The Live Action Adaptions of Animated Works has officially gone too far.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wonder what the reaction will be if they start making Live action adapations of Studio Ghibli's animated works.
If it's the Japanese, they most likely won't screw it up. But they have their moments. If it's America or UK on the other hand, expect plenty of many fuck ups.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I wonder what the reaction will be if they start making Live action adapations of Studio Ghibli's animated works.
Ooh, I nominate Howl's Moving Castle first, with Danny Devito as the flame spirit. Or that one with the cat bus, just to see how unsettling it would look in a realistic presentation.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
From what I've heard from Death Note fans, it would seem they can screw it up.
The two live action Japanese movies are still better than the entire second half of death note. I freaking hate Near. I hate him more than Asuka Langley. I hate him more than Naru from Love Hina. I hate him more than nearly the entire cast of Inuyasha.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The two live action Japanese movies are still better than the entire second half of death note. I freaking hate Near. I hate him more than Asuka Langley. I hate him more than Naru from Love Hina. I hate him more than nearly the entire cast of Inuyasha.
From what I've read (haven't read or watched Death Note) L's end is much more satisfying in the movie than the manga.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
From what I've read (haven't read or watched Death Note) L's end is much more satisfying in the movie than the manga.
Exactly. For the record I watch the anime first when it came out on adult swim. Before that point, I heard about death note, but never really knew the premise until adult swim started airing it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Isn't it time people stopped clinging on to their sacred childhood fuzzies? This will keep happening either way, that's just what capitalism do. Might as well prepare yourself for it by cutting the past freeeeee. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for the same shock and disappointment for all the inevitable remake announcements in future, and I assure you there will be plenty for everyone. Also, have a spliff.
the show ain't going to ruin my childhood, I already know that. I still hate the idea and feel it's unnecessary. It's just best to let some things end or die. Constant milking does nothing but tarnish the brand further. Remember when cartoon Network kept milking Ben 10 into the ground? Though I never actually liked the original series that much, and prefer the Alien Force seasons.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Isn't it time people stopped clinging on to their sacred childhood fuzzies? This will keep happening either way, that's just what capitalism do. Might as well prepare yourself for it by cutting the past freeeeee. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for the same shock and disappointment for all the inevitable remake announcements in future, and I assure you there will be plenty for everyone. Also, have a spliff.
Part of it is a complete lack of creativity from the writers. They want to do a dark and gritty story, but have no idea how to write characters or stories, so they're just taking from previously existing IPs, regardless if the tonal change makes sense.
It'd be like if I wanted to tell a light-hearted, comical children's story about a magical bakery that grants wishes and I'll call it Berserk: The wonder years.

Some IPs by their definition and intent of the original creators can't translate into other interpretations. We can't do a live action reboot of the Transformers we're they're not robots fighting a war, but rather an LGBTQ+ centered story at a Circus. We can't do Attack on Titan, but instead of giant monsters attacking a city, its a wacky choose your own adventure about anthropomorphic planets and moons solving mysteries in space.

It speaks to a lack of creativity and trust in your own stories to need to assimilate another IP like the Borg just to get a few watches.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Its still happening....

ITS STILL HAPPENING!!!
Just ignore it and pretend it does not exist. Just watch old episodes of the OG series. Though I recommend you skip some of Season 5's episodes and all of Season 6.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Just ignore it and pretend it does not exist. Just watch old episodes of the OG series. Though I recommend you skip some of Season 5's episodes and all of Season 6.
I know where the decline began in the OG series.

The last good season was the one with the Nanobots that eats people's clothes.

And the Movie

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The last good season was the one with the Nanobots that eats people's clothes.

And the Movie
The Nanobots is in Season 4. Craig McCracken and most of his crew went on to work on Fosters, which explains the drop in quality, though Fosters had problems that showed up in its second season. So Craig screwed up too, but for different reason. Also, Season 2 of PPG had some bad episodes, and made girls really bitchy that season. Especially Buttercup.