The Mario Movie trailer is out

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

Me: Well....its a Mario movie alright, and I'm surprised how much it didn't stray from it looking and feeling like Mario

Moviebob (Died of Fanboyism)

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Like why not get an actual voice actor instead of just Pratt?
I think that's unfair. Lindsay Ellis did a video essay on the subject, and it was really Robin Williams being stunt cast as the genie in Aladdin that led to stunt casting in animated movies being common. And if you want to talk about stunt casting in video game movies, I think Jim Carrey's run as Dr. Robotnik could count, and he's never been in a Marvel film. Finally, Chris Pratt has worked as a voice actor, in The Lego Movie, it's sequel and Onward. Call him miscast or that you primarily associate him in his Guardians of the Galaxy roles but I find it hard to not call him a voice actor when he's already done it three times.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Not sure about the movie's tone. It's like it's simultaniously trying to be epic, but not too epic, and it's like Illumination's usual schtick is trying to get out, but being kept contained (only just) by the IP.

Also, I've no idea where the penguins are from, but I guess that shows how long it's been since I've played a Mario game.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also, I've no idea where the penguins are from, but I guess that shows how long it's been since I've played a Mario game.
They kind of look similar to the penguins seen in Super Mario 64.

This is what the Sonic movies should have been: animated and away from the live action/"go into our world" bullshit. I don't watch too many Illumination films, but the movie does look visually pleasing and looks like they're at least trying harder than they did with Grinch or The Lorax. I still heavily disagree with using Pratt as Mario, and not using Martinet. Martinet is more than talented and can handle a 1 hour & 30-minute runtime.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It's not even live action, no way this will surpass the 90's movie. Bowser isn't even a human!

Not sure about the movie's tone. It's like it's simultaniously trying to be epic, but not too epic, and it's like Illumination's usual schtick is trying to get out, but being kept contained (only just) by the IP.

Edit: Also SM64 like Brawlman said. Penguins aren't really strangers to the Mario series.

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I think that's unfair. Lindsay Ellis did a video essay on the subject, and it was really Robin Williams being stunt cast as the genie in Aladdin that led to stunt casting in animated movies being common. And if you want to talk about stunt casting in video game movies, I think Jim Carrey's run as Dr. Robotnik could count, and he's never been in a Marvel film. Finally, Chris Pratt has worked as a voice actor, in The Lego Movie, it's sequel and Onward. Call him miscast or that you primarily associate him in his Guardians of the Galaxy roles but I find it hard to not call him a voice actor when he's already done it three times.
Honestly I think the fact they asked Chris Pratt to just do his regular voice kinda disproves your point. He wasn't brought on for his stellar vocal range and pitch perfect Italian accent, he was brought on because he's Chris Pratt and that means Marvel.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
You could actually feel that this trailer was afraid to have Mario actually speak lol. Still can't tell exactly what they and Pratt are going for. It sorta sounds Italian? Sometimes?

Also, who is voicing Bowser again? It feels like they weren't quite able to sync up the voice acting with the animation. Not very imposing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also, who is voicing Bowser again? It feels like they weren't quite able to sync up the voice acting with the animation. Not very imposing.
Jack Black. Looks fine and sounds imposing to me and most others. Whatever errors there are they will fix in post.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Jack Black. Looks fine and sounds imposing to me and most others. Whatever errors there are they will fix in post.
Ah, I hear it now. I thought he was going to retire from acting.

Anyway, I just saw an IGN video where they put Charles Martinet's voice into the trailer. Except, you know, it's all just generic Mario sounds and some catchphrases. It had me thinking though, does he actually do voice acting for Mario besides that kinda thing? I have absolutely zero experience with the franchise so I don't even know if Mario ever actually has conversations with people.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It had me thinking though, does he actually do voice acting for Mario besides that kinda thing?
Martinet did a little bit beforehand, but Mario pretty much became his bread and butter. Then he got to voice Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi.

I have absolutely zero experience with the franchise, so I don't even know if Mario ever actually has conversations with people.
He's had a few here and there as Mario, but Martinet had more conversations as Wario than Mario in the later Warioware games. The dude has range and could definitely pull it off. Sucks the talented man is only get bit parts for minor characters.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Looks at thread...

So, I guess the penguins were there all along. I guess that's what happens when you leave a series out in the cold.

Don't worry, I'll waddle away.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
All you sillies arguing about voice casting, when Illumination's making the damn thing - This was going to end up cringe regardless. That joke at 1:57 is but a taste.