The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I watched some of the Dota cartoon on Netflix, and it was a whole bunch of 'I don't know what the fuck anybody's talking about'. Also, Jesus Christ I haven't heard voice acting this dry since Final Fantasy 12, apart from Yuri Lowenthal who was allowed to have emotional responses I guess. I got 4 episodes in till I got out.
Netflix tried to make a lot of anime over the last few years but you can count on one hand how many were good (and even then you'll have fingers left). I dunno why but they seem terrible at hiring studio/writer.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And that shit is why I generally stick to iyashikei series. I watch anime to chill, not to get pissed off with a cast I need to stick around with.
I didn't know there was a name for that more domestic type anime, but I think I used to watch a bunch of those when I was a kid. Stuff like Anne of Green Gables and Heidi.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I didn't know there was a name for that more domestic type anime, but I think I used to watch a bunch of those when I was a kid. Stuff like Anne of Green Gables and Heidi.
Not necessarily "domestic", I'd say, more just the sort of series that wishes to evoke the sense of relaxation or cheerful/low impact spontaneity (as distinct from mindlessness). The lack of interpersonal/interfactional drama and overt antagonism (without hindering character development) is great. A lot of the ones I watch usually have the indulgence of a hobby as a framing device.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Justice League Crisis on Two Earths & JL: Doom. Two DCAU movies I got around to watching. Both are just regular good. I would not have paid $20 back in the day though. I watched them on HBO Max. I'll be catching up with a lot of the DCAU films.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Watching Invincible. What a star studded cast, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Its like The Boys, but less bleak and dreary.
Same. It's weird because none of this is particularly original(I mean, the Guardians are basically the justice league with the serial numbers filed off) but the relationships are interesting enough.

Also, calling it now. Omni-Man/Nolan is here to conquer Earth. Not even sure if that's supposed to be a twist, because it seems like there's a lot of hinting/foreshadowing in that direction.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Same. It's weird because none of this is particularly original(I mean, the Guardians are basically the justice league with the serial numbers filed off) but the relationships are interesting enough.

Also, calling it now. Omni-Man/Nolan is here to conquer Earth. Not even sure if that's supposed to be a twist, because it seems like there's a lot of hinting/foreshadowing in that direction.
I feel the succes of The Boys might've had a negative influence on this show though. I've been reading the comics, and while I've only seen the first two episodes of the show, it really seems to lay on the super violence quite heavily, when the comic is actually very light hearted and tame, certainly for the first 13 issues. I prefer the comic so far.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

My impressions from what I've seen from the comics is that the Vultrumites(?) have always intended to invade other planets and so Nolan has always been a bastard . But the show sort of treats him like a grey area so we're never sure where they're going to take things.
I feel the succes of The Boys might've had a negative influence on this show though. I've been reading the comics, and while I've only seen the first two episodes of the show, it really seems to lay on the super violence quite heavily, when the comic is actually very light hearted and tame, certainly for the first 13 issues. I prefer the comic so far.
I considered reading the comics before starting on the show, but I liked the first episode enough that I decided I'll start on the comics after the season ends. What exactly makes you prefer the comic more? I hear that the authors originally wanted to keep the big twist further into the story but they might have gotten cancelled if they hadn't sped it up.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I considered reading the comics before starting on the show, but I liked the first episode enough that I decided I'll start on the comics after the season ends. What exactly makes you prefer the comic more? I hear that the authors originally wanted to keep the big twist further into the story but they might have gotten cancelled if they hadn't sped it up.
Again, I've only seen the first two episodes, but the comic doesn't have as much gravitas and doesn't take itself as serious.. yet. Which might sound like a strange reason to prefer the comic. It really takes it easy at the start and just has fun with its silly superhero world, and it reminds me a lot of something like One Punch Man or the animated show The Tick. It feels less plot focused and more silly fun focused with inklings of plot slowly congealing as it goes.

I think I do prefer the Omni man vs. the Guardians fight in the show though. It let's you sit with the confusion and the brutality of that encounter more than the comic does. It really kinda shakes you to your bones.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I've made a terrible mistake, because I started watching Attack on Titan, with the assumption that it had finished.

Apparently that is not the case, and it wont finish until Winter 2022.

Oops.

Reactions: BrawlMan

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I've made a terrible mistake, because I started watching Attack on Titan, with the assumption that it had finished.

Oops.
Time to stop watching then.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Oops.
I watched the first season...and kinda haven't picked it back up. Partially because I wanted to rewatch it dubbed, because trying to read the subs while everything else was going on was tough for me, but also it seems like it suffers from that Anime problem of even the goddamn fights feel like like they take forever.

At the time there wasn't a dubbed version available that I could find when I wanted to rewatch season 1 but at this point I don't think I care. If the pacing is as glacial in the later seasons as the first I kinda don't care anymore and there are other shows I'm far more engaged in(Currently Invincible and the Expanse).

Last edited:

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Time to stop watching then.
Too late.

We got to the first few episodes of Season 4 before I realised.

Might as well finish what is currently out - though we will almost certainly forget what has happened, by the time the rest of the show comes out over a year away.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Might as well finish what is currently out - though we will almost certainly forget what has happened, by the time the rest of the show comes out over a year away.
Use the dedicated wiki page or the tropes page to give yourself a reminder.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

Oops.
Oh...dang it. I got to episode 6 of the "final season" thinking it had ended because they called it THE FINAL SEASON.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I can see where you're coming from, but I disagree.

The Boys reveled in the gore and brutality and mostly played it for comedy (outside of things like Hughie's girlfriend exploding). Invincible has a lot of gore and brutality, but it's never played as a joke. I think the show does a good job striking a balance between almost getting to "superhero hi-jinks" but then at the last second pulling the rug out and shifting into semi-realistic ultra-violence.

I just finished episode 6.

I think so far episode 3? was the best. The one with the invasion.

Alien invasion happening in New York, it's a pretty standard set up. Invincible flies in thinking he's going to kick some ass and save the day Avengers style and is greeted by a brutal war zone where civilians are being executed, people are exploding left and right, he's immediately covered in gore and freaking out, completely scared stiff.

It's a really well done moment, and it's the kind of superhero nightmare scenario that can't really be explored in something like Justice League the animated series, and is significantly darker than even WB Animation's MA rated movies.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Oh...dang it. I got to episode 6 of the "final season" thinking it had ended because they called it THE FINAL SEASON.
Aren't they planning on making a movie or some shit? Well, either way, I don't have much hope for how they plan to end it considering how the manga ended.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I can see where you're coming from, but I disagree.

The Boys reveled in the gore and brutality and mostly played it for comedy (outside of things like Hughie's girlfriend exploding). Invincible has a lot of gore and brutality, but it's never played as a joke. I think the show does a good job striking a balance between almost getting to "superhero hi-jinks" but then at the last second pulling the rug out and shifting into semi-realistic ultra-violence.

I just finished episode 6.

I think so far episode 3? was the best. The one with the invasion.

Alien invasion happening in New York, it's a pretty standard set up. Invincible flies in thinking he's going to kick some ass and save the day Avengers style and is greeted by a brutal war zone where civilians are being executed, people are exploding left and right, he's immediately covered in gore and freaking out, completely scared stiff.

It's a really well done moment, and it's the kind of superhero nightmare scenario that can't really be explored in something like Justice League the animated series, and is significantly darker than even WB Animation's MA rated movies.
It's not about which one did violence better, I'm saying that the adaptation of Invincible lays on the violence immediately when the comic (early on) really wasn't very violent at all apart from the occasional bloody nose. And I feel the popularity of The Boys is the reason for that.

How you described episode 3 is another example. This does not happen in the comic. The event does, but the brutallity of it doesn't. Mark himself doesn't even really experience any hardships when he starts being a superhero, it's all pretty smooth sailing... until that twist, which I'm sure everyone can kinda see coming by now.

I sorta get why the show did this. It's marketed as an adult superhero show and it's on Amazon Prime, so if it doesn't bring out the big guns early on people who were expecting adult superhero action might drop it. So it needs to show its hand as quickly as possible.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It's not about which one did violence better, I'm saying that the adaptation of Invincible lays on the violence immediately when the comic (early on) really wasn't very violent at all apart from the occasional bloody nose. And I feel the popularity of The Boys is the reason for that.

How you described episode 3 is another example. This does not happen in the comic. The event does, but the brutallity of it doesn't. Mark himself doesn't even really experience any hardships when he starts being a superhero, it's all pretty smooth sailing... until that twist, which I'm sure everyone can kinda see coming by now.

I sorta get why the show did this. It's marketed as an adult superhero show and it's on Amazon Prime, so if it doesn't bring out the big guns early on people who were expecting adult superhero action might drop it. So it needs to show its hand as quickly as possible.
I think that if it took too long being a bog standard super hero cartoon it would just feel like a Justice League knock off, which while not necessarily a bad thing isn't enough to make it interesting on its own.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Aren't they planning on making a movie or some shit? Well, either way, I don't have much hope for how they plan to end it considering how the manga ended.
Did they ever get back to the basement in Erin's elderly house?

That's the main reason I stopped watching the show back in season one, the basement was made out to be a mystery and then the story just went in a completely different direction.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Did they ever get back to the basement in Erin's elderly house?

That's the main reason I stopped watching the show back in season one, the basement was made out to be a mystery and then the story just went in a completely different direction.
Yes.

And because of that, the story has gone in another completely batshit crazy direction.

If you are inclined to know the gist of it, this is what was revealed in the basement:

The world hasn't ended. Eren and the gang live on an island, and the flesh-eating titans exist only on this island. The rest of the world is essentially living in the 1910s.

Eren and the gang are a race of people called Eldians, who can turn into titans, and some special titans. 100 years ago, as a result of a global revolt, many Eldians retreated to the island, built the walls, and had their minds erased by their king using his special titan powers. The rest of the world see the Eldians as savages, and want to destroy their race - but wont attack the island, under threat of the islanders releasing an army of titans to destroy the world. Any Eldians who remain in the rest of the world, are segregated from the rest of society, and live in internment camps. If any of those people are criminals, they are taken to the island, and transformed into mindless titans to roam free.

The special titans who attacked Eren's people and destroyed some of the walls in the first 3 seasons, are propagandized Eldians from these other countries, who also believe that the islanders are savages, and were sent to see if the threat to destroy the world was real.

Season 4 takes place after a 4-year time skip from the end of Season 3, and is basically Eren and the gang taking revenge on the rest of the world. It is more or less setting up a Titan World War 1.

Bonkers

Last edited: