The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
To be fair, the final season is literally not the final season, so it's easy to see how someone can make that mistake.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To be fair, the final season is literally not the final season, so it's easy to see how someone can make that mistake.
Then why even bother calling it the final season? How about don't call it that, and come up with a different name?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I found it really funny how season 3 of Demon Slayer completely glosses over how fucking ridiculous having a six armed robot samurai is in a show about more or less magic swordsmen and immortal flesh eating monsters. I found it even weirder that I somehow managed to forget this part despite having read the manga.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I found it really funny how season 3 of Demon Slayer completely glosses over how fucking ridiculous having a six armed robot samurai is in a show about more or less magic swordsmen and immortal flesh eating monsters.
That is some awesome Ninja Turtles and Asura's Wrath shit right there!

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Episode 15: Father and Son was released today

An important cooldown episode with no dramatic climax, some much-needed world-building on Earth, good character moments, we catch back up with Bob, and nothing bad ever happens to anybody ever except Nika taking a beating, some mild torture, and a little bloody child death

Plus, a great Gundam-less grunt fight. Top notch choreography all around. They managed to make a great episode with precisely zero Suletta

Remember kids, spoiler management is an individual responsibility

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Episode 15: Father and Son was released today

An important cooldown episode with no dramatic climax, some much-needed world-building on Earth, good character moments, we catch back up with Bob, and nothing bad ever happens to anybody ever except Nika taking a beating, some mild torture, and a little bloody child death

Plus, a great Gundam-less grunt fight. Top notch choreography all around. They managed to make a great episode with precisely zero Suletta

Remember kids, spoiler management is an individual responsibility
I genuinely thought this was the best episode of the whole show. Capitalist dystopia, a shockingly dark tone, and some sexy Gundam action. I didn't realize how watered down the duels are relative to actual battles.

Anyway:

Blue Period on Netflix. Sports anime, but about art. I heard some really good things about this, but honestly it never managed to make me care about art the way Haikyuu made me care about volleyball. It also doesn't help that ironically, this anime looks pretty clunky. Facial expressions can't keep up with the voice actors' performances in emotional scenes, and even the art itself is just kind eh. I was able to related on some level to the protagonist. Who hasn't experienced wanting to get into something that society deems pointless? He's a stressed hard working boy with imposter syndrome, you don't need much to root for him.

The show also had surprisingly good presentation of a trans (?) person. And it wasn't some wishy washy view of a trans person either. They had a line about suicide that honestly had me thinking for a while.

All in all, if you do actually like art, go for it. If the thought of spending a few hours at an art museum makes you dread, then skip it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I genuinely thought this was the best episode of the whole show. Capitalist dystopia, a shockingly dark tone, and some sexy Gundam action. I didn't realize how watered down the duels are relative to actual battles.
Yeah, with all the focus on corporate politicking, esoteric technology shenanigans, and interpersonal conflict, it's easy for the real human cost to get glossed over. Like, Sophie's complaints in episode 14 were tragic, but then to take a deep dive and see what that *actually* amounts to by the people who have to live it? Norea or Sophie could've bodied that entire corporate strike team in minutes, no wonder they're heroes to these people. But they're up in space for Shaddiq's corporate power grab, so the B-team has to show up and get fucked by superior tech and resources. Earth's in a bad spot and I hope they either go the route of a third season or an Earth focused series/spin-off, because I don't think they'd be able to do much more than hand-wave that in the 8 episodes they have left

Speaking of, Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Episode 16: Cycle of Sin is out. There's several joyful reunions, attempted grand theft Gundam, and a chest full of Parent-of-the-Year awards being handed out.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot: Disc two of the Blu-ray included a Special Drama CD involving Miorine and Chuchu getting into a duel

I really wish anime series's could be longer, because I'd've loved to see this and other content like it included in a 26 episode season instead of the modern 13 episode season

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Also finished a rewatch of Gundam Wing and the Endless Waltz movie and I highly recommend it. Yes, it reuses a lot of animations for grunt fights and the three episode clip show saga was painful and the politics go a bit wonky here and there, but it's absolutely nutty. Fantastic ride

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Also finished a rewatch of Gundam Wing and the Endless Waltz movie and I highly recommend it. Yes, it reuses a lot of animations for grunt fights and the three episode clip show saga was painful and the politics go a bit wonky here and there, but it's absolutely nutty. Fantastic ride
You could probably re cut wing into a decent 20 episodes or so series, but as is, its just incredibly bloated. Didn't care much for EW because it felt too much like a side show without much connection, plus having it being a sequel to the manga rather than the anime just made things weird for no reason. Should have animated the side story manga instead.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You could probably re cut wing into a decent 20 episodes or so series, but as is, its just incredibly bloated. Didn't care much for EW because it felt too much like a side show without much connection, plus having it being a sequel to the manga rather than the anime just made things weird for no reason. Should have animated the side story manga instead.
Gonna have to disagree: while the show's pacing was hampered by having to have a battle every episode, the actual story was happening at breakneck speed. If anything, it needed to be longer

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Ehh there's large chunk you could just cut out, most of the side character arc is kinda non sense that's just there for padding, like the circus part or the desert kingdom stuff.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Been watching Gundam SEED with the roommate because it's free on YouTube and I dunno man. It was apparently super popular in Japan for reasons I can't fathom. I'm about 35 episodes in and it's been a slog. The character design is dire, like 8 characters all have the same haircut and it got so bad they had to give one of the blonds a scar just to help differentiate them, the Gundams are relatively bland, it's speedrunning Gundam '79 and Zeta Gundam, the animation is early 2000's cg or bad digital art, and season 1 was *weirdly* horny for a Gundam show, though they've backed off that so far in season 2

I'm legitimately baffled.

G Witch has another banger though, so that makes up for it. Next week is a break, which is just fucking cruel with how that episode ended. Guel gets a win, then takes an L like a champ, Elan continues to be an entertaining little *****, Norea continues to do nothing wrong, Evil Space Milf continues to be evil and a milf, and inevitable tragedy happens. Like, if you watch classic yuri on a regular basis, you could tell this was going to happen at some point, but anticipation sometimes makes it hurt more and G Witch is an expert at twisting the knife

Still, despite a blistering pace, they have an awful lot of plates spinning to resolve in just 7-8 episodes. Hopefully they leave it open ended enough for a season 3 instead of cramming everything together

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Trying my damn hardest to get through episode 1 of Oshi No Ko. It's the most hyped show of the season, but 30 minutes in, it's just not grabbing me.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Watched Season 1 of The Bad Batch. Honestly, it's not bad, but it's not doing it for me the same way Clone Wars and Rebels did. I think the main issue is that it seems to be trying to do the family dynamic type of set up like Rebels, but The Bad Batch...aren't really that. Most of the episodes have the plot kick of like this.

Omega: We need to do something!

Hunter: We can't, because X.

Omega: We have to, because Idealistic Reason Y.

Wrecker: Kid's got a point.

Hunter: *grumbles and gives in*

Omega is mentally a kid, and yet she seems to be the one calling the shots, compared to on Rebels where Hera was essentially the mother of the group, keeping everyone in line. It just feels a bit unfocused as well. Stuff happens, but I'm not sure how much plot happened, and most of what did revolved around the admittedly interesting Crosshair being the evil former Bad Batch guy and showing a different perspective on the whole "traitor" thing.

Show has its moments, to be sure, and some great episodes, even. It just doesn't feel cohesive, and that's a problem for me.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Watched Season 1 of The Bad Batch. Honestly, it's not bad, but it's not doing it for me the same way Clone Wars and Rebels did. I think the main issue is that it seems to be trying to do the family dynamic type of set up like Rebels, but The Bad Batch...aren't really that. Most of the episodes have the plot kick of like this.

Omega: We need to do something!

Hunter: We can't, because X.

Omega: We have to, because Idealistic Reason Y.

Wrecker: Kid's got a point.

Hunter: *grumbles and gives in*

Omega is mentally a kid, and yet she seems to be the one calling the shots, compared to on Rebels where Hera was essentially the mother of the group, keeping everyone in line. It just feels a bit unfocused as well. Stuff happens, but I'm not sure how much plot happened, and most of what did revolved around the admittedly interesting Crosshair being the evil former Bad Batch guy and showing a different perspective on the whole "traitor" thing.

Show has its moments, to be sure, and some great episodes, even. It just doesn't feel cohesive, and that's a problem for me.
Your problems are never really resolved in Season 2 (if anything they might even take center focus), but there are some GREAT episodes. I'm sure somebody put up a watching order that will skip all the filler episodes.

The show is in dire need of a Rebels style time skip, but since Season 3 is the finale, I don't see that happening.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Been watching Gundam SEED with the roommate because it's free on YouTube and I dunno man. It was apparently super popular in Japan for reasons I can't fathom. I'm about 35 episodes in and it's been a slog. The character design is dire, like 8 characters all have the same haircut and it got so bad they had to give one of the blonds a scar just to help differentiate them, the Gundams are relatively bland, it's speedrunning Gundam '79 and Zeta Gundam, the animation is early 2000's cg or bad digital art, and season 1 was *weirdly* horny for a Gundam show, though they've backed off that so far in season 2

I'm legitimately baffled.
Gundams show aren't exactly good, they're good by the woeful standard of mech show, but that's a very low bar to clear. I like seed more than most gundam simply because there's more of a reason for why the main character is hyper competent (rather than the usual space wizard newtype BS) and the story actually deal with that aspect, which also explain why the space colony can even keep up with earth in a war. But otherwise its another gundam show that has about 10-15 episodes too many and introduce pointless sideplot/character that it could do without. SEED destiny is absolutely awful though, one of the worst of the worst.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Your problems are never really resolved in Season 2 (if anything they might even take center focus), but there are some GREAT episodes.
Yeh, season two best episodes explore the "good soldiers follow orders" adage from different angles, and it is some good stuff. Imo some of the best Disney has done with Star Wars, up there with the final episodes of Clone Wars season 7 and early Mandalorian, tho not Andor level.