"The Know" app is what Peeple has nightmares of

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Here we go again!

I reported a few weeks back about the now internet infamous app called "Peeple" which allowed you to write reviews about people you know Yelp style. Since it became a huge internet phenomenon, Julia Cordray (Peeple's CEO) made a number of changes that turned the horrible idea into a rather useless one. Glad that was over with, right? RIGHT?

Meet "The Know," a new app (not made by the same people) that brings things to a whole knew level. Let's break it down... In this version of the human intrusive app selection we seem to be seeing a lot of, you fill out up to 20 fields about a person you know, like their name, address, etc, and you are anonymously set up in a chat conversation with someone who also knows the person you put into the fields. Then, you essentially can ask what this random person knows about this guy/girl. This can be between gossip, advice, or better yet... slander.

The Know founder Aswan Morgan via e-mail through the Observer said the app will allow users to ?exchange relevant intel in an effort to make better-informed dating decisions.? He said it?s better than the ?audacious? Peeple app and its ?dreadful execution? because The Know is ?discreet? and ?tasteful.? I can't wait to see the reality check this guy is hit with. Peeple should have been a clear message to these folk.

So in case you wanted to have another helping of insane added to your week, fear not, The Know has you covered! More information can be found here via The Observer and here via The Young Turks. Have fun!

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
So people who are paranoid about who they date are going to get to hear biased opinions with possible lies and half truths from disgruntled ex'es.... Great.

and thats before you consider the possibility of murderers and rapists using it to gather information on a targets routine...

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Fieldy409 said:
...and thats before you consider the possibility of murderers and rapists using it to gather information on a targets routine...
Sure, but they'll be doing it discreetly and tastefully. Let's not overlook that in our rush to condemn!

Jan 12, 2012
Oh yeah, let's just give this service detailed personal information about our associates, from their specific address and phone number to the make and model of their car. There's no way this is an elaborate phishing scam seeking to gather as much personal data as possible. [/s]

Seriously, what even is this? I can vaguely understand it using your address or place of work to find someone who might know you (even if I think that's a massive invasion of privacy; imagine showing up at someone's office, or going door to door in their neighbourhood, and asking people what they really think about Steve) but why does it need such detailed information?!?

My favourite bit is about how they argue this creates 'transparency' in a relationship. Because nothing demonstrates transparency like finding random anonymous people who have an unknown connection to a mutual acquaintance and asking them for secrets behind the person's back.

Hartland

Apr 16, 2012
What's to stop one from putting in one's own information in the fields and just talk (or lie) about oneself?

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
If any of my friends put anything on a thing like this about me, it would automaticly disqualify them as being my friends.

Say if someone is driving badly, I can input their car licence plate into my phone and find where they live and wreck their car while they sleep?

But even if it is used how they want it, they're advertising this for dating, but the only people who will use this will be ex's, and it should be obvious not to take what they say without some salt. On the otherhand what's to stop me getting everyone I know to create fake accounts and post how awesome I am? Therefore the only 'reviews' will be biased one way or another.

So I belive this fails both moraly and in execution.

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
The only possible good I could see coming from it would be if every other app (facebook, tinder, etc) flagged users, as in, *This person has downloaded The Know*... it would make you think twice about wanting to associate with that kind of a person.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Hartland said:
What's to stop one from putting in one's own information in the fields and just talk (or lie) about oneself?
Yeah, that's what I was going to say. What's stopping Sex Offender Jim from giving himself glowing reviews to reassure you he's actually a great guy and you shouldn't let first impressions put you off, whilst he sits at home laughing and polishing his rape cage? Anonymous leaves it open to manipulation and trolls like nothing else.

That and while this may only apply to certain countries, I know here in the UK under the Data Protection Act companies aren't legally allowed to store personal data on people without their permission in most cases, so that whole business model of getting other people to input names, addresses and phone numbers etc of named living individuals is very probably illegal. Probably, I'm not a lawyer so it's possible there's a loophole I'm overlooking here.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Anyone who's even tangentally worked in customer service of any kind knows that people are about ten times as likely to complain as they are to praise. Add to that the fact that we feel justified in wronging people who we think have wronged us first, and you end up with the only people really being interested in using something like Peeple or The Know seeking to denigrate others.

The only people who could be in favor of this are either utterly clueless or seeking to profit from that situation.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Elvis Starburst said:
He said it?s better than the ?audacious? Peeple app and its ?dreadful execution? because The Know is ?discreet? and ?tasteful.?
I'm going to use this logic in my regular life. Next time I squeeze a woman's butt on a crowded subway train, I'll tell her its okay, because copping a feel against someones will is more discreet and tasteful then slamming my face into her breast and motorboating her.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Rooster Teeth entertainment has a show called "The Know". I wonder if this app qualifies as copyright infringement.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
AccursedTheory said:
Elvis Starburst said:
He said it?s better than the ?audacious? Peeple app and its ?dreadful execution? because The Know is ?discreet? and ?tasteful.?
I'm going to use this logic in my regular life. Next time I squeeze a woman's butt on a crowded subway train, I'll tell her its okay, because copping a feel against someones will is more discreet and tasteful then slamming my face into her breast and motorboating her.
Well there is your problem. You're not suppose to squeeze. Just pet it.
JoJo said:
Hartland said:
Yeah, that's what I was going to say. What's stopping Sex Offender Jim from giving himself glowing reviews to reassure you he's actually a great guy and you shouldn't let first impressions put you off, whilst he sits at home laughing and polishing his rape cage? Anonymous leaves it open to manipulation and trolls like nothing else.

That and while this may only apply to certain countries, I know here in the UK under the Data Protection Act companies aren't legally allowed to store personal data on people without their permission in most cases, so that whole business model of getting other people to input names, addresses and phone numbers etc of named living individuals is very probably illegal. Probably, I'm not a lawyer so it's possible there's a loophole I'm overlooking here.
Damn, why do we always have to go to extremes. Why can't i just use the app to give myself a little praise in order to convice a girl im a good guy.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
The Rogue Wolf said:
Anyone who's even tangentally worked in customer service of any kind knows that people are about ten times as likely to complain as they are to praise. Add to that the fact that we feel justified in wronging people who we think have wronged us first, and you end up with the only people really being interested in using something like Peeple or The Know seeking to denigrate others.

The only people who could be in favor of this are either utterly clueless or seeking to profit from that situation.
That I think is the fundamental problem in all this; only malicious people with a some kind of grudge would spend their time using any of these apps. After all, how many people are going to use these apps to talk about completely mundane relationships, where the people in involved are decent, but nothing special either way?

Also, once again, just like with Peeple, I think the very use of such an app is more of a stain on someone's character than any of the hearsay gathered from it.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
This is the cancer that social media has been building towards ever since the rise of Facebook.

Enjoy it friends, as people give up more and more of their privacy and succumb to pettiness.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Enjoy it friends, as people give up more and more of their privacy and succumb to pettiness.
I think the issue we face now isn't that people are giving up their privacy (I think its dumb, but to each his own), but that OTHER people can give up YOUR privacy, to compete strangers.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
I think the issue we face now isn't that people are giving up their privacy (I think its dumb, but to each his own), but that OTHER people can give up YOUR privacy, to compete strangers.
It's created with intent by another person, to me that's "giving up" enough. Just using the app is basically the same thing for me, as they both show a basic disregard for privacy.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
This is such a horrible idea. We're quickly approaching a singularity here, where everyone will be so damned by all the random information about them, that nobody will be able to get a job, and it just gets worse.

Honestly, it wouldn't be so bad if dumb petty stuff didn't affect you. The fact that some stupid crap someone said about you has an impact on how you can be hired, and now potentially worse, is really a terrible thing.

Plus, people give review about themselves, companies submit review about themselves, or bad ones to competitors, or people looking to get an exclusive job give each other bad reviews, and it quickly becomes about who can cheat and manipulate the system for their own unfair gain. This whole thing just stinks on so many levels.