The Indies Will Ruin Everything!

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
reiniat said:
J Tyran said:
reiniat said:
It was true about six years ago, some people are still thumping the drum like its true and a current issue though. After the console got a decent install base and Don Mattrick became CEO it started making huge profits.
This is from november 2013;
[link]http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2013/11/25/microsoft-xboxs-1b-plus-loss-makes-it-a-sale-candidate-says-nomura/[/link]
Youre talking as if we still were in the golden years of the 7th gen...
If we start talking about this gen no they are not in profit yet... but its the start of a new generation of devices and no-ones in profit yet. The original discussion was about the 360 never making profit, luckily for both Sony and Microsoft both consoles are doing well with record breaking sales with the PS4 being in the clear lead in console sale.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Cat Cloud said:
Yeah but then why the title... I'll admit it, it made me read the article, but that doesn't mean it wasn't misleading.
That's the problem when you try to be ironic in the internet. But, yeah, being ironic in the title of an article is somewhat misleading, unless you're in a parody site.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
Mush said:
Smilomaniac said:
(I honestly don't know where Wasteland 2 stands at the moment. The Steam early access suggests they need more money to finish.)
I'm fairly sure that's not an issue. The game came up on steam early access because the beta got a release and they used steam to distribute the beta to backers. The ridiculous $60 price tag on the steam early access was a result of the lowest tier required for backers to gain access to the beta in the kickstarter. The actual price is supposedly going to be a lot less than that.
Aha, that makes sense. I appreciate the information, I was genuinly worried about Wasteland 2 becoming a failure and was just desperately grabbing for cash left and right.
As a backer I can confirm this. It is a fairness price.

Smile- I agree on the kickstarter angle. Some of the best "Indies" of late are actually kickstarter games. Looking forward to getting wasteland 2, torment and Pillars of Eternity. Enjoying Broken Age and Banner Saga right now! :)

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
I think the whole indie thing is blown out of proportion. i think most of the so called indie games are pretty much crap. there are a few good ones every year. I liked papers please, brothers and gone home a lot, but there were a few other indie games i simply hated. this is also true of many of the AAA games out there. There are a couple of things a would love to verify.

1. this whole 8-10 X development cost story. it simply doesn't add up. the graphical upgrade from this last gen to this gen is incremental and there are PC devs who have been using these same tools for a good 5 years now.

2. I would like some sales numbers on indie games. yes, minecraft has sold a couple of million copies, but what about the rest