The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
My Dress Up Darling

I'm actually rather impressed with this. It's very much about nerds and their hobbies and it cuts deep for me with the insecurities of sharing your interests with someone else or wondering if the thing you devote yourself to is even going to pay off in the end. I really like how Marin and Gojo are just two weirdos enjoying the things they love. I dunno, it just feels like a very sweet story;
Tried it but episode 2 turned me off, not raunchy enough to be interesting (despite it being 80% fan service) and had essentially nothing to say about measurment for cosplay purpose (despite it being an episode about doing measurement for cosplay purpose). Oh wait, they do go over how to measure feet size... except they're not going to make shoe so I have no idea why they even bother.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Tried it but episode 2 turned me off, not raunchy enough to be interesting (despite it being 80% fan service) and had essentially nothing to say about measurment for cosplay purpose (despite it being an episode about doing measurement for cosplay purpose). Oh wait, they do go over how to measure feet size... except they're not going to make shoe so I have no idea why they even bother.
Hhm... What were you hoping for from the series?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Super Crooks

A really fun anime. I preferred the english dub over the japanese one, which is kind of rare for me. Absolutely love the intro.

Definitely the best thing Netflix has done with the millarworld license so far. Much much better than Jupiter's Legacy was.

The show wraps up very well, so I was surprised to hear that there may be a season 2 at some point.

I also started watching Arcane. I'm currently 4 episodes in. I still don't really care for very many of the characters, but the animation is absolutely gorgeous as everyone has already said.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Super Crooks

A really fun anime. I preferred the english dub over the japanese one, which is kind of rare for me. Absolutely love the intro.

Definitely the best thing Netflix has done with the millarworld license so far. Much much better than Jupiter's Legacy was.

The show wraps up very well, so I was surprised to hear that there may be a season 2 at some point.

I also started watching Arcane. I'm currently 4 episodes in. I still don't really care for very many of the characters, but the animation is absolutely gorgeous as everyone has already said.
Because of that intro, I am now invested in watching.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Hhm... What were you hoping for from the series?
I guess I'd say "be entertaining", episode 2 was just super boring. It wasn't interesting from the point of view of exploring a hobby (cosplaying) since they essentially didn't talk about it and the sexy part was just waaaaaaaay to tame to even register as being sexy. It was just two people having the exact same conversation every 2 minute for 15 minutes while you'd get panning shoot of the girl.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I guess I'd say "be entertaining", episode 2 was just super boring. It wasn't interesting from the point of view of exploring a hobby (cosplaying) since they essentially didn't talk about it and the sexy part was just waaaaaaaay to tame to even register as being sexy. It was just two people having the exact same conversation every 2 minute for 15 minutes while you'd get panning shoot of the girl.
They do actually talk a lot more about aspects of the hobby in the subsequent episodes. Maybe give it another shot? At least try watching up to episode 4, they go over a lot more aspects of cosplay in 3 with their procurement of materials like cloth and wigs and 4 had a deep cut for me with Gojo questioning his ability to do something he enjoys.

I dunno, I found the slower pace of the show rather refreshing given how fast the pace of most anime are compared to their manga counterparts. I also liked that there's a bit more... restraint with typical anime stuff than I usually see. As an example, there's one point at a cosplay event where Marin asks Gojo to unzip the back of her outfit (Because she almost killed herself in the heat from her heavy clothes) and I would usually expect an overly dramatic jump with wacky posing but instead he just smoothly stands up and yells in response, which made it much funnier to me.

Again, I dunno, feels like there's a bit more heart in this than usual faire.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm close to done with the series. They just put up checkpoints on the bridges, which I already know is going to end badly for everyone.

So far my annoyance is Jinx doing the Harley Quinn "I'm so Cra Cra" thing but at least it doesn't seem like Arcane is trying to glamorize unlike "Birds of Prey" and to a lesser extent "Suicide Squad".And I slightly rolled my eyes at Imagine Dragons getting a cameo in the show playing at the bad guy bar in the slums but whatever. I don't have strong feelings about ID one way or the other but it feels wierd for the band providing a lot of the music to suddenly show up in the actual show. Minor Quibble.

Otherwise it feels quite solid and I still can't get over how much this feels like Dishonored as an animated show but just different enough to both avoid a lawsuit and not feel like fan fiction. That part isn't an annoyance since I liked Dishonored quite a lot. So yeah, still having a good time.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Jinx. Just the name alone sounds like something out of a 90's Image comic. I think both her and Vi suffer from retroactive humanity, seeing as they're crazy videogame characters who are given very human backstories specifically for this show. There's a real flip from episode 3 to episode 4, where they go from 'very human' to 'rule of cool'. Like, it makes no sense that Vi emerges from 7 years in prison with perfectly feathery anime hair, but since that's how she looked in the videogame...

And Jinx makes even less sense, since nothing in her character in those first three episodes implied any sort of wacky, trickster, jokester personality other than maybe drawing faces on her bombs, but that just felt like her being a child and wanting to draw on things. So where'd the whole Harley Quinn routine come from? Certainly not from Silco or Sevika. It's because the videogame character was a Harley Quinn clone, so now the show version needs to be one too eventough it really doesn't mesh well with how her character was as a child.

I think this show is pretty fucking amazing, but Powder/Jinx and Vi become the weakest characters post-episode 3. Thank God for Silco, Mel, and Sevika.

Reactions: Dalisclock

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
the three Reconguista In g Movies

Pro's: pretty. some of the fights are cool, and the mecha designs are interesting and sometimes beautiful, ( i actually got a couple of g-self variants cause its a lovely lokking machine)

Cons: Utterly incomprehensible. Motivations are incredibly unclear, and so many things happen without you being able to understand why they are happening, like all the connective bits got cut. (reputably, the tv series is WORSE about this)

No joke, the third movie actively gave me a headache trying to figure out what was going on and why (at one point, two characters get ambushed and captured, their allies show no interest or concern about their location, and when they show up next, everyone, themselves included, acts like nothing happened)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
rewatched Den-noh Coil since it showed up on netflix. Still a pretty great series but it kinda starts falling apart half way through. It doesn't get bad but it certainly becomes more serious and loses some of the fun of the first half which was mainly slice of life kinda things.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Pro's: pretty. some of the fights are cool, and the mecha designs are interesting and sometimes beautiful, ( i actually got a couple of g-self variants cause its a lovely lokking machine)

Cons: Utterly incomprehensible. Motivations are incredibly unclear, and so many things happen without you being able to understand why they are happening, like all the connective bits got cut. (reputably, the tv series is WORSE about this)

No joke, the third movie actively gave me a headache trying to figure out what was going on and why (at one point, two characters get ambushed and captured, their allies show no interest or concern about their location, and when they show up next, everyone, themselves included, acts like nothing happened)
Still hoping we get that MG g-self ver. ka that won that poll years ago...

But there are really good reason reconquista isn't really fondly remembered, it actually hit the point where I see people claiming that it's confusing non sense on purpose.

Reactions: WindKnight

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Batman vs. TMNT - One of the best ambitious crossovers ever made! Eat your heart out Infinity War and Endgame! This is one of the best DC Animated movies ever made. Has the right pacing, the jokes are on point, the animation is God-tier and rock solid, and the action is amazing. Time and effort was definitively put in to this project. Unlike certain DC Animated movies that feel rushed in either performance, animation, drawing, or all of the above. Batman vs. TMNT is my 5th favorite Batman movie, and my 2nd favorite TMNT movie. I have nothing else to say, see this movie!

It's not the first time I watched the move either. It is so re-watchable and just that good!

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Batman vs. TMNT - One of the best ambitious crossovers ever made! Eat your heart out Infinity War and Endgame! This is one of the best DC Animated movies ever made. Has the right pacing, the jokes are on point, the animation is God-tier and rock solid, and the action is amazing. Time and effort was definitively put in to this project. Unlike certain DC Animated movies that feel rushed in either performance, animation, drawing, or all of the above. Batman vs. TMNT is my 5th favorite Batman movie, and my 2nd favorite TMNT movie. I have nothing else to say, see this movie!

It's not the first time I watched the move either. It is so re-watchable and just that good!
Oooohhhh, such high praise from you. Maybe I'll give it a look then.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Oooohhhh nooooo.... I just found out there's a movie version of Planatarian. Ooooohhhh noooooo.... Do I really want to make myself cry?.... I think I'm going to make myself cry...

Edit: Fuck. I'm only 6 minutes in and nothing's happened and I'm already crying from what I know is going on.

Edit: 15 minutes in and I'm dirty crying. Oh Hoshino...

Edit: 35 minutes in. Fuck me. Why do I have to be a masochist.

Edit: 45 minutes in.

Edit: 105 minutes in. Uwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Edit: 115 minutes in.

Edit: 129 minutes in. No... I lied... Now the ugly crying starts...

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Planetarian

Planetarian.jpg

What could I possibly say. It's been years since I read the Panatarian Visual Novel and the follow up audio drama but the story was still able to hit me like a sack of bricks to my face. The combining of the VN and audio drama made the movie possible, without the auido drama portion there would just be a heartbreaking story but thanks to it it can give sadness and sorrow but also closure and hope for the future.

If you're willing to let it touch your heart then I hope it'll give you hope in dark times you have like it does for me. If any of you ever feel like experiencing a heartwarming but also tear inducing story then please try watching it. It's a story that deserves to be known.

Well, I'm going to blow my nose for the next half hour and dry my tears while looking for something a little less heavy to brighten me up.

Edit: My eyes still hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Worgen

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia

I was hoping the movies would make it more palatable, but looks like Tomino is still up to no good. I'll probably give it a pass then. I tried a few episodes of the anime as it aired, but I found it incredibly difficult to follow and also utterly incomprehensible. Felt like I was watching Brain Power'd again.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
After pacing myself, just finished season 1 of Beastars. That show is really good. It almost feels like a more mature Zootopia (or at least, what I think a more mature Zootopia would be, having not actually watched Zootopia), but the characters are done so well, with all of the major characters having multiple layers to them, and even the minor characters coming off as fairly real rather than just stock characters. The show also holds back no punches in showing just how complicated the friendship, and possibly more, between Legoshi, a gray wolf, and Haru, a dwarf rabbit, is. Not just socially, but in terms of their own instincts naturally repelling each other.

Add in some rather dark moments when necessary, as well as light ones, and you have, in my opinion, one of the best recent anime that I've seen.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Miss the cel animation from the first three seasons of Daria. Digital really does make them lazier.

Season 3:

[IMG]

Season 4:

[IMG]

Also wish the digital ones weren't so vibrant. Doesn't look as photographic.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
After pacing myself, just finished season 1 of Beastars. That show is really good. It almost feels like a more mature Zootopia (or at least, what I think a more mature Zootopia would be, having not actually watched Zootopia), but the characters are done so well, with all of the major characters having multiple layers to them, and even the minor characters coming off as fairly real rather than just stock characters. The show also holds back no punches in showing just how complicated the friendship, and possibly more, between Legoshi, a gray wolf, and Haru, a dwarf rabbit, is. Not just socially, but in terms of their own instincts naturally repelling each other.

Add in some rather dark moments when necessary, as well as light ones, and you have, in my opinion, one of the best recent anime that I've seen.
It also has a really good opening song. Haven't watched the anime myself though, maybe I'll give it a shot now.

Edit: Sorry, I meant the ending theme, Monster.

Last edited: