The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Spider shit the bed so hard on the adaptation, by the end there's barely any animation, I'd hard skip unless someone is desperate for more isekai. The manga is much better anyway (cut out all the generic human side). Even then its not worth reading on after the labyrinth arc, it might as well be a different story.

Overlord also really struggle in adaptation quality, S2 was really bad and apparently S3 is worst.

I like bookworm in concept, but execution is mized. The main character is incredibly inconsistent and constantly give up over the smallest set back (often caused by her own stupidity). And around halfway point of S2 it gives up most of its premise for "the main character is the most awesome things in existence" stuff.

The only serious isekai (ie not konosuba) that I liked was grimgar, but its so different from most isekai that it makes little sense to call it as such. The character are all very weak and there's not even an hint of harem or slave girl. But it deal with loss in a pretty serious way and character action have consequence.
As for Bookworm, it really really sucks how it started going, because part 1 is so strong and different. The series is almost and edutainment story with how it goes over the details of how books have been made throughout history, paper, ink, the printing press, it goes into a lot of detail on those things and, unusual for me, but I liked the low magic setting it initially starts with. It also had real world, realistic problems, I loved the orphanage plot line because it threw cold, harsh reality at Myne with the problem she was faced with and it wasn't something solved easily or with magic or anything.

But Part 2 is when it just seemed to lose itself. It turned almost all the characters from part 1 into side characters, it stops focussing on Myne's goal of making books, Myne starts solving her problems easily and often with magic, people start inexplicably liking her at the drop of a hat whereas before she had to struggle to earn the trust of others. And it makes the character Ferdinand a second protagonist and that character encapsulates the most pervasive aspect of isekai which is hyper competent and over powered main characters with how he's capable of anything and basically runs the entire city by himself. Ugh, I fucking hate that character. Such a disappointment for me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Green Lantern: First Flight and Green Lantern: Emerald Knights - Both are animated movies with the same animation style, but different continuities. Both movies have most of the same voice actors from First Flight. First Flight is basically Hal Jordan's origin story, but it does not waste time. The animation is fluid and the action is creative. You have to be with those powered rings. Both of these movies are hands down, the best animations of the DC Animated Movies. They have Asura's Wrath style action going on here.

Emerald Knights is a anthology story that delves in to certain Lanterns origins or stories, before facing a universal destroying threat. While I love First Flight, EK has even better action scenes. This is my first time watching both of these movies, and sad I did not see them sooner. Now I am even more hyped to see the new Lantern movie coming out in late July. I watched FF and EK on HBO Max, but I plan on getting Blu Ray copies later. If you're a fan of DC, or want solo Green Lantern action with no Justice League baggage, you can't go wrong with either. A high "See it!".

K

ko11b

2 different but most recents you can watch on prime you can do medal gear for free the other you should probably rent or buy it

FF ac is definitely not a first but a reminder ff fight with sephiroth and the huge dragon is pretty epic

As for Raiden and medal gear goes his scenes are kinda hilarious especially comments and remarks from the senator they are definitely roflcopters

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Im all caught up on "Spy X Family". I gotta say the animation is gorgeous and the humor is really subtle. Between that and the jazzy sound track I cant help but find comparisons with Cowboy Bebop. Its already getting an insane amount of press but Id definitely Recommend checking it out if you haven't.

Its played similarly to cowboy bebop though in that story is light hearted, but with hints that its very possibly headed for a dark ending. Really concerned about getting attached to these characters.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Im all caught up on "Spy X Family". I gotta say the animation is gorgeous and the humor is really subtle. Between that and the jazzy sound track I cant help but find comparisons with Cowboy Bebop. Its already getting an insane amount of press but Id definitely Recommend checking it out if you haven't.

Its played similarly to cowboy bebop though in that story is light hearted, but with hints that its very possibly headed for a dark ending. Really concerned about getting attached to these characters.
A certain character has been tripping every single death flag possible in the last volume of the manga, so we'll see if it goes grim for us. I don't think the tone is going to go completely dark on us but there's been things that show up in the manga that show the author isn't afraid to at least touch on them.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
A certain character has been tripping every single death flag possible in the last volume of the manga, so we'll see if it goes grim for us. I don't think the tone is going to go completely dark on us but there's been things that show up in the manga that show the author isn't afraid to at least touch on them.
Apparently the author doesn't even particularly like the manga, he sees it as more of a way to deal with writer's block. So it kinda sounds like it was an accidental hit that he now has to keep going (although he barely releases new issues as it is). I wouldn't be surprised at all if he started making the series a little darker.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Apparently the author doesn't even particularly like the manga, he sees it as more of a way to deal with writer's block. So it kinda sounds like it was an accidental hit that he now has to keep going (although he barely releases new issues as it is). I wouldn't be surprised at all if he started making the series a little darker.
Mm, that lines up. I don't think it's a coincidence that it's so popular despite the author not planning anything big from it or expecting the reception, I think the reason it appeals to people is it's surprisingly wholesome tone in spite of the premise and setting.

Also it shows in how uneven our three main characters are. Twilight has received the most backstory and development but Anya has by far had the most screen time. As for Yor, she's had a suspicious lack of backstory and development and I think it's exactly because going into her character inherently necasatates going into darker topics and tones and taking things a bit more seriously due to the nature of her job.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The non-animated show I'm going through a rewatch of, Fringe, it... it didn't get relentlessly dark toward the end. But it started off with some real excellent humor, and it completely lost that in its last couple of seasons. So I needed something lighter anime-wise to counter that. A friend made a suggestion so I started watching Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Never had any interest before, seemed a little tropey for me from the outside. Holy crap, its delightful. So far anyway, I'm only a few episodes in. Its breezy and lighthearted in pretty much exactly the way I need when my current reading material is at a fairly depressing part and the TV show I'm rewatching is fairly dour. I thought I'd be a little self-conscious mentioning to my other pals I'm watching it, but no... its just fun and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
The non-animated show I'm going through a rewatch of, Fringe, it... it didn't get relentlessly dark toward the end. But it started off with some real excellent humor, and it completely lost that in its last couple of seasons. So I needed something lighter anime-wise to counter that. A friend made a suggestion so I started watching Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Never had any interest before, seemed a little tropey for me from the outside. Holy crap, its delightful. So far anyway, I'm only a few episodes in. Its breezy and lighthearted in pretty much exactly the way I need when my current reading material is at a fairly depressing part and the TV show I'm rewatching is fairly dour. I thought I'd be a little self-conscious mentioning to my other pals I'm watching it, but no... its just fun and I'm really enjoying it so far.
1. Fringe is such a strange show explicitly because theres a clear line where season 3 ends the original story and everything is revealed and the last 2 seasons are an entirely different storytelling format and plot. It wouldn't surprise me if the original team largely left and somebody came in after season 3.

2. Its funny how anime for all its faults can be a nice distraction for how dramatic and depressing premium cable has become. Ive been watching some silly little anime on Hulu called D-frag. Its absolutely hilarious and is essentially about nothing, kind of like the anime equivalent of Seinfeld. I watched a few episodes of dragon maid. it was solid, but not my cup of tea. I found the characters just a tad too insufferable, but its a highly personal opinion. Im a peanut butter and banana milkshake person and Dragon maid is like a birthday cheesecake shake.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Im almost done watching Avatar for the first time. Its still only okay. I get that im about 15 years older than the target demo, but even back then it would have just been okay.
Aang is okay.
Toph is great.
Sokka is like the best.
And Kitara needs to have nails driven through her eyes and beaten into submission by an angry man in a clown costume. She's the worst. And yet the show keeps giving her episodes to prove how terrible she is and the huge hinderance to their quest and their lives in general.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Im almost done watching Avatar for the first time. Its still only okay. I get that im about 15 years older than the target demo, but even back then it would have just been okay.
Aang is okay.
Toph is great.
Sokka is like the best.
And Kitara needs to have nails driven through her eyes and beaten into submission by an angry man in a clown costume. She's the worst. And yet the show keeps giving her episodes to prove how terrible she is and the huge hinderance to their quest and their lives in general.
Katara has her soapbox saddie problems, and it usually does not become problematic until the third season. More so the first half, and a little bit of the second half. That part doesn't hold up well. I still say she's better than Sasuke and Sakura. If it makes you feel any better, the comic book continuations actually do her character better. Still not my least favorite character out of the entire original series. That goes to those idiot villagers in the episode, "Avatar Day". Or Mai, Zuko's "love interest". Jin it's much better love interest. Mai only got worse with the comic continuations.

That said, if you do not like certain characterizations in the original show, then Legend of Korra really going to piss you off with certain main characters (nearly all of them in the second season) and side characters.

And yes, Sokka is the best. Zuko is great, and one of the most developed anti-villains in TV history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Katara has are soapbox saddie problems, and it usually does not become problematic until the third season. More so the first half and a little bit of the second half. That part doesn't hold up well. I still say she's better than Sasuke and Sakura. If it makes you feel any better, comic book continuations actually do her character better. Still not my least favorite character out of the entire original series. That goes to those idiot villagers in the episode, "Avatar Day". Or Mai, Zuko's "love interest". Jin it's much better love interest. Mai only got worse with the comic continuations.

That said, if you do not like certain characterizations in the original show, then Legend of Korra really going to piss you off with certain main characters (nearly all of them in the second season) and side characters.

And yes, Sokka is the best. Zuko is great, and one of the most developed anti-villains in TV history.
I'm almost to the fire nation invasion, so the first half or so of the 3rd season. Katara is pretty insufferable.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Green Lantern: First Flight and Green Lantern: Emerald Knights - Both are animated movies with the same animation style, but different continuities. Both movies have most of the same voice actors from First Flight. First Flight is basically Hal Jordan's origin story, but it does not waste time. The animation is fluid and the action is creative. You have to be with those powered rings. Both of these movies are hands down, the best animations of the DC Animated Movies. They have Asura's Wrath style action going on here.

Emerald Knights is a anthology story that delves in to certain Lanterns origins or stories, before facing a universal destroying threat. While I love First Flight, EK has even better action scenes. This is my first time watching both of these movies, and sad I did not see them sooner. Now I am even more hyped to see the new Lantern movie coming out in late July. I watched FF and EK on HBO Max, but I plan on getting Blu Ray copies later. If you're a fan of DC, or want solo Green Lantern action with no Justice League baggage, you can't go wrong with either. A high "See it!".
Huh, didn't see this. But odd how we both are indulging in some animated Green Lantern at the same time. Magic of the algorithm I suppose.

Emerald Knights is genuinely crazy. First Flight is already an above average DC movie, but in terms of animation, Emerald Knights really does blow it out of the water. I don't think it's a stretch to say that EK not only takes a lot of inspiration from anime, but gives many anime a run for their money. It's one of the first times I could genuinely believe that a Lantern ring is the most powerful weapon in the universe.

Makes me sad we didn't get a second season for GLTAS. Yet another Green Lantern outing that was so much better than it had the right to be. I'm really hoping the new DCAU can get its act together, because it really feels like they've been flailing around for like a decade now.

EDIT: Also it's fucking ridiculous that a show like GLTAS gets tagged by YouTube as only for kids and so has videos' comments sections locked. This is a show where the first scene is a Green Lantern getting murdered.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm really hoping the new DCAU can get its act together, because it really feels like they've been flailing around for like a decade now.
It's been fine, all things considered. I know there were a few bumps in the road, but nothing tragic from what I heard. I am sure new Green Lantern movie will be good.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It's been fine, all things considered. I know there were a few bumps in the road, but nothing tragic from what I heard. I am sure new Green Lantern movie will be good.
I like the new movies that they've been putting out, The Long Halloween ones were pretty good and I'd say the Flash one was great even. But man they have nothing on TV besides Young Justice and I guess Teen Titans Go. Pretty disappointing when DC used to be the king of superhero cartoons.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I like the new movies that they've been putting out, The Long Halloween ones were pretty good and I'd say the Flash one was great even. But man they have nothing on TV besides Young Justice and I guess Teen Titans Go. Pretty disappointing when DC used to be the king of superhero cartoons.
Ok, now I see what you mean. Super heroes shows from DC and Marvel has this trouble going for a decade now. Marvel does not even bother to try anymore, because they don't need to do so. It's sad, lazy, and reeks of "No one needs this, we got the MCU!" arrogance. To get good animated action shows aimed at kids, they're original properties filling the void. I am happy the kids get variety and more original material, but it's no excuse from both comic companies not to try.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
1. Fringe is such a strange show explicitly because theres a clear line where season 3 ends the original story and everything is revealed and the last 2 seasons are an entirely different storytelling format and plot. It wouldn't surprise me if the original team largely left and somebody came in after season 3.

2. Its funny how anime for all its faults can be a nice distraction for how dramatic and depressing premium cable has become. Ive been watching some silly little anime on Hulu called D-frag. Its absolutely hilarious and is essentially about nothing, kind of like the anime equivalent of Seinfeld. I watched a few episodes of dragon maid. it was solid, but not my cup of tea. I found the characters just a tad too insufferable, but its a highly personal opinion. Im a peanut butter and banana milkshake person and Dragon maid is like a birthday cheesecake shake.
Fringe season 3-4... to be fair to the writers, that storyline was over. They really had kind of wrung all of the "dual worlds" story out that they could have, it wasn't going anywhere else. I really don't enjoy the final 2 seasons as much, but it didn't have anything to do with where the story went when it changed. It was more the writing along the way. They really ramped up the tension, but it sucked the joy out of the show. There had been a lot of comedic moments, usually courtesy of John Noble, early in the series. Not so much later on.

D-Frag, yeah I watched that one several years ago. It was as fun as a school centric anime can be fun. They're usually so far removed from my American public school experience that I don't really identify with anyone. I see it as something more similar to what I imagine private schools are like and my "well fuck them, that's rich people 'problems" attitude kicks in and I start to kind of hate all the characters. I preferred No-Rin to D-Frag, being from farm country it spoke to me a little more than usual school centered anime does. I think that's why dragon maid is clicking with me. For once it doesn't have an all rich kid school vibe like so many others do. The main characters are adults, that's just inherently so much more interesting to me than shows about kids. Even in something like Stranger Things, the kids parts are ok for a little comedy diversion, but I'm much more interested in what's happening to Joyce, Hopper, poor Bob, my favorite character the science teacher. They keep offing characters to up the ante each season. I think one of the kids needs to be next, otherwise the audience won't ever buy they are in any danger. I say it should be Dustin, that would just rip people's hearts out.

Dragon Maid is so light hearted I decided to drop the rewatch of Fringe, I've seen the parts I like anyway. I'm instead going to rewatch Psycho-Pass ahead of going through season 3 which I haven't watched yet (despite my avatar here.) I know 3 won't be as good as the first half of season 1, but just curious to see where they went. Also going to go through Magica Madoka to catch up on the new stuff since the last time I watched it several years ago. Dragon Maid should be light enough to get me through that, although last time it took me actually watching a couple of seasons of MLP to get through Magica Madoka. I guess if Dragon Maid isn't enough I could check out more than just the first 2 or 3 (I forget) seasons of MLP. I still haven't got around to the second season of Little Witch Academia on Netflix either. A friend told me Netflix's She-Ra is delightful. I just didn't get into it because I wasn't really into the whole He-Man thing when I was a kid. But she said I don't have to be so maybe I'll check it out. I may need it all if Madoka goes on like it used to... that shit is bleak. In a good way, but you do need cheering up afterwards.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Fringe season 3-4... to be fair to the writers, that storyline was over. They really had kind of wrung all of the "dual worlds" story out that they could have, it wasn't going anywhere else. I really don't enjoy the final 2 seasons as much, but it didn't have anything to do with where the story went when it changed. It was more the writing along the way. They really ramped up the tension, but it sucked the joy out of the show. There had been a lot of comedic moments, usually courtesy of John Noble, early in the series. Not so much later on.

D-Frag, yeah I watched that one several years ago. It was as fun as a school centric anime can be fun. They're usually so far removed from my American public school experience that I don't really identify with anyone. I see it as something more similar to what I imagine private schools are like and my "well fuck them, that's rich people 'problems" attitude kicks in and I start to kind of hate all the characters. I preferred No-Rin to D-Frag, being from farm country it spoke to me a little more than usual school centered anime does. I think that's why dragon maid is clicking with me. For once it doesn't have an all rich kid school vibe like so many others do. The main characters are adults, that's just inherently so much more interesting to me than shows about kids. Even in something like Stranger Things, the kids parts are ok for a little comedy diversion, but I'm much more interested in what's happening to Joyce, Hopper, poor Bob, my favorite character the science teacher. They keep offing characters to up the ante each season. I think one of the kids needs to be next, otherwise the audience won't ever buy they are in any danger. I say it should be Dustin, that would just rip people's hearts out.

Dragon Maid is so light hearted I decided to drop the rewatch of Fringe, I've seen the parts I like anyway. I'm instead going to rewatch Psycho-Pass ahead of going through season 3 which I haven't watched yet (despite my avatar here.) I know 3 won't be as good as the first half of season 1, but just curious to see where they went. Also going to go through Magica Madoka to catch up on the new stuff since the last time I watched it several years ago. Dragon Maid should be light enough to get me through that, although last time it took me actually watching a couple of seasons of MLP to get through Magica Madoka. I guess if Dragon Maid isn't enough I could check out more than just the first 2 or 3 (I forget) seasons of MLP. I still haven't got around to the second season of Little Witch Academia on Netflix either. A friend told me Netflix's She-Ra is delightful. I just didn't get into it because I wasn't really into the whole He-Man thing when I was a kid. But she said I don't have to be so maybe I'll check it out. I may need it all if Madoka goes on like it used to... that shit is bleak. In a good way, but you do need cheering up afterwards.
Perhaps give Spy X Family a try too? It's a surprisingly wholesome series given what the subject matter would make you think.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Perhaps give Spy X Family a try too? It's a surprisingly wholesome series given what the subject matter would make you think.
Yeah, your comments on this thread already had me put this on my "backlog" crunchylist. The problem is I have something like 30 titles on that list and yet I keep rewatching things as opposed to tackling things on the list.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Yeah, your comments on this thread already had me put this on my "backlog" crunchylist. The problem is I have something like 30 titles on that list and yet I keep rewatching things as opposed to tackling things on the list.
I've been on a kick like that recently too. Been reading a lot of stories I'd already finished a long time ago rather than moving on through new stuff. Been re-reading Dimension W most recently and it's fun being able to read the story in one go and with knowledge of the reveals and mysteries that come later. Such a good sci-fi series, is very focussed on its main plot and has almost nothing I'd call true filler.