The Last Of Us Faces Another Rip-Off Accusation - UPDATED

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
BarelyAudible said:
Say, remember when Glee used Jonathan Coulton's cover of Baby Got Back without permission?
Coulton was cool about it, and as a result people sided with him and he gained a loyal following of supporters. That's how you do it. Acting like a dick never pays out in the long run.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
ravenshrike said:
It was the same map as the official MBTA map with two small changes made. Same colors, same font, etc... As it still had all the official MBTA trademarks on it, as well as their web address, he cannot remotely claim copyright.
I won't comment on this guy suing or whatever, but if it's virtually identical to the actual official map down to MBTA trademarks, Naughty Dog are REALLY bloody stupid.
Agreed, as much as I love Naughty Dog, they screwed the pooch on this one. They should just pay the man what would normally be required to use the image and apologize. It'd be good PR, and everyone wins.

EDIT:Sounds like it's been resolved, everybody wins. People make mistakes, but if they own up to them and sort shit out, then it's okay.

Sep 14, 2009
Abomination said:
erbkaiser said:
Edited:
apparently it's resolved.
http://transitmaps.tumblr.com/post/53696766419/boston-theft

UPDATE, TUESDAY JUNE 25, 1:00pm: I?ve just spoken with Naughty Dog over the phone in a very constructive conversation. Can?t say more at the moment, but it seems as if matters will be resolved to everyone?s satisfaction shortly. I can say that they do acknowledge their error in using my map and were very apologetic for it. I likewise apologised for my initial vitriolic post. A lot of mutual respect for each other?s creative work.

It?s been a hell of a last couple of days: thanks for the support from many, and the interesting and varied comments from most.

Hopefully, back to regularly scheduled Transit Maps content soon!
I'm sorry, I'd hardly consider the opportunity to get financial compensation from a AAA video game developer/publisher to be "hell".

Are all artists or graphic designers such pretentious or dramatic knobends? Would he have turned up to court with his neck in a brace?
well, to generalize, from the 10 or so graphic designer/artists (legitimate, as in selling work for 10,000+ dollars type stuff) i know personally, then yes, you can fucking FEEL their ego when they walk into the room, so yeah, alot of them can be quite pretentious.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
this kind of reminds me of that little fiasco a while back where that old woman did "a few touch-ups" on that church's painting and all of a sudden a lot of people come to see the ugly thing and then the family demands compensation for it.

MindFragged

Apr 2, 2009
I'm not sure why people don't get this. If he made it, not only does he have the right but he deserves to be paid for it. You could give Naughty Dog the benefit of the doubt; maybe they did think it was a freebee - doesn't change the fact they owe him something, and should be up front about it.

There are plenty of misuses of copyright law, but this isn't one of them. Artists - freelance, contracted, amateur, whatever - should have the right to be paid for their work, especially if someone is profiting from it. It doesn't matter if it's not an integral part of the final piece: if it was so easy to make, perhaps they should've mocked one up themselves.

PS: I agree, the guy does seem to be making a song and dance about it, but I don't accept people's assertions that this is nothing more than someone trying to undeservedly jump on the back of a AAA game.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Too bad this Booth fellow fails to mention that his modified transit map heavily rips off the design style of the maps issued by the London Underground.

MindFragged

Apr 2, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Too bad this Booth fellow fails to mention that his modified transit map heavily rips off the design style of the maps issued by the London Underground.
Nevertheless, it was he who put those motifs to work on a Boston Underground map. I'm pretty certain he'll have constructed that image from the ground up, even though you're right - it reminds me of London's too.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
After comparing the official map to Mr. Booth's, it's clear his map is original work. According to his twitter, he is in contact with Sony/Naughty Dog and they are working things out and have admitted error.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Hmm. It seems hard to make a judgement call on this one without actually knowing how much work he put into the map, and how different it is from the original. If it was me I would have tweeted at them sarcastically saying thanks for using my shit without my permission, but that would have been the end of it.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
This article is the reason why I think Amazon's licensed fanfiction idea is so bad. Whether or not I agree with any one side in this particular debate, it nonetheless stands to reason that writers would have no recourse for compensation if a company just ripped off their ideas.

Granted, the likelihood of making a profit off of fanfiction is something reserved for tripe-mongers like Stephanie Myer, but still, the point stands.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
IshimaruHayato said:
Everyone is in the mood to sue sue sue. Good god its like we cant just let people make money for being creative.
1. Nobody was suing.

2. I really hope you understand the irony of saying that we should just let people make money for being creative when the people in question are ripping off someone else's work.

chozo_hybrid said:
EDIT:Sounds like it's been resolved, everybody wins. People make mistakes, but if they own up to them and sort shit out, then it's okay.
I was going to point out it was resolved and both sides apologised, but it appears you know this, so...

Carry on.

Kalezian said:
I am currently making a COMPLETELY ORIGINAL, DO NOT STEAL map of the Boston Transit area.

the major change, there is a picture of a Pony on the side of it.

Now, Mr. IP troll, you now owe me money for copying MY work, I will accept no less than $113367832316574684 in Rubles to be paid in cash, or if that is not possible, no less than exactly 5 3/24 of Ponies in the pink or lightish red coloration.

But yea, you cant claim IP over something that you yourself copied, if so, then my demands must be met by no later than February 31st, 2013.
That was either brilliant satire or a gross misrepresentation, and I'm not sure which.

KeyMaster45 said:
I would point out that "in the style of" or "reminiscent of" aren't likely to get you anywhere legally, while "taking a work wholesale" which ND did regardless of origin is an actual issue.

Sep 24, 2008
kailus13 said:
Quiotu said:
Huh... didn't even think of maps being copyrighted, but apparently it's a big business. Some manufacturers even have copyright traps in their maps, adding towns or points of interest on their maps that don't actually exist to make it easier to tell if the map is theirs or not
I would be so pissed if I went to a town that had an interesting name, only for it to turn out not to exist. Isn't the point of maps to show what's actually there?
Well, if a town didn't exist, they don't have any commerce or any places of interest... so one would ask why are you trying to get there?

OneTwoThreeBlast

Jun 24, 2010
My gosh, it's ridiculous how many people on this site think they're suddenly lawyers any time something about intellectual property comes up (note: I'm not talking to those of you who have rightly said that this guy does have a copyright claim).

Just because you've read some articles that mention intellectual property doesn't mean you know the law. The law does not always follow your personal logic, conscience, ethics, beliefs, etc. It's incredibly unproductive when people with no legal education comment as if they are giving a factual account of the law. It's silly, lazy, and, worst of all, it perpetuates that misinformation.

This guy probably has a damn good case (I can't say anything for sure since I, like the rest of you, can't possibly know every fact in the case). First off, those of you saying he merely changed a couple of things on the map should actually compare the original and his map before actually making that assertion. The changes he made were quite significant, not only from an aesthetic point of view, but from a legal one. The changes are sufficient to make it an original work under the law.

For those saying that Naughty Dog might have just made an honest mistake, this is an understandable view, but it's almost completely certain not to be the case. Videogame companies are very well-versed in intellectual property law. A company like Naughty Dog likely has in-house lawyers to work on this stuff (and, even if they don't, it doesn't really matter). They know what can and can't be used without permission, and they know better than to simply do a search on something and then assume they can use it because it turned up on google (heck, even most of the people here know that).

For those saying that this is just a case of some guy trying to "extort" money from someone who is more successful: what's your point? First off, it's not extortion. Let's just get that straight. This guy created an original work, and somebody else used it without permission or payment. That is illegal, no matter who you are. To design the map themselves would have taken labor and time, which costs what? It costs MONEY. They avoided paying that money by using his work; therefore, the money should go to him, as he did work for them that otherwise would have to be done by actual paid employees. Just because ND has a successful game out does not in any way mean that they get to do what they want when it comes to the law. Could you imagine what kind of world this would be if your philosophy was actually the prevailing wisdom?

Finally, for those who say it's just a small part of the game: again, what's your point? So, if someone steals your work, but uses it as just a small part of a larger work, that's ok? Just because it's a small part of something larger means that they shouldn't ask for your permission or pay you for the work you did, which they would otherwise have to pay to someone else to use their work?

As the facts stand before us right now, ND stole from this guy. It's as simple as that. Nothing else matters. Not your personal beliefs, not the work's significance in the whole of the game, not whether the work was based on a different map, not whether you believe certain things about the law that aren't true.

EDIT: and, of course, I would be remiss not to add one more comment about the sad, cruel irony of people defending a videogame company stealing intellectual property from some single graphic designer in MA.

EDIT 2: considering the effects the gaming community has had on both EA's policies (their recent decision to back away from insisting on online passes) and Microsoft's next console, people should really be happy that they have more of a voice than they thought and that they might sometimes actually be able to change the predatory practices of these huge videogame companies. Instead of defending ND with fallacies and faulty legal reasoning, people should stand against game companies appropriating the works of others to fill out their games instead of paying someone to do that work or paying to obtain work that has already been done. Remember, one day you might be trying to live off your own creativity, only to find that someone is stealing your work for their own uses, AND the projects in which they're used end up making a ton of money. You won't feel so good about it then.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
to be honest when i first saw the trailer for "last of us" i thought it was suppose to be ellen page for sure. Then i saw the trailer for "beyond two souls" and was like she is voice acting in both games!?
just assumed she was getting heavy into gaming. had no idea "last of us" character wasn't meant to be based off her.

OneTwoThreeBlast

Jun 24, 2010
Ghadente said:
to be honest when i first saw the trailer for "last of us" i thought it was suppose to be ellen page for sure. Then i saw the trailer for "beyond two souls" and was like she is voice acting in both games!?
just assumed she was getting heavy into gaming. had no idea "last of us" character wasn't meant to be based off her.
Haha I had the same experience! Though I think that it's very unlikely they appropriated her likeness (what's really to be gained from that anyway? It's not like they advertised her being in the game, so the chances of them having sold even a single unit based on someone thinking that she was in the game is almost zero, so why even take such a chance?), it definitely looked like her. Still, that was a good line about how she doesn't hold the rights to being a 4'9 brunette.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Quiotu said:
Huh... didn't even think of maps being copyrighted, but apparently it's a big business. Some manufacturers even have copyright traps in their maps, adding towns or points of interest on their maps that don't actually exist to make it easier to tell if the map is theirs or not.

But here's the trick in this case. Sounds like this guy didn't publish or distribute the map they used, he just did it for S&Gs to show what was wrong. Naughty Dog basically found a way to use a non-copyright map, which is pretty rare, and now this guy doesn't have a leg to stand on in the conversation. Posting an edited map on your blog doesn't make it copyrighted.

Sure it's a bit conniving on Naughty Dog's end, but this guy isn't a victim either. Hell, he just got free publicity for a map edit he's received ZERO money for... past, present and future. Take the publicity and shut up, dude.
Actually anything created is automatically covered under copyright. If I take a photo I own the copyright, if I draw a picture its covered and if I make a fictional map based off a real location it is also covered. He created a map to show how he thinks the network needs changing, if thats his map then yes it is legally a breach of copyright to use it.