The greatest American band ever is...

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
No idea, I don't think there's a definite number one. I mean, for example, The Ramones or Metallica? Both are awesome, both are legendary, both are hugely influential.

Mighty the Moose

Aug 11, 2010
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
Pixies.

The band that made me want to start a band xD
You are in good company, Cobain thought the same thing. From producer Gary Smith:

"I've heard it said about The Velvet Underground that while not a lot of people bought their albums, everyone who did started a band. I think this is largely true about the Pixies as well. Charles' secret weapon turned out to be not so secret and, sooner or later, all sorts of bands were exploiting the same strategy of wide dynamics. It became a kind of new pop formula and, within a short while, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was charging up the charts and even the members of Nirvana said later that it sounded for all the world like a Pixies song."

Also, people are confusing a lot of British and American bands, but this is to expected as musically (among *many* other things) our two cultures are intertwined. As a poster above mentioned, there would have been no Beatles, Stones, the Who, or [insert British 60's band here], without American blues and the early tours of the UK by American rockabilly artists such Bill Haley and the immortals, Eddie Cochrane and Buddy Holly.

The British invasion, in turn, had an incalculable impact on American bands. These bands, in turn, influenced the UK, etc, so on, so forth... Look at Jimi Hendrix, an American artist with British bandmates.

And Lynyrd Skynyrd as the *greatest* American band ever against whom no other bands come to mind? Hmm....

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
Nirvana if we're talking effect. They were a rare breed of band that a large group of people (in this case, confused teenagers) coould identify with. Smells Like Teen Spirit's video is too this day one of the most incredible and it isn't hard to see how much bigger they could have been if Cobain hadnt killed himself.

Green Day had a big effect on punk-rock, Dookie is to this day one of the top punk albums (or albums period) of all-time. But they're career itself is a winding road, and while they are bigger than ever now, they had a relativley unknown status in the late 90's.

And I'm sorry but I wouldn't even mention Disturbed among America's best, they haven't done anything revolutionary, nor do they really distinguish themselves from most other metal/hard rock bands. They are average as far as a band goes, they have a few hits, but beyond that its nothing serioiusly groundbreaking.

To sum it up, Nirvana, Elvis a close second.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
MONSTERheart said:
Well, let's just make a list of potential candidates:

Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Eagles
Jimi Hendrix (my vote, btw)
Metallica
Aerosmith
Poison
Guns N Roses
Boston
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Van Halen
ELVIS PRESLEY (seriously, can't get much greater than that)

There is, of course, a lot more. This was just from a cursory scroll through my iTunes library.

What were you saying about no serious contender to Lynyrd Skynyrd?

EDIT: right, the post above me reminded me of some more: Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, Tom Petty.

To stray away from the rock stuff, though: Michael Jackson, The Temptations, Robert Johnson, Son House, The Supremes, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and much much more.
Besides this:
...does Rush count? They're Canadian, which you could say is 'american'.
I completely agree, the list of legendary American bands goes on and on, so many amazing singers/bands. Finally someone on this blasted website whos music opinion I can agree with! XP

Awesome avatar as well, nice and creepy, Shapsters approves.

Gizmo007666

Nov 12, 2009
How has no-one said Bon Jovi yet? My favourite American band by far.

As for British would have to say Queen as they may not be everyones favourite but surely they are at least liked by everyone?

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Tourette said:
The Eagles without a doubt.
No way! Eagles were great on tape but rubbish live.

I'm going to go with Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band. Now that's some proper rock and roll. It even has a saxophone.

Feb 3, 2009
Mighty the Moose said:
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
Pixies.

The band that made me want to start a band xD
You are in good company, Cobain thought the same thing. From producer Gary Smith:

"I've heard it said about The Velvet Underground that while not a lot of people bought their albums, everyone who did started a band. I think this is largely true about the Pixies as well. Charles' secret weapon turned out to be not so secret and, sooner or later, all sorts of bands were exploiting the same strategy of wide dynamics. It became a kind of new pop formula and, within a short while, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was charging up the charts and even the members of Nirvana said later that it sounded for all the world like a Pixies song."
I've always adored that quote - used it in my music essay a few years back. Feels good seeing it again =D

leptokurtotic

Nov 18, 2009
Maybe Elvis, or Nirvana or Metallica or maybe even the Eagles. Maybe even the Steve Miller band, or the Pixies, or CCR. Or Alice Cooper. Or Jane's Addiction. Or the Velvet Underground.

But not Aerosmith. Aerosmith are fun, and they have spme good songs, but really there's just a lot more to American music than Aerosmith have to offer.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Insane Clown Posse based solely on the merit of this lyric: "Magnets! How the fuck do they work?"

Usurpurus

Oct 12, 2009
Music is opinionated, there is no best.

tendo82 said:
Insane Clown Posse based solely on the merit of this lyric: "Magnets! How the fuck do they work?"
Sorry to be pedantic but the lyrics are 'Fuckin' magnets! How do they work?'