The last thing we watched, cartoon/animu edition

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
At least Primal wasn't as rushed as the Samurai Jack finale. I still love the latter too, but I have no problem admitting it. Primal can actually end here fine, and I don't have a problem with it. I am more or less done with HBO Max, now the fuckers charge want axe anything that has people of color or gender in power position and sympathetic views. I know Harley Quinn is still gonna get another season, so there is that. Yet I might just go ahead and get the box sets on principle alone.
Well, their stock dipped really hard, they threw 90 million into the trash, and apparently they only have funding to market Black Adam and not even Shazam 2. So they're in deep trouble, and quite frankly they can fucking burn. I feel sorry for some of the projects tied to them, but I think that animated Batman movie or series is being bid on right now, so hopefully some others can get in on that.

I know Netflix seems to be axing a bunch in their animation department too, but we still got Del Toro's Pinocchio coming out, along with a new Henry Sellick movie, and Entergalactic looks pretty cool as well.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, their stock dipped really hard, they threw 90 million into the trash, and apparently they only have funding to market Black Adam and not even Shazam 2. So they're in deep trouble, and quite frankly they can fucking burn.
Agreed. Once I see Aquaman 2 and Shazam 2, WB can burn in hell for all I care. Oh, I still have interests in The Batman 2, because apparently that is still a go.

I think that animated Batman movie or series is being bid on right now, so hopefully some others can get in on that.
I did not know about it, but I honestly don't care for another Batman animated series/movie right now. We got more than enough of those already.
I know Netflix seems to be axing a bunch in their animation department too, but we still got Del Toro's Pinocchio coming out, along with a new Henry Sellick movie, and Entergalactic looks pretty cool as well.
I did not about this, but at least Netflix is still willing to have variety in their shows. Sucks the animation department is getting the cut, but a lot of these mediocre or bad live-action shows still get a chance or stay on far longer than they should. With most being cancelled any way after one or two seasons. I gonna watch Glitch Techs and try to finish the first season. After that, Mitchelsons vs. The Machines, and then the Cyberpunk Anime. Probably. I am thinking of going straight to season 2 of Glitch Techs.

Reactions: Casual Shinji

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Since it looks like season 3 is finished, been watching through all of Tuca and Bertie again. Still really good. Am almost half way through season 2.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I watched a few episodes of Bee and Puppycat on Netflix, and it's really quite good. Don't know how to discribe it - think of all the indie darling charm you can and roll it up into an anime and you'd get close. It looks flippin' gorgeous too. It has this hazy, laid-back feel to the visuals that reminds me a lot of the Moomin anime from back in the 90's. It's one of the least digital feeling cartoons I've seen in ages. The music is nice and snazzy as well.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Glitch Techs Episode 5 may be my favorite episode of season 1 so far. It's basically one of the best Castlevania references ever made. @Dalisclock, I do not know if you have seen this show, but if you ever do watch it, please at least get to S1E5. The show is on Netflix, so you should be able to watch the show fine. Bring the kids along; especially if they like gaming. I wish this show was around when I was in middle school or high school. Oh well, I am happy it exists.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I watched a few episodes of Bee and Puppycat on Netflix, and it's really quite good. Don't know how to discribe it - think of all the indie darling charm you can and roll it up into an anime and you'd get close. It looks flippin' gorgeous too. It has this hazy, laid-back feel to the visuals that reminds me a lot of the Moomin anime from back in the 90's. It's one of the least digital feeling cartoons I've seen in ages. The music is nice and snazzy as well.
It was originally a series of shorts but this version is very much expanded from that.

I really like it, but I can't help but think it reminds me of Adventure Time if it were animated by Studio Ghibli

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I remember backing that forever ago on kickstarter, then I lost sigh of it and I've no idea at what point it was even released.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Episode 2 of Rick and Morty Season 6 was a great concept buried in a really boring Die Hard parody.

Episode 3 however will go down as a Rick and Morty classic. Had me stifling laughter as to not wake up my family.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Cyberpunk Edgerunners

I find Netflix' original output to be on the whole quite meh, but their adult audience oriented anime have generally been pretty solid, and this is no exception. Studio Trigger delivers on the visuals, giving us an beautifully energetic yet atmospherically dystopian look at its cyberpunk setting. Also, great soundtrack. It's story is probably the most rote thing about it, a quintessential underdog narrative starting with tragedy and ending in tragedy, interspersed with the usual "what is the cost of transhumanism?". It's not bad, mind you. It's effectively told, very well written, helped by a cast of likeable and relatable misfit characters, but overal a fairly stock cyberpunk plot i.e. told well, but very familiar. I'd rate the show a solid 7, veering to an 8.

Hmm, should maybe rewatch GitS SAC. Wonder what I'll think of it now that I'm like 15 years older and maybe wiser.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hmm, should maybe rewatch GitS SAC. Wonder what I'll think of it now that I'm like 15 years older and maybe wiser.
SAC I admit that I do not like, but I can at least respect the first season. It's been too long, but second season I straight up gave up on. Keep in mind, I am talking about high school me. I did not like staying up at 1AM-2AM to watch this on adult_swim. From what I heard, the SAC movie is not exactly good from some fans and anime reviewers.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
SAC I admit that I do not like, but I can at least respect the first season. It's been too long, but second season I straight up gave up on. Keep in mind, I am talking about high school me. I did not like staying up at 1AM-2AM to watch this on adult_swim. From what I heard, the SAC movie is not exactly good from some fans and anime reviewers.
Yea, SAC is not the easiest show. I watched it first in the mid 00's, when I was in college, and I remember liking the setting and characters, and the action bits, but getting rather bored with the long talky bits. That's why I want a rewatch, see how I feel about all the politics and philosophising now that I've grown to appreciate stuff like that.

Not sure if I'll watch the movie too. I'm skipping the Netflix onas tho. I know I said Netlix anime output is good on average, but exceptions exist, and 2045 definitely is.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
SAC is very different than edgerunner, the talkie bits are what makes the show what it is, if your not into that then there's not really any reason to try to get into it. And SAC is also pretty different from the movie too, so if you skip one because you didn't like the other you should give it a shoot.

Reactions: Gordon_4

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
There's also the bit where the protagonists of SAC are the cops. Kinda flavors the whole thing differently

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yeh, I know SAC is not like Edgerunners. If I wanted that I'd probably be better off with something like Cyber City Oedo 808. I plan on watching SAC because it goes much harder on the whole transhumanism thing, which Edgerunners sort of touches upon, but doesn't really explore. And I kind of feel like that.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
There's also the bit where the protagonists of SAC are the cops. Kinda flavors the whole thing differently
Oh they're way higher up the food chain that mere cops.

Yeh, I know SAC is not like Edgerunners. If I wanted that I'd probably be better off with something like Cyber City Oedo 808. I plan on watching SAC because it goes much harder on the whole transhumanism thing, which Edgerunners sort of touches upon, but doesn't really explore. And I kind of feel like that.
Stand Alone Complex is still one of the best anime ever made, and its much easier to get into than its dense subject matter would suggest. The show breaks its episodes up into 'stand alone' and 'complex': so a stand alone is exactly what it says on the tin. Anything brought up there will be resolved by episode's end. Complex one's revolve around the season long story. From memory the first couple of SAC's episodes are stand alones to get you introduced to all the characters and flesh out the world before diving into the more heady stuff.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Finished watching Netflix's Cyberpunk Edgerunners anime.

Like most things that Trigger makes, it's great, oozes style and personality. The style and characters really carry what is otherwise a pretty bog standard cyberpunk story.

It's a shame that it's only 10 episodes, but I'd love to see them do additional stories in the universe in this style with new characters each time.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yea, SAC is not the easiest show. I watched it first in the mid 00's, when I was in college, and I remember liking the setting and characters, and the action bits, but getting rather bored with the long talky bits. That's why I want a rewatch, see how I feel about all the politics and philosophising now that I've grown to appreciate stuff like that.

Not sure if I'll watch the movie too. I'm skipping the Netflix onas tho. I know I said Netlix anime output is good on average, but exceptions exist, and 2045 definitely is.
SAC is one of the few anime that are legit awesome. The talky bits are the glue that makes it all work. I watched it the first time around that period in life as well and the one episode where she was just talking online was always one of my favorites.

Why...?

Stand Alone Complex is still one of the best anime ever made, and its much easier to get into than its dense subject matter would suggest. The show breaks its episodes up into 'stand alone' and 'complex': so a stand alone is exactly what it says on the tin. Anything brought up there will be resolved by episode's end. Complex one's revolve around the season long story. From memory the first couple of SAC's episodes are stand alones to get you introduced to all the characters and flesh out the world before diving into the more heady stuff.
Yeah, it's easily the best anime I've ever seen.