The Grim Truth

Jan 12, 2012
You know what I just realized? I have no memory of what Suda 51 looks like; I don't even know if I've ever seen a picture of him.

I'm throwing my support behind the "Luchador Duck" theory.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I've never really got the appeal of Suda51.

I can understand the appeal of something different and bizarre, but his games always struck me less as highly individual artistic statements and more as, "Look how whacky and cuh-raaaazy I am!" Thing is, manufactured crazy kind of, y'know... isn't. It's like when little kids act cute because they want something from you.

Then again, I've never played Killer7, which is apparently the game that made him A Name.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
So is Suda51 copying the Family Guy manatees or the other way round?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
You know what I just realized? I have no memory of what Suda 51 looks like; I don't even know if I've ever seen a picture of him.

I'm throwing my support behind the "Luchador Duck" theory.
I saw an interview with him once.

He just looks like a fairly regular, not bad looking, middle aged Japanese dude.

I will understand if you prefer to imagine him as a duck.

DVS BSTrD said:
There's more to it then that. I see through your disguise Suda!
You don't have to Hide anymore
http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/104/104100.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/dc5adb738aaa5dc4c3955d827557e803/tumblr_mhkt21VT6O1s51zjyo1_400.gif
Y'know, I've see that picture before, but I only just now noticed how utterly miserable the duck looks.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
If you want random words, try playing the first 10 minutes of Magi Nation on the GBC.

EXPLODING SOCK PUPPET!

Dec 14, 2009
Luchador Duck?!

My god, the prophecy is true, he's is the chosen one!

Last Suda 51 game I thoroughly enjoyed was Killer 7, and that was ages ago.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Suda51 hate? Ah! My jimmies are rustled even more than they are when you poke fun at Evangelion.

In all seriousness, as much as I liked Shadows of the Damned, I personally thought it was rather mediocre. Lollipop Chainsaw was even more so, seeing as the writing was not the least bit clever. Nonetheless, I liked them both for their quirky characters and competent gameplay.

Despite being a cult classic, I can't bring myself to like Killer7 as much as I do, say, No More Heroes/2. The gameplay was pretty clunky if not unique, and its minimalistic approach to plot during its actual levels kind of baffled me. It was kind of on an opposite tangent from aforementioned two.

Of course, I have to put No More Heroes on a pedestal. The best part to me about Suda's games is that he doesn't expect you take them seriously. The games don't take themselves seriously.

Haven't gotten the chance to play this new one yet (even though I have it), but I guess I'll see if the comic holds up.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
There's other people who fucking loved shadows of the damned?

Honestly, I always put it down to personal bias. I always had a thing for interpretations of hell. You get so many people's ideas of what would be the single worst place ever. Suda's version was twisted, it was, well, hellish, and also funny. It also had some great gothic stylings that you just don't see in much media anymore, perhaps because it's considered cheesy or too much of a throwback to hammer horror days, but of course, Suda didn't give a crap whether it would be popular, he gave a crap about what he wanted to give a crap about.

And it's a shame to see him go the other way.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Most Suda 51 games I play for a bit before just getting sick of the whole thing; the mechanics, the writing, the clearly random for the sack of random setpieces, all of it just makes me think "Why the hell does anyone call this guy a gaming genius?" The only Suda 51 game I've played till the end was Shadows of the Damned, and even that didn't escape that thought process, although that one was less about the writing or random setpieces, and more about the halt of advancing the mechanics in any meaningful way combined with just the seemingly complete lack of effort in the jokes and writing in the second half.

Killer is Dead doesn't look much different, but it's probably going to have the fans screaming how people just don't understand it, not because the game is any good, but because it's a Suda 51 game with seemingly random elements; they probably gave it game of the year when just the first trailer was released

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zhukov said:

I can understand the appeal of something different and bizarre, but his games always struck me less as highly individual artistic statements and more as, "Look how whacky and cuh-raaaazy I am!" Thing is, manufactured crazy kind of, y'know... isn't. It's like when little kids act cute because they want something from you.

Then again, I've never played Killer7, which is apparently the game that made him A Name.
The entertainment industry is full of people with nothing more to their name than "ZANY!" so it doesn't surprise me, but....Yeah. I don't get it, either.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
The picture of Erin kicking the door in may be my favorite thing that Cory has ever drawn. Seriously, it's pretty perfect.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Gigolo mode! *looks it up on youtube* I don't understand how this is a gigolo mode. Shouldn't he be the one stripping down to his underwear and being sexy for her? Then as he turns, his ball sack should be swaying softly because you know, every movement makes human flesh move like light feathers in the wind.

She hired him for sex didn't she? Why does he think he has to give her gifts to get sex with her, she is paying him for sex. He needs to be stripping and dancing, that's what she paid him for.

I get the feeling this isn't a true gigolo mode, I get the feeling that the cheerleader game isn't really what a bunch of male gamers like to clap their hands about thinking that's a proper strong female protagonist.

I get the feeling people are over estimating Suda 51 talents.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Zhukov said:
And I never really got the appeal of reality TV, but enough someones have shown appeal to it that TLC has managed to find the bottomless barrel...

That said, I think what makes Suda 51 appealing is that it is so different from other games in terms of aesthetic and themes, particularly the "embrace the weird" sexualized humor that he tends to employ, while still being competently built in terms of mechanics.