugh.
Are you at least otherwise having fun? Or does the grinding suck everything into a blackhole?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Funny that you mention 10, since it's the only Final Fantasy I played.

And in case you're wondering, no, I didn't come even close to maxing things out. I was coming across monsters that killed me in one shot, so..."nup!"