The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fairy Tale and Naruto look like crap to me.
Fairy Tail, I've only seen clips of, and still not interested. Naruto I tried, but dropped after Sasuke-biatch left Konoha.

Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball Z are my all time favorite shines anime.
DBZ I can't get invested in or watch anymore, outside of a few clips on YT. The Team Four Star adaption is the best version of the show.

I was into Bleach for a brief period of time but I lost interest.
Same. I stopped watching after the Rescue Rukia Arc. I predicted that the anime would be full of filler and drag with an overpowered, boring, villain.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Beast Wars: Transformers

Still the best Transformers show ever
Used to watch this with my boy when he was around 2. I had a lot of fun waiting for them to introduce new critters.

ITMT: I did not know a 9th episode of What If came out! Nice conclusion to this year's series.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Beast Wars: Transformers

Still the best Transformers show ever
You know it’s honestly kind of pathetic that this can still be true. Like I’d have thought at least Transformers Animated would be realised in the bright light of day to be superior to Beast Wars.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Like I’d have thought at least Transformers Animated would be realised in the bright light of day to be superior to Beast Wars.
Animated is good and I had fun with the show. Granted, it's been way too long. Animated is at least better than the Transformers Anime Trilogy from the early to mid 2000s. I honestly didn't care if it was better than Beast Wars, and I love BW. It was my first Transfomers show I watched all the way though. My big bro and I would watch this every Saturday morning.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Project A-ko is a wonderfully crazy set of classic OVAs

They've only recently been remastered and rereleased because, for decades, nobody knew where the masters were.

Turns out, they were right where they should be, but the database holding them had a typo on the entry so nobody could find it without going through and physically checking the tape

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Nice. I've missed my yearly dose of A-Ko at A-Kon.. though I think last year I just watched it at home. A remaster would be pretty sweet.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
G-Gundam, officially uploaded by bandai on youtube.

It veers from being entreatingly stupid (a characters clown phobia is caused buy them being taken hostage as a child by gun toting clowns who fire randomly and cause a stampede that almost certainly killed their mom) to very... cringe at best, and uncomfortable at worst.

Some of the designs and stereotypes have NOT aged well, and in some cases shouldn't have flied at all at the time.

The heroic German suit with a Nazi helmet, the spear wielding African suit in tribal furs, the indian poilot who has green skin and is a snake charmer...

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
G-Gundam, officially uploaded by bandai on youtube.

It veers from being entreatingly stupid (a characters clown phobia is caused buy them being taken hostage as a child by gun toting clowns who fire randomly and cause a stampede that almost certainly killed their mom) to very... cringe at best, and uncomfortable at worst.

Some of the designs and stereotypes have NOT aged well, and in some cases shouldn't have flied at all at the time.

The heroic German suit with a Nazi helmet, the spear wielding African suit in tribal furs, the indian poilot who has green skin and is a snake charmer...
How can you not mention the Tequila gundam!?

G-gundam is just campy fun, of all the gundam show Its pretty much the only one I can re watch without cringing all the time cause its just so honest about how dumb it is. I just wished they made more gunpla of them.

Reactions: evilneko

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I just watched the latest episode of Boruto on Crunchyroll it was a filler episode(EP 230), but it was really good. It felt like an older Naruto episode with the ending. People die, people get killed by the protagonists, there is more lore, it brings back the death of an older character.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I just watched the latest episode of Boruto on Crunchyroll it was a filler episode(EP 230), but it was really good. It felt like an older Naruto episode with the ending. People die, people get killed by the protagonists, there is more lore, it brings back the death of an older character.
They still harping on Asuma's death?

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
How can you not mention the Tequila gundam!?

G-gundam is just campy fun, of all the gundam show Its pretty much the only one I can re watch without cringing all the time cause its just so honest about how dumb it is. I just wished they made more gunpla of them.
Or the freaking Windmill gundam? https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/GF13-066NO_Nether_Gundam

Might as well mention the primary protag/antagonist gundams were literally GOD and DEVIL gundams. Yeah, G Gundam wasn't meant to be taken seriously at all.

But, oh yeah, what's the last thing I watched? Well, I finally started on Card Captor Sakura: Clear Card arc. All I can say is, poor Tomoyo. :(

Reactions: meiam and BrawlMan

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Maison Ikkoku 79/96. Show is likable, sure, but Godai keeps lying to Kyoko again and again so that the writer doesn't have to think of other ideas and continues to be such a doormat for the three other tenants. If there is a doormat in anime, it's Godai.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If there is a doormat in anime, it's Godai.
Funny enough, I remember back in the late 90s and early 2000s that Tenchi was called the anime equivalent of a door mat. It was mostly in jest, but at least Tenchi bothered to have a backbone in most of the continuities. With Tenchi in Tokyo giving him the most backbone, ironic enough. I don't know much about the show you watched, but from the premise I just read, it sounds like the 1980s version of Love Hina, but better. Don't know much about the character, Godai either, yet I feel Keitaro is a much bigger door mat than the former.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Funny enough, I remember back in the late 90s and early 2000s that Tenchi was called the anime equivalent of a door mat. It was mostly in jest, but at least Tenchi bothered to have a backbone in most of the continuities. With Tenchi in Tokyo giving him the most backbone, ironic enough. I don't know much about the show you watched, but from the premise I just read, it sounds like the 1980s version of Love Hina, but better. Don't know much about the character, Godai either, yet I feel Keitaro is a much bigger door mat than the former.
I haven't watched Love Hina and can't remember the Toonami runs of Tenchi that well. But the three other tenants are freeloaders who take his food and use him for beer every other week. In this episode and the last, he had to work longer at a bunny waitress bar because they ran up the tab he owed.

He was a college student for most of the show and is now trying to find a good job, so he never had much money. Weirdly, there wasn't any kind of celebration about him finishing college. In fact, his graduation didn't even get a scene, nor was there any acknowledgement. He was teaching high school part-time as part of his school requirements and shortly thereafter started looking for work. Work culture in Japan must be more miserable than I thought.

doormat.jpg

doormat2.jpg

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Girls und Panzer - das Finale (OVA 3)... this yearly release is a strange choice, but I suppose it keeps a certain level of hype in the franchise going.

It was more of the same fare and ridiculous fun for it (tank-fu taken to its (il)logical conclusion) and thoroughly unashamed in its presentation. One of the match results was a surprise, it introduces a few new characters, though we'll have to wait until ep4 before we get to know one of them properly (the Simo Hayha expy... just had to be(!)).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I haven't watched Love Hina and can't remember the Toonami runs of Tenchi that well. But the three other tenants are freeloaders who take his food and use him for beer every other week. In this episode and the last, he had to work longer at a bunny waitress bar because they ran up the tab he owed.
Skip Love Hina, you are not missing much. It's very frustrating, and practically everything wrong with the harem genre. Tenchi, I recommend you watch the original OVA (episodes 1 through 12) and Tenchi Universe (an alternate universe TV series that is 26 episodes). Then watch the two movies, In Love and Forever (In Love 2) for a sense of finality. Those two movies take place after the end of Tenchi Universe. Should you choose to to do so of course.

And yes, the work culture in Japan is worse than you think or known so far.

Last edited: