The Great Gatsby NES Game "Discovered"

Sedweiler

Dec 5, 2009
That game was fun! The only reason I actually know the novel (being a Finn), is that I study English in university and this book was course material in my freshman year.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Now he just needs to make a Catcher in the Rye game so I can make the main character repeatedly die in a fire.

Hydrahunter

Jun 8, 2010
Pinstar said:
Now he just needs to make a Catcher in the Rye game so I can make the main character repeatedly die in a fire.
I don't think a game so awesome could possibly exist in this world we live.

geronh

May 6, 2010
Ih8pkmn said:
Sweet! Now I don't have to read this Boring-ass book for english!
Now I can just play the game!
If you don't want to read the book, you can always listen to Andy Kaufman doing it for you.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
And I loved it. Its so great, though the eyes are screwing me over at first until I released how to hit it without jumping into it.

Then again, I liked the book when I read it in highschool.

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
standokan said:
So much for my common sense, I don't know the great gatsby.
The Human Torch said:
Speaking as someone who is not from an native English country, I have no idea what this novel is and why the game is so weird.
LightningBanks said:
Never heard of gatsby, but I finished the game in 10 minutes
No worries. It's sort of an American themed novel that almost all of us in the States had to read in school at some point. Personally I really liked it. It's well-written, well-paced and has good visuals. It's also relatively short because it has little to no useless fluff. I've actually heard someone call it a "perfect" novel, arguing that there isn't a single word that doesn't need to be there.

It's a dark coming of age tale about a group of young adults from largely rural America who have moved to the wealthy New York suburbs in the 1920s in pursuit of the American Dream. Over the course of the story they discover that they are unprepared for either the pursuit or the attainment of said Dream to the point where they end up hurting themselves and each other. It's an important novel in American history because its story mirrors an important "coming of age" for the United States as a country as we transitioned from the idealism and optimism of the Progressive Era (1890-1920) to the decadence and corruption of the Roaring Twenties as people abandoned the country for the opportunities of the cities.