The Matrix 4: Resurrections Trailer

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I have to sit back and remind myself that these two aren't exactly Chris Nolan or Ridley Scott. Being surprised that this movie sucks is like being surprised M. Night Shyamalan would make shitty sequel to sixth sense. These derps made the matrix and haven't really made a good film since other than "arguably" V for vendetta, which I fuckin hated, and cloud Atlas. Weirdly I recalled liking Ninja Assassin, but they only produced that one and it flopped anyway.

I would definitely say in hindsight I wish they'd found someone else more invested in a continuation of the story. I'd bet there's a David Fincher type floating out there that could have done something less phoned in.
True. Though to be fair only one brother.....sister? came back to direct this one. Maybe they have like Wonder Twin powers where they are only good when together, but apart they are useless.

And there is always the possibility of "one hit wonder" syndrome. Where the first movie was fantastic, but with each new release they make you realize that they probably just got lucky and struck gold on a good idea that only works once.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I have to sit back and remind myself that these two aren't exactly Chris Nolan or Ridley Scott.
And even they have their fuck ups or movies I don't like. Aside from The Dark Knight Trilogy and Tenet, I do not like Nolan's movies. Ridley Scott's Prometheus sucked hard and was a complete waste of an idea. I preferred Tony Scott's movies any way.

These derps made the matrix and haven't really made a good film since other than "arguably" V for vendetta, which I fuckin hated, and cloud Atlas. Weirdly I recalled liking Ninja Assassin, but they only produced that one and it flopped anyway.
V for Vendetta I liked okay when I was in high school, but I don't have it anymore, nor need to watch again. Plus, Alan Moore hates it and considers the movie a poor adaption. Not a hardcore fan of him, but I can see where he coming from. Cloud Atlas I deliberately avoided seeing, and have no plans to watch ever. Ninja Assassin is the shit, son! One of the best ninja movies ever made! Sucks it did not do well in theaters, but the DVD/Blu-Ray sales were better. A sequel should have been green lit, but thankfully the movie ends in a way where it could go in to either direction. The best kind of open-ending.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Ninja Assassin is the shit, son! One of the best ninja movies ever made! Sucks it did not do well in theaters, but the DVD/Blu-Ray sales were better. A sequel should have been green lit, but thankfully the movie ends in a way where it could go in to either direction. The best kind of open-ending.
Ninja Assassin sucks because it suffers from the trope that 1 ninja is cool but a group of ninjas are lame and nearly useless.

Beverly Hills Ninja is clearly the superior ninja movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ninja Assassin sucks because it suffers from the trope that 1 ninja is cool but a group of ninjas are lame and nearly useless.
Couldn't hear you with all useless static coming out of your mouth, and forgetting the part where it's my problem. You know me by this point, and I don't know why you bother wasting my time on this. Ninja Assassin is an awesome movie. Respond to me again about this and I won't be replying back, so please don't waste either of our time. Especially me.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
True. Though to be fair only one brother.....sister?
They're both trans now, so sisters would be the correct term.
And there is always the possibility of "one hit wonder" syndrome. Where the first movie was fantastic, but with each new release they make you realize that they probably just got lucky and struck gold on a good idea that only works once.
You somewhat have point. I give credit where credit is due, but there are some things from the first film that don't hold up well, but overall it's a good film. It does not help that in my case, my big bro and I saw Dark City first on HBO a year before The Matrix came out. We were still mesmerized by the Matrix for its action and twist, but we both knew Dark City is the better movie. Like I said before, love Animatrix (though that at least had multiple creators having unique or better ideas), and Reloaded instantly burned me out and lost immediate interests. No one in my still has not watched the third movie. I only watched once in 2007. Never again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Welp, the YoVideoGames Crew like the movie and give it a 7/10, but they completely understand why people hate it or don't like it. They consider it fun, and they like the characters. They say it's Reeves best acting in a movie, and he's improved a lot. Though honestly, I always considered Reeves a good actor, but he has to been given direction and played for the strengths he has. The Crew is allowed to like whatever they like, but I find it odd (and kinda predicted) they enjoy this movie, which has terrible action, but will nearly hate anything from the DCEU or downplay their achievements. With some obvious exceptions. It comes off as hypocritical and inconsistent. At least the live action DC movies usually have great and better action, and do something their ideas, even if they're not perfect. The discussion starts around the 7 minute mark

Last edited:

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
The praise I see for this movie always seems so odd. Many of them admit that the action is bad, it leans really hard into nostalgia especially early on, the dramatic tone and plot shifts it feels like a few different movies crammed together, and the rough pacing. But then still say it’s a good movie. That the meta commentary and the themes redeem it. It’s really weird. I feel like people like the ideas of the movie enough that they ignore the execution, or latch onto certain parts so much that they ignore the rest. Like recommending a mediocre restaurant because the salad on the side was good.

i personally was incredibly disappointed in the movie. It was just a slog to get through. Some stuff was really interesting, particularly the alliance between humans and machines, but the movie felt like it just introduced the idea then dropped it. A whole movie could have been made about the machines having a civil war in and out of the matrix and humanity having to make choices but instead it was just slight world building. Instead the movie revolves around the romance of two characters who’s relationship in the prior movies was one of the least interesting parts. Most egregious of all was the action. Before the movie came out I figured that even if the plot was bad the action might be cool. I was excited to see what crazy shit they would come up with using modern effects and a big budget. But god what the fuck happened? There were a few cool shots in the opening but fuck me the rest was so bland. Closeups and force pushing, that’s all they had. The dojo scene was stands out as awful. It was blatantly clear that the hits were not connecting. I recently watched the first matrix and the action is still fantastic. The dojo fight in that one is so much fun. This one was just awful. They even set up the doors leading to other areas in the first scene, something that could have been used for all kinds of stunts and perspective changes, and they just dropped it.

The original movie just did so much better. The action scenes were amazing. There are so many iconic shots and scenes. Even the exposition was handled well. They found ways to make it interesting even when it was just characters explaining the rules of the world. In this new one there was none of that. Exposition was just characters talking at each other, or leaning on the original to do the heavy lifting. All the cuts to the first movie just made me want to stop watching the sequel and watch that one. This wasn’t the worst movie I’ve seen but fuck as someone who fell in love with the matrix when I was young it was so disappointing