The Last of Us Developer Disputes Claims of Sexism

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
The Last of Us Developer Disputes Claims of Sexism

One Naughty Dog developer argues that The Last of Us was never about Joel, nor was it about Ellie - it's about depending on someone.

The Last of Us was very well-received at launch, but some people still had complaints (as people so often do). In particular, decided to revisit that review in an editorial piece [http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/arts/video-games/in-the-video-game-the-last-of-us-survival-favors-the-man.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1388502756-I53tGojVXHfK+lpia0hNOQ] defending the game - and the role that she and her female peers played in creating it. Minor spoilers below.

"Ellie's power comes from her bravery, ingenuity and determination throughout the game," Neonakis writes. "It was also shown in her ability during the game's final moment to accept Joel for all of his flaws and forgive him, because she understood that he needed her more than she needed him. She was ultimately the hero of this story. She's powerful the whole time, and it had nothing to do with wielding a gun or physical ability. In an industry that more often than not represents women as either a damsel in distress or a male character in a female body, this was a triumph in storytelling and representation."

"Her journey from a damsel in distress to a fully capable and complex character is made clear through the relationship she develops with Joel," she continues. "Likewise, Joel's growth could not have happened without Ellie. This was not a game 'about men.' It was about a mutual relationship and about how people need one another."

Naughty Dog is currently working on Left Behind, a single-player DLC storyline starring Ellie and her best friend Riley before the events of The Last of Us. That friendship is bound to be a very different kind of relationship from Joel and Ellie's, so we'll see what other themes Naughty Dog decides to explore.

Source: New York Times [http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/30/game-theory-the-last-of-us-revisited/?_r=0]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
These guys dont have to defend shit even if it was a case where there was actually something to argue about, they made a game with a story that they wanted to tell, doesnt cater to your specific idea of what the game should be? Then go fuck yourself instead of claiming that its wrong for not being that.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Wondering why they're going back to such an old complaint after so long. And let's be frank, did anyone EVER take that complaint about the Last of Us seriously?

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
"made by men, for men and about men." Forgets to mention about killing a lot of men who are scumbag killers of other men

It was such an offensive game that the only two men worth of any importance completely overshadowed The Last moments before Joel's daughter died and made you give a damn about her as opposed to hundreds of anon manly men scumbags nobody will shed tears for

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It's particularly cutting to say that a game is a lot like lots of other games? Huh.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This still needed defending?

The people critisizing it were already grabbing at straws. That says more than enough.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Totally agree with the quotes taken from the Naughty Dog article. This is not a game "made by men, for men and about men." I should probably go and read both pieces in full to make a proper informed judgement.

Oh god the original article mentioned Anita Sarkeesian.

[HEADING=2]ABORTING THREAD[/HEADING]

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
"New York Times"
"Games Journalism"

There we go folks, story over.
Although it makes me wonder how someone could misinterpretation a story about a parent/child relationship as sexist. The game is somehow less subtle about that dynamic than Walking Dead S1.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Before people start popping veins on their foreheads, I would like to remind them that this wasn't a particularly common complaint when the game was released, so it might be a good idea not to make it into a huge issue now, 6 months after the release of the game. Unless you love pointless drama, of course.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
I am still too raw from the ending of LoU to care one whit about what this idiot thinks negatively about the game. It was a masterpiece. Best game of 2013 in my eyes. Best game ever on the PS3 as well in my eyes. Everyone has to tear down the popular target it seems.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Drummodino said:
[HEADING=2]ABORTING THREAD[/HEADING]
Yes, please.

Also, while I think that claiming that TLoU pushed the industry forward with regards to female characters and sexism is silly and those people should actually play games (FF6 came out 19 years ago with multiple awesome female PCs shut up), but it's certainly not sexist. That's all I'm speculating, though, because I can't be arsed to purchase games for 60 USD up front. Fuck the police.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Exactly why did they decided to revisit an old article and make comeback to it?

It's like the equivalent of coming back 10 minutes later after you got the smack down to make your own comeback because you just thought of a genius insult while your were stewing in your private place.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Exactly why did they decided to revisit an old article and make comeback to it?

It's like the equivalent of coming back 10 minutes later after you got the smack down to make your own comeback because you just thought of a genius insult while your were stewing in your private place.
Because if they do it to quickly, people claim that it was sexist and the quickness in which they responded proves it. With claims of sexism, companies also want to make sure that its worded correctly.

I think we should just ignore most peoples claims of sexism anyway, as its mostly grasping at straws in many places and is currently being used as a "make games for me, specifically me, nobody else" platform than as an actual solution, from what i've observed when people are attacking games that only feature male characters.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
My "favourite" was that article someone wrote about how the game is sexist because Ellie actually had an emotional reaction after being forced to hack a rapist cannibal to death, as he was trying to strangle her.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
I just want to put it out there that I did not like The Last Of Us as I found the the gameplay atrocious, the game itself overly linear and felt the graphics were stale, however, not for one second would I consider what I played to be sexist in the slightest and actually came off as one of the most human experiences I have yet to play. To call this game sexist however is ridiculous, delusional and flat out wrong. Throwing out this kind of slander all willy-nilly both sullies the name of feminism, moots the definition of sexism and just makes you look like a wanker to those of whom who have actually played the game and for what, views? Pathetic.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
"ism" claims are absurdly easy to make and they are becoming so rampant that they are starting to loose their relevancy. You could claim the escapist is sexist and racist because all the reviewers are white and only one is female, and she's relegated to just doing top five lists.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
erttheking said:
Wondering why they're going back to such an old complaint after so long. And let's be frank, did anyone EVER take that complaint about the Last of Us seriously?
Actually, I think it made a few good points.

The article wasn't saying the game was bad because it had a few lest then desirable tropes in it. In fact, they said quite the opposite. Giving the game lots of praise. Especially about the parts where we got to play as Ellie.
Chris Suellentrop is hardly the first person I've seen say they almost wanted Joel to die so they could continue to play as Ellie. [sub]Heck, I've seen someone say they wished you could kill Joel as Ellie at the end. <.<[/sub]

It would have been neat if we got to play more of the game as Ellie, or even Sarah.

That said, I agree with the idea that the game wasn't just about one character or another, but about them surviving together.

Plus, from what this article says, we may get a lot more time to play as Ellie soon.
:) That is good.