The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Season 4: Yes, I've watched the earlier seasons as well, just deciding to pipe up about it now. HOLY SHIT, this show is so good. Started a bit rocky, and I didn't really understand the hype until I got partway through Season 2...I think (watching in chronological order instead of episode order makes the first half of the show hard to keep track of). By this point, I think it's the strongest Star Wars material I've seen. Surprisingly dark for a family-oriented show, with quite a bit of grey vs grey morality, where the good guys are not bad, but they aren't completely squeaky clean, either.
Season 4? You ain’t seen the dark places The Clone Wars is willing to go to yet, young Padawan.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Oh, I'm looking forward to it. The Umbara arc was pretty dang dark by itself.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The hunter test and auction house arc are great and deviate from regular formula somewhat, but you might not be crazy about the chimera arc later that's very shonen-ey. There's also a tournament arc in between there. Also FYI there's 2 version of the anime, I assume your watching the most recent one, but otherwise it'll suddenly stop.
That's mostly what I'm worried about, the things that usually annoy me about shonen starting to pop up as I progress. I got to the clip show after the test arc yesterday, and so far there isn't any shipping, wifu, best boy/girl, garbage in the show at all. It isn't sexless, there are men and women characters (although few women so far.) But there is just no focus on romance in the story whatsoever. And good riddance, I'm not missing it at all. But... will it start to get shoehorned into a story that is getting along just fine without it? I'm hoping not, but I am fearing that and the usual anime tropes are just the kind of crutches that a lot of shonen writers fall back on when they need to pad out that runtime for the paycheck.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
That's mostly what I'm worried about, the things that usually annoy me about shonen starting to pop up as I progress. I got to the clip show after the test arc yesterday, and so far there isn't any shipping, wifu, best boy/girl, garbage in the show at all. It isn't sexless, there are men and women characters (although few women so far.) But there is just no focus on romance in the story whatsoever. And good riddance, I'm not missing it at all. But... will it start to get shoehorned into a story that is getting along just fine without it? I'm hoping not, but I am fearing that and the usual anime tropes are just the kind of crutches that a lot of shonen writers fall back on when they need to pad out that runtime for the paycheck.
No romance really (the fandom is hardcore into shipping Gon and Killua but that's just fandom). There'll be a few more female character, but it'll always be very male centric (although Kurapika sex is undetermined).

If you're worried about shoehorned romance and highschool setting, none of that show up in HxH, but its shonen-ey in that you'll have the usual crazy power creep, long explanation of character power mid fight and tournament arc. The author is also super sick (or something) so the manga progress at like 1 chapter per year, if that, so for all intent and purpose the story is over but without any real conclusion.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I started watching Nikelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Amazon Prime. Good show; shame I missed it when it was airing but I can watch it all at my leisure now. My kids like it too, which is a nice plus.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I started watching Nikelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Amazon Prime. Good show; shame I missed it when it was airing but I can watch it all at my leisure now. My kids like it too, which is a nice plus.
It's surprisingly good. I really enjoyed how much more "ninja" they come across. When Seth Green becomes Leo's VA though, I kinda lost interest.

OT: Jujutsu Kaisen 0. My first anime movie in the cinema in years. Honestly? Just felt like 3 or 4 episodes of an anime series stapled together. I liked the new character, but he doesn't even really feel like the main character of this movie. Oh well, time to read the manga.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Honzuki no Gekokujou - story was good, but the season finale seemed to skimp out. Still looking forward to the next season though, whether or not they decide to do it as a timeskip (I understand it's a continuous narrative in the LNs).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Spriggan on Netflix. First episode is awesome and a great introduction. I'll see the rest later. I hope a box set comes sooner than later for this series.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Spriggan on Netflix. First episode is awesome and a great introduction. I'll see the rest later. I hope a box set comes sooner than later for this series.
Is the new one or the old one? Clips of the old one started showing up on my feed, looks interesting.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is the new one or the old one? Clips of the old one started showing up on my feed, looks interesting.
The newer one. Note how I said the first episode. There are six episodes total in each run between 40 to 45 minutes. Netflix does not have the license for the older one. I saw the old movie once and actually owned a copy. I got it for three bucks. I later sold it somewhere else, cuz there was not much point of watching it again. The old one is not that good aside, from animation and action sequences. It's essentially a very trunicated version, of one the events of the manga boiled down to just one of the arcs.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Finished Episode 2, "Noah's Ark" of Spriggan. This what the original movie had as its story, and the TV show does it so much better. Better pacing, no padding, and straight to the point. BTW, I was not expecting Shing02 to do rap song for this episode's ending credits!

This series is like a crazy cross between Metal Gear, Soldier, and Raider's of the Lost Ark.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Episode 3 of Spriggan goes full Night of the Living Dead and an H.P Lovecraft ghost story. Grade S nightmare fuel. I won't be sleeping tonight.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Finished Episodes 5 and 6 of Spriggan. Awesome series, and can't wait for Season 2. The last episode of this season is literally Jack Krauser vs. Yu! Yu's former teacher is literally Jack Krauser, but older and slightly nicer by comparison. Colonel Bowman even has the same voice actor as Krauser! I got so much hype energy I have not felt in a long time.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well this season of anime is turning out to be a massive disappointment so I'm just catching up on Harley Quin which is pretty good.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Y'all know I've talked a lot about the failures of American comics vs Japanese manga: constant reboots, frequently changing writers meaning a complete lack of consistency, etc.
On the other hand, those approaches *do* have their upsides. Different writers can craft fantastic stories out of existing IP by coming in with fresh eyes, people raised on those stories in question can pull themes and ideas from those stories to craft masterpieces with zeal, etc.

Anyway, Toei Animation and Shueisha publishing need to hand this guy staff and funding. I want to see where this goes

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
What anime were you watching recently?
Last season I did SPY x Family, kaguya sama, demon girl next door and one more I can't remember.

For now this season I got... maybe chimimo? I'm not really into anime movie so I can't really watch made in abyss S2 since it follow a movie, I liked lucifer and the biscuit hammer manga well enough but apparently the anime is butchering the material already on episode 1. I already watched bastard and spriggan since they're netflix.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Those are all last season already??? Didn't the first two end just like last week?
Most of this season already started, with a couple of show on there second episode. Since most show are standardize lenght there doesn't tend to be much of a delay between new season.