The Labels

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
james.sponge said:
Jandau said:
Nothing new here. People like thinking that they themselves are perfectly balanced. They alone are doing stuff the way it's meant to be done.

You game more than me? You're a No-lifer!
You game less than me? You're a Casual!

You put in more effort than me? You're a Tryhard!
You put in less effort than me? You're a Scrub

You play better than me? You're a Cheater!
You play worse than me? You're a Noob!

The list goes on and on...
Now, how do you call a guy who is having more fun than you? :)
Delusional?
Everyone knows that I have the most fun while gaming.
Even when I barely enjoy.

Also, "scrub"?
Is this really a thing?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
james.sponge said:
Jandau said:
Nothing new here. People like thinking that they themselves are perfectly balanced. They alone are doing stuff the way it's meant to be done.

I call him a liar, because nobody is having more fun than me! It's literally impossible for someone to have more fun than me since I'm the only one playing the games right. Or at least, I would be having the most fun if it weren't for all those no-lifers, casuals, tryhards, scrubs, cheaters and noobs... ;)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Imp Emissary said:
Because it's a very stupid name? ;p
Well, more the irony of someone losing their shit trying to beat me and then accusing me of trying too hard. Like, I'm a fairly casual player of most games I play. I don't play LOL or DOTA, and most of the online multiplayer I play to play with friends. I play without them to get better, but I don't put significant effort into it. And I'm not all that good. My KDR in BLOPS2 was just baaarely positive.

I mean really? How is "you put too much effort into things" really that much of an insult?
I think it's a leftover from the 90s. Growing up in the 90s, caring or trying were like, cardinal sins. You see a lot of both on the internet, still.

But yeah, it's a dumb insult. Just not the part that made it funny to me.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
u fkken wot
u menshun casuL??? sme riters on scappis writen cumks abt casul fggts das bulsht. stp scrbs havn fun an casuls trrin hard sch bullsht. nxt thng u kno croy n grey wll mke comcs bout leg of legs

casuls

Dollabillyall

Jul 18, 2012
Everybody who calls someone a tryhard is just redirecting frustration over his own failure towards those who can accomplish more with the same effort.
Also, the names that go down in history all almost exclusively tryhards. Einstein tried hard, he became the patron saint of intellectualism. Bill Gates tried hard, he became a billionaire. Jimi Hendrix tried hard, he became one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Dschingis Khan tried hard, he became emperor over the largest empire in the history of the world. Fatal1ty tried hard, he is still paying rent from gaming dollars. I tried hard, I won games and got into gold where life is good.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
blackrave said:
Also, "scrub"?
Is this really a thing?
Ayup.

And has been for quite some time. I blame TLC.
What is TLC?

Jandau said:
james.sponge said:
Jandau said:

I call him a liar, because nobody is having more fun than me! It's literally impossible for someone to have more fun than me since I'm the only one playing the games right. Or at least, I would be having the most fun if it weren't for all those no-lifers, casuals, tryhards, scrubs, cheaters and noobs... ;)
You sir apparently are delusional :D

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Dollabillyall said:
Everybody who calls someone a tryhard is just redirecting frustration over his own failure towards those who can accomplish more with the same effort.
Also, the names that go down in history all almost exclusively tryhards. Einstein tried hard, he became the patron saint of intellectualism. Bill Gates tried hard, he became a billionaire. Jimi Hendrix tried hard, he became one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Dschingis Khan tried hard, he became emperor over the largest empire in the history of the world. Fatal1ty tried hard, he is still paying rent from gaming dollars. I tried hard, I won games and got into gold where life is good.
Dschingis Kahn is a pop band, you mean Ghenghis or Ogedai?

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I only use gaming insults that are based upon some sort of objective truth.

Like calling people squeakers if their voices squeak. It's nothing personal, they just have really annoying voices.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Back in the day, we just described such a person as being unscrupulous. The term "tryhard" is just a new word for an old concept.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Jandau said:

I have to agree, and the problem isn't just among gamers. Many people in all walks of life do this same sort of rationalization and projection to somehow make themselves feel better about their own situation; essentially, these people are unconsciously saying to themselves, "everyone should be like me so that I feel more normal and secure in who I am, how I behave, and the choices I make in life." It's a mental defense mechanism, of which we are often unaware.

When we become more aware that we are engaging in such a mental self-defense, we can more actively seek not to engage in such delusions and become more truly secure and content in who we are as a person while accepting and appreciating the differences of others. We can elevate ourselves to no longer need such a primitive reactionary system to be happy with ourselves and to love ourselves, and we can seek to extend that happiness and love to others.

FLOWER POWER!...HOOOOO!!!

(Sorry, had to add that bit at the end after such a sappy, love-love post...hehe.)

Aug 1, 2010
It's always weird to see terms and bits of culture pass through mediums.

Apparently "tryhard" has only just entered the gaming vocabulary.

I've been calling people tryhards on internet forums for the past half decade.

Though it seems to have a different meaning in gaming circles.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I admit, all these online multiplayer/mmo themed strips fly right over my head, but at least I got the punchline this time, so go me. XD

the "heads I win/tails you lose" mentality of online gaming is what keeps me strictly a single player cat.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Mike Fang said:
Gorrath said:
It's an interesting phenomenon the way people so casually toss aside common decency when the chance of someone punching their face in is reduced to near 0%. I'm curious how many of our social niceties are derived directly from the fear of getting one's ass kicked.
I believe it was Robert Howard who said through his creation "Conan the Barbarian" the following about civility, courtesy and manners. It's surprisingly accurate, even today:

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

This, sadly, tends to be true. On the internet, when you don't have to worry about any sort of reprimand harsher than some poorly-typed profanity, a lot of people tend to stop caring about showing what was once considered common courtesy. Being civil even when disagreeing with someone on an issue, trying to make a good first impression, trying to keep other people's feelings or comfort in mind before you say something or behave a certain way, yeah, not something you see very often anymore. It's less frequent, even in real life public, these days and online, it's almost nonexistent. The prevailing attitude unfortunately seems to be "Fuck You, Got Mine".
I love, love, love me some Conan the Barbarian. Forgot about that quote too. If we have seen a downward trend in real life niceties as well, it may also be linked to the same issue. Time was, if someone insulted you viciously and inappropriately, no one would bat an eye if you punched them for it. Now a-days, people will sue the crap out of you for it. Not that that's an issue mind, violent behavior is not an appropriate response to insults, but it has likely degraded people's sense of politeness.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Imp Emissary said:
Because it's a very stupid name? ;p
Well, more the irony of someone losing their shit trying to beat me and then accusing me of trying too hard. Like, I'm a fairly casual player of most games I play. I don't play LOL or DOTA, and most of the online multiplayer I play to play with friends. I play without them to get better, but I don't put significant effort into it. And I'm not all that good. My KDR in BLOPS2 was just baaarely positive.

I mean really? How is "you put too much effort into things" really that much of an insult?
I think it's a leftover from the 90s. Growing up in the 90s, caring or trying were like, cardinal sins. You see a lot of both on the internet, still.

But yeah, it's a dumb insult. Just not the part that made it funny to me.
You make a good point.
xD Makes it seem even more silly even. What will they think of next? :p

Also, why is it that whenever someone mentions the 90's on the internet, it seems to be bad?
As someone born in the 90's, this is discouraging. ;p

[sub]P.S. I have seen enough of MovieBob's shows about "old" things to know "why".[/sub]

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
blackrave said:
Also, "scrub"?
Is this really a thing?
Ayup.

I don't know what TLC is, but I remember seeing the word scrub thrown around in C&C, WarCraft and StarCraft a lot back in the 90's. Though I didn't see it get particularly popular outside of those games until Pure Pwnage got popular in around 2004.

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
Gorrath said:
It's an interesting phenomenon the way people so casually toss aside common decency when the chance of someone punching their face in is reduced to near 0%. I'm curious how many of our social niceties are derived directly from the fear of getting one's ass kicked.
Just look at ancient Japan! The nobles there did a whole lot of "You look lovely today! Code for, I want to kill you so bad right now!". Really funny to read about.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I thought the important part about being a scrub was always telling others how they should play the game.

SoulMan007

Sep 21, 2009
VanQ said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
blackrave said:
Also, "scrub"?
Is this really a thing?
Ayup.

I don't know what TLC is, but I remember seeing the word scrub thrown around in C&C, WarCraft and StarCraft a lot back in the 90's. Though I didn't see it get particularly popular outside of those games until Pure Pwnage got popular in around 2004.
TLC was a Band from the 90s. One of their 'hits' was a song called 'No Scrubs'. When in reality the term came from Street Fighter 2 (at least according to the urban dictionary).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLC_(group)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Scrubs

also

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scrub&defid=3583277