The Mandalorian Season 2 [SPOILERS]

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
It's great we will get to see Mandalore in the future, now where's my Coruscant Underground. Also needs more B-wings, and Tie Defenders.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Also needs more B-wings, and Tie Defenders.
To this day, I've never understood why so many people like the B-wing.

It's a stupid ship that doesn't even look like a B, serving as a bomber for a force that already has one (the Y-wing), that doesn't actually do anything in Return of the Jedi, and yet somehow became a 'thing.'

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
To this day, I've never understood why so many people like the B-wing.

It's a stupid ship that doesn't even look like a B, serving as a bomber for a force that already has one (the Y-wing), that doesn't actually do anything in Return of the Jedi, and yet somehow became a 'thing.'
The Y wing is a fighter bomber, the B wing is a straight up bomber. Sort of the difference between an F4 Phantom, and a B52 Strattofortress.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Like so many things Star Wars it became mythologized through being in the original trilogy and since the EU lacked any quality control at all, it got expanded on with the kind of love that only passionate but mediocre fanfic writers can muster. I mean, the EU literally has books devoted to background characters in the cantina in ANH, so that some people will be very passionate about a ship used by the rebels is not strange at all. At least not in that context.
Well to be fair, the one consistent through line of the series has been that the ships have all been pretty cool.

Reactions: deleted20220709

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Like so many things Star Wars it became mythologized through being in the original trilogy and since the EU lacked any quality control at all, it got expanded on with the kind of love that only passionate but mediocre fanfic writers can muster. I mean, the EU literally has books devoted to background characters in the cantina in ANH, so that some people will be very passionate about a ship used by the rebels is not strange at all. At least not in that context.
I'm not sure that passes muster.

I never really delved into post-RotJ EU material that much, but I'm vaguely aware of the stuff that people generally love (e.g. Thrawn and Mara Jade), and generally don't (e.g. the yuzhan vong). So I don't think expanding on/creating something is an inherent pathway to popularity. Even if the B-wing was expanded on in lore, then that goes for every other ship in the setting. So why the B-wing in particular? Where's the similar love for other obscure ships such as the E-wing or V-wing? I mean, I hated flying the latter in Rogue Squadron, but I dunno, someone must have loved it at some point.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The Y wing is a fighter bomber, the B wing is a straight up bomber. Sort of the difference between an F4 Phantom, and a B52 Strattofortress.
According the the X-wing/Tie Fighter Flight sim games, the B-Wing was a much better bomber, becing able to dish out a lot more firepower and take a lot more hits then the Y-Wing.

Basically meant to replace what was already an old clone wars ship.

Now, I have no idea if the games mean anything anymore(or if they ever did) but I think they do canonically pack a lot more firepower then the Y-wing.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It's weird that they classify the B-wing as a bomber, when its main weapon is a mini-Death Star laser. Unless the appearance in Rebels is some kind of prototype.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
It's weird that they classify the B-wing as a bomber, when its main weapon is a mini-Death Star laser. Unless the appearance in Rebels is some kind of prototype.
I think the one in Rebels is a prototype since it was implied to be the only one.

I know in some other works it's supposed to have a rather large missle/torpedo loadout, but the movies don't go into detail about such things.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Saw latest episode. Kinda wonder why it's called The Siege even though there's not really any siege-ing.
Episode ends with Gideon and what looks a lot like Dark Troopers from Dark Forces. So eh, Kyle Katarn getting re-canonized? Probably not, but after this and Thrawn in Rebels, who knows what ideas from the old EU they'll dredge up next.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Saw latest episode. Kinda wonder why it's called The Siege even though there's not really any siege-ing.
Episode ends with Gideon and what looks a lot like Dark Troopers from Dark Forces. So eh, Kyle Katarn getting re-canonized? Probably not, but after this and Thrawn in Rebels, who knows what ideas from the old EU they'll dredge up next.
No Sun Crushers, please. The holy missile boat is fine. E-Wings, and K-wings as well.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
This latest episode might be my least favorite of the whole series so far. Odd pacing, dull action, and no new locations. Also I felt there was some uneven acting. Oh well. Maybe I'm just disappointed by the lack of Ahsoka.

The Dark Troopers were already kind of hinted at in Rebels, where Thrawn used the Droid prototypes to spar against. But yeah, could be interesting, Force sensitive Dark Troopers. I was worried this would somehow be linked to Snoke.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
No Sun Crushers, please. The holy missile boat is fine. E-Wings, and K-wings as well.
Not to mention that one dude fanboying over Vader, falling to the Dark Side through manipulation by a powerful Sith, and being responsible for the deaths of millions, but it's ok since he turns back to the light in the end and all is forgiven?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Turns out episode 4 was directed by Carl Weathers, which explains why it seemed a little off. But hey, it wasn't terrible, so good for him.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
As an armchair military commander(which means I'm CLEARLY much more qualified then actual military commanders who actually fought in actual wars), it does annoy me a bit.

I'm convinced people who work in the film/TV industry have no idea what siege is. They just like the word because it sounds cool.
Hell, Clone Wars ended with the SIEGE of Mandalore, which also wasn't a siege either.

Yes, I get that Sieges are dull and boring because the entire point is either to starve an enemy out or force them to abandon their defenses in an attempt to break the siege. But there are perfectly good words that describe the exciting parts that the writers/directors want to show and those are words like "Battle" and "Assualt".

Then again, Star Wars didn't seem to understand the concept of calling in an Air Strike in the films until The Force Awakens and the Finest Imperial Troops lost a critical battle at Endor because they were far more interested in chasing ewoks through their home territory then guarding a damn door for 2 hours, so that's the level of actual research we're working with here.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
You use all them fancy words, but you can get back to me when Hollywood finally embraces Chevauchée as the only proper word for a raiding attack. Incidentally, the last episode of the Mandalorian has many similarities with a Chevauchée.
I feel some shame I had to look that up. Well Played.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Okay...probably wrong, but:
I think Favreau might put in Rouge Squadron. Hear me out: it seems like the two X-Wing pilots might be recurring characters (original trilogy veterans at that), and while the fact that they fly X-Wings with red stripes maybe a coincidence, but nu-EU has established that different X-Wing squadrons fly different markings (see Blue squadron from Rouge One). Plus, Disney has been pretty liberal with allowing their Star Wars creators to plunder the old, jettisoned EU, but who knows.