The Labels

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Reminds me of when I once repeatedly killed a 9 year old in Call of Duty.

Oh god, his tears and isults. Funniest expreience I've ever had in online gaming.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
In my experience when I see someone called "tryhard" its because they are absolutely devoted to winning, fun isn't allowed and if they lose they rage hard. Also as an aside: I'll stop calling people bads when they stop being bad, stop calling them scrubs when they stop being under the delusion that they know what they are talking about, and stop insulting people in general when they stop being amusingly mad. Nothing makes my day like killing someone in LoL for the third time in a row and saying "having fun?" in allchat and watching them throw a tantrum.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Tryhard.. truly a label I just don't understand at all. Yep, trying to actually win in a competitive game that ends with those on the winning side and those on the losing side sure is a bad thing.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I don't mind the trying-hard label. Since when is it not cool to try hard at something? Since when is being casually uninterestead and too cool to put actual effort a good thing?

It's way more engaging and meaningful to put effort in something than to just mess around without much investment. Sure, the latter may be more "fun" but there's things out there superior to mere fun.

Pogilrup

Apr 1, 2013
Is there an insult for someone who keeps trying hard at one thing but continues to fail to achieve anything out of it?

Someone who keeps keeps failing at something but continues to try hard even when it is clear that the person will never be able to get to his or her goal.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I guess...that makes me a misanthrop? What do you call someone who almost exclusively plays offline and/or by myself? Poor? Sad? I dunno...probably just casual since I can't prove my awesomeness.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I don't know anymore!! X(

I've got money for games, kinda, but I don't really have time to game anymore. Gone from the home about 12 hours 5 days a week, almost that much saturday, and free on sunday, where I catch up on recordings. I mean, I try, and game when I can, but gah~!

SuperScrub

May 3, 2012
And this is why my screen name is SuperScrub, if I get my ass beat because I don't feel like practicing everyday all day and the winner calls me a scrub, I can say, "I'm not a scrub, I'm a SuperScrub." And watch the dumbfounded looks on their faces.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dovah Kiin said:
Tryhard is someone who isn't "TRYING HARD" but rather is a moron who is trying to win when everyone else is simply goofing off.
Pretending that won't change its common usage. Sorry.

Nor will ignoring the largely jocular nature of that post.

Dreiko said:
I don't mind the trying-hard label. Since when is it not cool to try hard at something? Since when is being casually uninterestead and too cool to put actual effort a good thing?
Since the 90s and cynicism/counter culture.
Shoggoth2588 said:
I guess...that makes me a misanthrop? What do you call someone who almost exclusively plays offline and/or by myself? Poor? Sad? I dunno...probably just casual since I can't prove my awesomeness.
You say "misanthrope" like it's a bad thing.

*reads definition*

Oh.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SuperScrub said:
And this is why my screen name is SuperScrub, if I get my ass beat because I don't feel like practicing everyday all day and the winner calls me a scrub, I can say, "I'm not a scrub, I'm a SuperScrub." And watch the dumbfounded looks on their faces.
So does that mean you're really good at being bad, or you're bad at being bad?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dreiko said:
Since the 90s and cynicism/counter culture.
Well, I reject that definition of the 90s and as someone who remembers their vast majority due to being born in 88 I will go on being earnestly genuine in my fascinations with all the things that I enjoy in this wondeful, cheesy world that we live in!

SuperScrub

May 3, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
SuperScrub said:
So does that mean you're really good at being bad, or you're bad at being bad?
It means I'm tired of fellow gamers labeling me based on how obsessed I am with a game and I decided to take the very insults they call me into my own identity as a gamer.

Dollabillyall

Jul 18, 2012
Requia said:
Dollabillyall said:
Requia said:
Dollabillyall said:
Everybody who calls someone a tryhard is just redirecting frustration over his own failure towards those who can accomplish more with the same effort.
Also, the names that go down in history all almost exclusively tryhards. Einstein tried hard, he became the patron saint of intellectualism. Bill Gates tried hard, he became a billionaire. Jimi Hendrix tried hard, he became one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Dschingis Khan tried hard, he became emperor over the largest empire in the history of the world. Fatal1ty tried hard, he is still paying rent from gaming dollars. I tried hard, I won games and got into gold where life is good.
Dschingis Kahn is a pop band, you mean Ghenghis or Ogedai?
I mean the guy who was the great khan of the mongol empire. Spellingwise... they had a different script all together and we don't know exactly how to write or pronounce it but I can see the confusion my spelling has brought.
That was both of them... and they had no script at all.
Actually they did, it's called Uygurjin and it's created ca 1204 AD by a Naiman scribe named Tata Tunga that was captured by... Dschingis/Genghis Khan a.k.a. Temujin when he defeated the Naiman in battle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_alphabets

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
RaikuFA said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
james.sponge said:
Jandau said:
Nothing new here. People like thinking that they themselves are perfectly balanced. They alone are doing stuff the way it's meant to be done.

You game more than me? You're a No-lifer!
You game less than me? You're a Casual!

You put in more effort than me? You're a Tryhard!
You put in less effort than me? You're a Scrub

You play better than me? You're a Cheater!
You play worse than me? You're a Noob!

The list goes on and on...
Now, how do you call a guy who is having more fun than you? :)
A true and actual gamer who gets the point of gaming. Anyone not having fun and calling people these names as a result? Not a gamer at all.
They're called filthy casuals.

OT: Why isn't this brought up more? I've been trying to bring it up for quite some time and yet it falls on deaf ears.
I think the problem is that it IS brought up...but no one wants to listen. They are too busy listening to themselves in smug satisfation because they hold their own beliefs as gospel truth...even thought the rest of the world's trying to say they are so full of excrement they could be used to make one heck of an explosive.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dreiko said:
Well, I reject that definition of the 90s and as someone who remembers their vast majority due to being born in 88 I will go on being earnestly genuine in my fascinations with all the things that I enjoy in this wondeful, cheesy world that we live in!
Bah. You kids! I was old enough to experience the 90s! Now get off my lawn!

:p

But yeah, it is what you make of it.

SuperScrub said:
It means I'm tired of fellow gamers labeling me based on how obsessed I am with a game and I decided to take the very insults they call me into my own identity as a gamer.
But isn't that effectively letting them label you?

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Ishal said:
I love how Grey descends further and further into the realm of DOTA, I can hazard a guess if the material spawned from there or in other areas of gaming.

Not a bad thing, though. For someone who criticizes/satirizes the gaming community through his comics, its pretty funny seeing him involved in one of shittiest parts of it. Should be a goldmine of material for him.
While this comic might be based around DOTA, the culture is the same in all aspects of competitive online gaming. It kind of applies everywhere really. I was being called a scrub in Halo long before DOTA existed.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
GamemasterAnthony said:
RaikuFA said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
james.sponge said:
Jandau said:
Nothing new here. People like thinking that they themselves are perfectly balanced. They alone are doing stuff the way it's meant to be done.

You game more than me? You're a No-lifer!
You game less than me? You're a Casual!

You put in more effort than me? You're a Tryhard!
You put in less effort than me? You're a Scrub

You play better than me? You're a Cheater!
You play worse than me? You're a Noob!

The list goes on and on...
Now, how do you call a guy who is having more fun than you? :)
A true and actual gamer who gets the point of gaming. Anyone not having fun and calling people these names as a result? Not a gamer at all.
They're called filthy casuals.

OT: Why isn't this brought up more? I've been trying to bring it up for quite some time and yet it falls on deaf ears.
I think the problem is that it IS brought up...but no one wants to listen. They are too busy listening to themselves in smug satisfation because they hold their own beliefs as gospel truth...even thought the rest of the world's trying to say they are so full of excrement they could be used to make one heck of an explosive.
It's the biggest reason why I hate fighters, MOBA's and XBL. Yet no one want's to hear nor care.

Mayabe someone needs to be beaten within an inch of their life first before anyone will give a flying fuck. And that's sad.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I was not aware "tryhard" was such a big deal. But, more importantly, will these future possible comics contain even more gloriously rendered alien bottom?