Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So I finally go around to catching up.

Ep1: I like how hard they leaned back into the whole "western in space" thing here, from the look and visuals and score to the story. The Raiders were cool to learn more about and that did seem like Boboboboboboba Fett at the end.

Ep2: The effects for this show are great. A good episode, even if Mando acted too much like a man who didn't have flamethrowers and rocket launchers on his wrists. I loved the bits with the X-Wing pilots, someone should let Jon Favreau make a Rouge Squadron sho-

View attachment 1582

*sigh*

Ep3: As much as I love the whole "Man with no name and a baby" vibe, it's always cool to see Mando team up with other Mandalorians. And now we're getting the Clone Wars characters showing up too (wasn't much of a fan of the show, but I did like it's later seasons when they remembered the whole "Wars" part of the title more), and we are going to get the first character to interact with Baby Yoda who also knew Yoda.
I'm glad they explained the whole deal with Mando and his tribe/clan being so anal about not taking the helmets off, since this was never a big thing in the previous shows.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm glad they explained the whole deal with Mando and his tribe/clan being so anal about not taking the helmets off, since this was never a big thing in the previous shows.
I don't think any other culture has been more explored in Star Wars than the Mandalorians. You have so many different factions and belief systems. The Death Watch, the pacifists, the Protectors, the traditionalists (Maul's people), and now the Children of the Watch. Realistic enough in our world, but in Star Wars an odd concept. Most planets act like how countries do here.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I don't think any other culture has been more explored in Star Wars than the Mandalorians. You have so many different factions and belief systems. The Death Watch, the pacifists, the Protectors, the traditionalists (Maul's people), and now the Children of the Watch. Realistic enough in our world, but in Star Wars an odd concept. Most planets act like how countries do here.
It is annoying in fiction where most fantasy cultures get like one defining trait and that's where it's normally left. Conservation of detail and all that but when a culture gets enough coverage it shouldn't feel like a monolithic bloc or planet of hats.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Apparently there are people (a vocal minority I'm sure) who have problems with the female Manadalorians' armor. Specifically, that they have "boob armor". It's not something I really noticed myself, and I do think it's kind of a silly complaint.

That said, the armorer from season 1 did have armor that much less accented her curves. You could say that they were just being accurate to their appearance in the cartoon (which they really are), but they easily could have updated the armor.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I noticed it and found it silly, if only because of the armorer in season 1, but I can't be bothered to have any strong feelings about it either way. It is a less prominent boob plate then most and Star Wars doesn't really operate on any actual realism. Maybe their type of Mandalorian just really likes showing off ornamental boobs and Mando's group is a radical splinter for not having prominent boob ornaments for women's armor.
Mayhaps the Great Purge was caused by Mandalorian incels arguing over just how accented boobs should be.

Although on the topic of boob armor, I always thought it was rather weird that female Mandalorians get different helmets. I mean they do look cooler, but having to differentiate male from female doesn't seem like something Mandos would care about.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Apparently there are people (a vocal minority I'm sure) who have problems with the female Manadalorians' armor. Specifically, that they have "boob armor". It's not something I really noticed myself, and I do think it's kind of a silly complaint.

That said, the armorer from season 1 did have armor that much less accented her curves. You could say that they were just being accurate to their appearance in the cartoon (which they really are), but they easily could have updated the armor.
I saw that. I'm kinda eh about the whole thing. Though it has replaced last week where some people on the internet were really mad that Baby Yoda kept eating the frog lady eggs, because of her "Last of my line" comment she made. Some people took that to mean "Last of her species" it would seem so Baby Yoda was committing genocide.

Whereas I'm over here thinking "Have you ever dealt with a toddler? They'd totally eat someones eggs because you weren't watching them closely enough". Baby Yoda is basically a Toddler with Force Powers.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I saw that. I'm kinda eh about the whole thing. Though it has replaced last week where some people on the internet were really mad that Baby Yoda kept eating the frog lady eggs, because of her "Last of my line" comment she made. Some people took that to mean "Last of her species" it would seem so Baby Yoda was committing genocide.

Whereas I'm over here thinking "Have you ever dealt with a toddler? They'd totally eat someone eggs because you weren't watching them closely enough".
Baby Yoda eating her eggs stressed me the FUCK out, but yeah I'm surprised people were that angry. There's just what, potentially 5 less frogs in the galaxy now? I have a feeling in some novelization, if one ever comes around, they'll reveal that Baby Yoda could sense the eggs wouldn't be able to be fertilized or some shit.

Reactions: Tireseas

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Baby Yoda eating her eggs stressed me the FUCK out, but yeah I'm surprised people were that angry. There's just what, potentially 5 less frogs in the galaxy now? I have a feeling in some novelization, if one ever comes around, they'll reveal that Baby Yoda could sense the eggs wouldn't be able to be fertilized or some shit.
Well, don't animals that lay clutches of eggs do so because some will likely die? Yeah, there's 5 less eggs now that's all we have to go on. We only saw one tadpole(and numerous other eggs still in there) in the last episode anyway so presumably they didn't need all of them to make it.

Baby Yoda is a little shit but we knew that already.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Well, don't animals that lay clutches of eggs do so because some will likely die? Yeah, there's 5 less eggs now that's all we have to go on. We only saw one tadpole(and numerous other eggs still in there) in the last episode anyway so presumably they didn't need all of them to make it.

Baby Yoda is a little shit but we knew that already.
Yeah, that's why I didn't really mind it. I mean, chickens shit out eggs every day and majority of them are not fertilized. Frankly I don't know why I'm thinking this much about it HAHAHAHAHA But then overthinking meaningless crap is the essence of Star Wars.

Reactions: Dalisclock

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Although on the topic of boob armor, I always thought it was rather weird that female Mandalorians get different helmets. I mean they do look cooler, but having to differentiate male from female doesn't seem like something Mandos would care about.
I'm sure it's just a writing/framing convenience. Important/named characters tend to have more individual stylization as a matter of standing out from background characters, and one of the reasons why in a lot of shows the heroes in an army don't wear face concealing helmets even if the rank and file do is to make them easier for the audience to follow.

As I recall, when nu-Mandalorians debuted in the Clone Wars cartoon, there was only one faction wearing the distinctive armor (Death Watch), but the faction only had 2 distinct characters, a male and a female. The whole design decision to shape the helmets differently most likely stems from helping the audience keep up with which was which when the camera was close to the helmeted faces.

Likewise, the boob armor thing. Mainly an easy way to show women as part of the Mandalorian warriors for the purposes of representation, without having to animate a bunch of bare faces.

Edit: the above is in the context of the cartoon, which has a different stylization than the live action show. I haven't started watching the show yet, but I can see awkward issues with trying to be too faithful to a cartoon design in live-action.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
What with the boob armour thing? I got flooded with talking heads on YouTube over the weekend

I just couldn't be bothered finding out about this or the Harry Styles/Vogue thing. I think I reached peak internet stupidity and needed a break