The Hurt Foot Locker

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm so glad I'm not like that with shoes or anything else for that matter. Then again I'm one of those weird chicks that hates shopping, and even going to the mall.

Although, I do like to go book browsing with the intent of buying because books are awesome. :D

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
TiberiusEsuriens said:
It's kinda opposite for me and my wife. I'm always trying to get her a good pair of real boots, not those paper thin, cardboard lined, no sole fashion types.

"Honey, look at these! They have a two inch thick sole with ankle support. I bet you could jump on 50 rocks with these."
"No thanks, I don't like jumping."

"But what about these, they have extra arch support. I bet you could curb stomp your enemies well with that!"
"Shut up, I don't like shopping with you."

"Ok ok, but this one is COMPLETELY water proof. It is so sturdy you could kick a shark in the face and keep your leg in tact. Also, it would be dry."
"Oh my god, I'm never going shopping with you again."

"But you'd be able to jump in rain puddles without getting wet."
"Shut up and take my money!"

The shoe is on the other foot now, eh?
You have much to teach us. Share your wisdom with us!

OT: Sooooooo, was one of the guys forced to go shoe shopping by their significant others? That led to them putting together today's strip? Still hoping for a strip about, you know, VIDEO GAMES. Perhaps with jokes about one of the recent releases.

Kaisharga

Dec 5, 2007
Someday, someone will make a combination clothes/shoe store plus internet cafe. You would almost literally have a captive clientele. Paint it with bright primary colors and label it like a day care if that makes you feel better. We boyfriends will do our best to make sure our girlfriends shop at your store and nowhere else for those sorts of goods, as long as you give us a comfortable place to sit and something interesting to do.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
A buddy of mine can completely relate to that... and he's quite obsessive about choosing the right shoes.

Yup, this doesn't apply just to women. And he's straight.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
TiberiusEsuriens said:
It's kinda opposite for me and my wife. I'm always trying to get her a good pair of real boots, not those paper thin, cardboard lined, no sole fashion types.

"Honey, look at these! They have a two inch thick sole with ankle support. I bet you could jump on 50 rocks with these."
"No thanks, I don't like jumping."

"But what about these, they have extra arch support. I bet you could curb stomp your enemies well with that!"
"Shut up, I don't like shopping with you."

"Ok ok, but this one is COMPLETELY water proof. It is so sturdy you could kick a shark in the face and keep your leg in tact. Also, it would be dry."
"Oh my god, I'm never going shopping with you again."

"But you'd be able to jump in rain puddles without getting wet."
"Shut up and take my money!"

The shoe is on the other foot now, eh?
templar1138a said:
Zeetchmen said:
Not to be one to point out hypocrisy, but can you imagine the outrage over this comic if the genders were reversed?

With say a woman hanging herself in a sporting good store. Its 'funny' when a man kills himself, but I doubt the socail justice warriors here would be laughing the other way around.
Two things.

One: Better to save the hypocrisy card for if the genders actually are reversed and people rage over it. That makes you seem like you have perspective, whereas to point it out in this case makes you seem a bitter and confrontational buzzkill.

Two: One could point out that the basis for this joke is completely sexist against women. After all, it's working off the stereotype that women are ravenous shoe-shoppers. While a good number certainly are, there are quite a few who aren't and would find this comic annoying at the least.

Also, "Socail Justice Warriors" is my Rage Against the Machine cover band (try proofreading next time).
I disagree with your 2nd point.... If you read the comic again, you will notice Erin doesn't really have much input on "The best way to shoe shop." Which would demonstrate that in fact Grey and Cory are aware that it is in fact a SELECT group of women who are ravenous about shoe shopping. Thus the ones that aren't have a character to identify with and can more easily be amused by the comic.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Just bringing an ipod cures all this for me. Though my wife doesn't try to drag me along in the first place.

templar1138a said:
Also, "Socail Justice Warriors" is my Rage Against the Machine cover band (try proofreading next time).
Morning Stream? >.>

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Shoe shopping with women has got to be the single most torturing experience ever devised.

I'd rather have by finger nails ripped out by a rather miffed badger than go shoe shopping.

I'd rather drill into every bone in my body, and replace the marrow with molten nightmares that go shoe shopping.

If you take me shoe shopping I will kill myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fuelled by my hatred for you this fear engine will bore a hole between this world and that one. When it begins you will hear the sound of children screaming--as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing will grow above your bed, and from it will emerge a thousand starving crows. As I slip through the widening maw in my new form, you will catch only a glimpse of my radiance before you are incinerated. Then, as tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark work will begin. I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth.
I got the reference. Do I get a cookie?

OT:

I have... Three pairs of shoes. One pair is walking boots, the other pair is walking trainers and the final pair are incredibly well polished town shoes that I wear whenever I can be bothered suiting up. Which is most days.

Thankfully, most of my partners have been similar. My last GF had... I think four pairs of shoes. Roughly the same breakdown. The kind of person I date is not the kind of person to have a large selection of shoes. I find this whole shoe thing to be rather interesting: If you are dating someone who obsessively buys a huge amount of shoes, taking a fucking year to do so, and you do not like this, maybe you are dating the wrong person. Just saying.

Although if you plotted shoe ownership and "Willingness to date Mr F" on a chart, you would find that the fewer pairs of shoes you own the less likely you are to want to date me. So I guess I need to find some guy/girl who has a BILLION SHOES?

tldr;
Shoe ownership is directly correlated with love.

Stomperchomper

Mar 13, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Shoe shopping with women has got to be the single most torturing experience ever devised.

I'd rather have by finger nails ripped out by a rather miffed badger than go shoe shopping.

I'd rather drill into every bone in my body, and replace the marrow with molten nightmares that go shoe shopping.

If you take me shoe shopping I will kill myself. And when my tainted spirit finds its destination, I will topple the master of that dark place. From my black throne, I will lash together a machine of bone and blood, and fuelled by my hatred for you this fear engine will bore a hole between this world and that one. When it begins you will hear the sound of children screaming--as though from a great distance. A smoking orb of nothing will grow above your bed, and from it will emerge a thousand starving crows. As I slip through the widening maw in my new form, you will catch only a glimpse of my radiance before you are incinerated. Then, as tears of bubbling pitch stream down my face, my dark work will begin. I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth.
I for one hail our new dark overlord. Are you partial to sacrificial goats at all?

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Daystar Clarion said:
Actually... doesn't that sound pretty awesome? Wouldn't you secretly WANT someone to take you shoe shopping so this can happen?

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
SoulChaserJ said:
I feel sorry for most of you. My girlfriend doesn't drag me anywhere. We go shopping and whatever else together because we actually like each other's company and opinions. If someone had to "drag" me to go shopping with them then I don't think I'd want to spend much time around that person..at the very least be an adult and go look in another store or sit on a bench and have a pretzel.
A few things. 1. 80% of guys don't care about clothes at all. So talking about them is the most inane bullshit in the world no matter who your doing it with. 2. You can't go get pretzel because they want your opinion and giving an opinion about something you have no opinion of is aggravating. I am not talking from experience but I do understand where people are coming from.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
So why do girls insist on bringing their boyfriends shoe shopping with them exactly? Doesn't seem like a necessary evil to me.

But ya, the boredom of waiting for someone to shop for shoes is as close to physically painful as it can get.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Hanging yourself?

Pff, amateur...

Just take a shoe with a stiletto heel and jab that sucker right in your eye socket.
It's quick and painful.

Man I feel sorry for Daystar...
These puns are rather painful, aren't they...
But what can you do aboot it?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Dear god if only we had shoe shops around here that had a good length of rope available.

But they do. They're called boot laces. Braid a few pairs together, it should do the trick.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
ZombieFanatic said:
Farther than stars said:
No! It's not even funny when a man kills himself. In fact, it's never funny when someone kills themselves. The fact that something like that could even be deemed as being funny shows a pervasive sickness in society.
So I'm not entirely sure if you are being sarcastic, but if you are, I apologize in advance. If not, then I strongly disagree with you. Anything can be used in comedy, so long as it is not designed to injure any one group of people (even then, it's technically 'ok', but is just wrong).

Obviously, this strip was not intent on mocking suicide victim's friends/families or what have you; it merely used a rather common exaggeration for comedic effect. You have every right to be offended by it, I suppose, but just because people like to joke about death does not display a 'sickness in society'.
I wouldn't call it sarcasm, per se. It's just a different way of looking at it. Zeetchmen was right when he said that this would be less warmly received if the image displayed a woman hanging herself. I can't think of how death is substantially different for men and women, so maybe it's not about genders, but maybe it's about how we should look at suicides in general. I don't think it's accurate to say that joking about suicide is entirely healthy. After all, there is a psychological aspect to consider. (See also: two paragraphs down.)
What I wanted to talk about was whether you can consider something to be right or wrong. What you call technically 'OK' can be more specifically construed as what is legal. And I agree that people should always be legally allowed to make whatever jokes they want, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's 'right' for them to make those jokes. That kind of moral distinction can only be made informally, by a society.
And personally, I feel 'not designed to injure any one group of people' is not a sufficient boundary to preserve moral decency. First of all, what if the joke injures individuals; is that alright? Secondly, and more importantly, it also goes against the definition of a joke. If it's 'designed to injure', then it's no longer a joke, it's an insult. Jokes are never designed to injure in the first place, they're designed to amuse.
Consider some of those individual cases. Trivializing suicide can have a profound effect on a personal psyche. The idea that 'suicide isn't such a big deal' can be just enough to push some severely depressed people over the edge. That's why the more mainstream attention a medium gets, the more attention they pay to how they represent suicide if they represent it. Some TV stations will even go so far as to offer hotlines for people after a show that has included the matter of suicide. Then there's the hardship that some people might endure if they've lost loved ones to suicide.
So no, everything considered, I don't think it's morally justifiable to use suicide imagery for amusement. And in that respect I think Zeetchmen did a good job by highlighting that dilemma.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
OlasDAlmighty said:
So why do girls insist on bringing their boyfriends shoe shopping with them exactly? Doesn't seem like a necessary evil to me.

But ya, the boredom of waiting for someone to shop for shoes is as close to physically painful as it can get.
For the politically correct we have to remember to use wishy-washy qualifiers like "some."

Some girls insist on bringing their boyfriends shoe shopping with them because it is an important part of their life, and they want to share it. Its the same reason some guys insist on getting their girlfriends to play some games (stereotypical "gurlz don't play games" statement) with them. It doesn't matter that the boyfriend has no interest in the shopping or the shoes; or the girlfriend has no interest in watching swearing 13-year-olds get shot at from 23 directions in COD multiplayer - what matters is that they're doing something together.

All this instead of figuring out what they like to do in common and doing those things together.

Nosirrah

Apr 16, 2013
Daystar Clarion said:

I love how the badger is a bit miffed rather than angry, what is enough to make angry badger torturer preferable to miffed badger?2

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Those poor bastards, but I admit shoe shopping is really painful. Trying to find something cute and functionable in your size in nearly impossible in stores unless you're willing to travel long distances.

That is one thing I learned from my father, get in, get the shoe, get out. Or just shop online. Easier and you don't have to wear pants/trousers while doing it!

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
This is why I generally check into furniture department and take a couch for a test snooze when my wife goes shoe shopping.