The greatest American band ever is...

monstersquad

Jun 7, 2010
MONSTERheart said:
...does Rush count? They're Canadian, which you could say is 'american'.
WHAT!?!?!? I take great offense to this comment, sir. And besides, Rush is already at the top, seeing as they're the GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Pink Floyd?
I dunno. It's impossible to pin "Best ever" in a wildly subjective category.

Crosby, Stills and Nash (of which one isn't American, so I guess it's DQ'd)
Hendrix
Santana

Honestly. Everything up there beats just about anything I can think of when it comes to "American culture" music, which is why I didn't put up more metal or rock groups despite liking the genre better.

gamefreakbsp

Sep 27, 2009
The greatest might be.......I think Metallica is at top here. They hold many top spots for records like consecutive #1 album releases and the like. About 100 million records sold worldwide and 60 million or so sold in the US alone. Only two bands I have seen mentioned here were higher, the Eagles and Aerosmith. However, when you think of their respective genres, odds are one of the first bands you think of won't be them. They didn't help sculpt out their genre out of nothing. Metallica did.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Novskij said:
Naeo said:
Ooh. Toughie. My candidates:

Tool
Isis
Neurosis
Johnny Cash (technically not a "band" but whatever)
Evoken (maybe)

I just realized that all my favorite bands are from not-America (The Go-Betweens, The Church, Sigur Ros, Ahab, Mogwai, Funeral, Pink Floyd, etc).
Neurosis and Isis, /respect.

Also first time ive heard of Evoken, sounds amazing.
+Respect to you, sir, on all points.

dsmops2003 said:
Fuck me sideways someone else who listens to evoken!!!
Well that's because Evoken kicks ass (maybe as much ass as the others on that list). They're almost a perfect combination of Sunn O))) and Ahab's styles/sounds (despite those two coming five and eleven years after Evoken as founded, respectively).

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
2 things:

1) Why do people keep naming single people, rather than bands
2) Why do people keep naming non-America (often British) bands?

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
bak00777 said:
SFJ said:
I will happily accept that America do music better than any other part of the world - even England are second to them. Pro-American sentiments from the English! Peace and love for all.

Not gonna name a greatest band, simply because I like so many, and I don't give music rank because styles can vary massively.
No, Britain has had some of the best bands ever. Yes rock started in the USA but when the Brits listend to early rock(then called R&B) they improved it beyond belief. Hell if it wasnt for bands like The Beatles then rock n roll would not have been has popular as it is today. If it wasnt for bands like Led Zepplin then hard rock which eventually evolved into heavy metal would not be around. So i suppose im saying, Americans started rock, but the British improved it exponentially.

If they whole thing about America doing music better than the rest of the world was sarcasm, disregard the paragraph above.
Can I just expand on slightly, because I have nothing else better to do at this time? Yes, because you can't stop me from typing *cackles*

So yes, heavy metal. Arguably the first heavy metal songs being either 'You Really Got Me' by The Kinks (no, seriously) or 'Purple Haze' by the Jimi Hendrix Experience (I can't remember the official verdict, other than it's one of these two). Notice that these are British (or Britain-rooted) bands. That's because Britain is the main place for heavy metal in its birth. Let me introduce you to the big 3:-

-Led Zeppelin
-Black Sabbath
-Cream (yeah, Cream, let me explain)

Led Zep. and Sabbath don't really need explaining, but, to some of you, Cream might. Cream's lead guitarist was Clapton. He revolutionised the use of valve-amp distortion (high-gain, low volume, more commonly known as 'overdrive'), which is the basis of the heavy sound which you here in heavy metal today.

These three bands are all British, and Heavy Metal mainly originated from the Midlands (of all places, Black Sabbath were from Birmingham).