The Ma'khia Bryant shooting

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I believe Sean Connery called it, 'The Chicago Way'.

The escalation to firearm when faced with a knife is a logical one; in fact in a distance of less than....I think its like thirty feet....the knife is still very dangerous because an average person can cover that distance in the time it typically takes someone to draw, aim and fire a weapon. On the other hand answering bluff sailor's talk with mace seems needlessly like escalatio.
I believe 'The Chicago Way' is about something like gang violence and showing how tough you are while the quote I posted is rooted in a lot of different factors around averages and safety and other things.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I believe Sean Connery called it, 'The Chicago Way'.

The escalation to firearm when faced with a knife is a logical one; in fact in a distance of less than....I think its like thirty feet....the knife is still very dangerous because an average person can cover that distance in the time it typically takes someone to draw, aim and fire a weapon. On the other hand answering bluff sailor's talk with mace seems needlessly like escalatio.
According to the Tueller Drill, the average person can run 21 feet (on flat ground, no obstructions), before the average police officer can draw and fire one shot from a handgun.

That's not to say that 30 feet is safe, of course, even if they get that one shot off in time, that doesn't mean they don't get stabbed.