The Hobbit Cast Swaps Genders in All-Female Photoshoot

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
CloudAtlas said:
Well, perhaps in some cases. But not in a fiction epos like LOTR, with a biiig cast of characters and absolutely no reason to not do that. Besides, wouldn't it also be rather dickish (and commercially unwise on top) if the creator of such a piece of entertainment that is potentially appealing to a really large audience torpedoes the ability of half of said audience to enjoy this piece because there aren't any people of their own gender to identify with for no good reason?
I agree that if trying to appeal to the largest possible audience is a priority, then lack of gender balance is commercially unwise. That being said, I don't think that was Tolkien's goal. Some of my favorite games on the PS3, the Arland Alchemist Trilogy, are heavily skewed towards females and female gender balance. Considering there's a notion out there that most guys wouldn't want to play a game as a 'chick', creating games that center heavily on females could be said to be commercially unwise. This may be true but they are great games, I'm better off for having played them, and I'm glad they exist.

Personally, I think that reasons which have already been stated as to why Tolkien did not include more female characters are valid. Tolkien's writings, while fantasy, did draw on his experiences. If his experiences were of wartime which included mainly males then I have no problem with that. At worst, it's a pretty good explanation for minimal female characters in his work. I realize you've stated that you do not accept those reasons, and that's perfectly fine.

After all that, I believe that everything should be put through the crucible: Everything can and should be able to be criticized. Tolkien should be able to be criticized. Exchanging ideas and opinions and responding to others' can only lead to better understandings. I will admit there was a time when I wasn't even aware of the lack of female characters in Tolkien's work. While I believe there's nothing wrong with a lack of female characters, having an awareness of it and the reasons why it bothers some is a good thing.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
And here I thought Dwarven women were bearded like their male counterparts. Not too bad but they're basically attractive models in wigs and thick clothes.

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
I think this little gender swap didnt really work out, they changed way more than just the gender. casting all conventionally attractive girls just wont work for burly dwarves.
its more like neat cosplay than anything.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Nurb said:
I'm not even that big of a fan, but these girls are too perfect, too young, not stocky enough, the fat one isn't fat enough (But then I guess a fat woman with food in her mouth would be called fat-shaming or something)

And of course, no beards, and no male version of the elf woman...

It's a nice cosplay effort, but if you're gonna go for it, go all the way.

Oh good lord of unholy abominations...kill them all with fire, with pure relentless fire I say!!

I finally realized why we are yet to see dwarven women.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Yuuki said:
Nurb said:
I'm not even that big of a fan, but these girls are too perfect, too young, not stocky enough, the fat one isn't fat enough (But then I guess a fat woman with food in her mouth would be called fat-shaming or something)

And of course, no beards, and no male version of the elf woman...

It's a nice cosplay effort, but if you're gonna go for it, go all the way.

Oh good lord of unholy abominations...kill them all with fire, with pure relentless fire I say!!

I finally realized why we are yet to see dwarven women.
Not gonna lie, I would take literally all of them over whatever that thing is in your avatar any day of the week. ^_^

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Chemical Alia said:
Not gonna lie, I would take literally all of them over whatever that thing is in your avatar any day of the week. ^_^
To each their own I guess. There are apparently some people who enjoy the taste of...umm...stuff that people tend to flush away, I guess this is one of those things :p

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
I've never understood the obsession with rule 63. Why doesn't someone just go ahead and make an original fantasy (or sci-fi) movie in which all the major characters and most minor ones are female?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Yuuki said:
Chemical Alia said:
To each their own I guess. There are apparently some people who enjoy the taste of...umm...stuff that people tend to flush away, I guess this is one of those things :p
Well, you don't have to like them, but that is how dwarven females should look like
I for one don't like elven males because they tend to look overly feminine
But that doesn't mean I oppose them being represented in movies

P.S. Why does Bilbo wears skirt? I'm pretty sure even female version would wear pants when going on adventure.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
airrazor7 said:
I've never understood the obsession with rule 63. Why doesn't someone just go ahead and make an original fantasy (or sci-fi) movie in which all the major characters and most minor ones are female?
Straight guys like male character, but preferres feminine attributes, thus gender-swapping the character in question. Thus, interesting and likable character. Now also hawt.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
airrazor7 said:
Someone should yes, but in the meantime, gender swapping current movies is the next best thing, and much easier for most people.