The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

meiam

Elite Member
Apr 19, 2020
I watched some of the Dota cartoon on Netflix, and it was a whole bunch of 'I don't know what the fuck anybody's talking about'. Also, Jesus Christ I haven't heard voice acting this dry since Final Fantasy 12, apart from Yuri Lowenthal who was allowed to have emotional responses I guess. I got 4 episodes in till I got out.
Netflix tried to make a lot of anime over the last few years but you can count on one hand how many were good (and even then you'll have fingers left). I dunno why but they seem terrible at hiring studio/writer.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
And that shit is why I generally stick to iyashikei series. I watch anime to chill, not to get pissed off with a cast I need to stick around with.
I didn't know there was a name for that more domestic type anime, but I think I used to watch a bunch of those when I was a kid. Stuff like Anne of Green Gables and Heidi.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
A Hermit's Cave
I didn't know there was a name for that more domestic type anime, but I think I used to watch a bunch of those when I was a kid. Stuff like Anne of Green Gables and Heidi.
Not necessarily "domestic", I'd say, more just the sort of series that wishes to evoke the sense of relaxation or cheerful/low impact spontaneity (as distinct from mindlessness). The lack of interpersonal/interfactional drama and overt antagonism (without hindering character development) is great. A lot of the ones I watch usually have the indulgence of a hobby as a framing device.