The Metacritic Users bomb Call of Duty again

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Since I really pay no attention to how users rate games on Metacritic, I enjoy getting a good laugh out of them sometimes. That being said, I really think Bencam's review needs to be immortalized in gaming history.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Dexter111 said:
RedDeadFred said:
Plus, 10 is usually closer to the deserved score than 0.
Can you explain this? Why not give every game a 10/10, everyone could be happy!

Seriously the "professional" Review ratings are inflated as all shit, 8 basically means "ass" and with AAA games it just seems to be different scales of 9s where a
9 is "meh, but it may be fun to play for some people"
9.2 is "alright game, you should try it if you have some money left in your sock drawer"
9.4 is "not bad, but it's got some faults"
9.6 is "pretty good, you might want to try this"
9.8 is "yeah we're getting there, play this game"
and 10 is "GOTY! DORITOS! MOUNTAIN DEW!"

They really need an 11 soon to be able to distinguish the actually good games.

For instance I've been voting on iMDB for several years and have over 1000 titles, only 2 of which I gave a 10 because they're "closer" to a 10 than a 9 with the last 2 movies rated as a 5 and a 3. I only gave about 30 titles a 9 and some of those are also a lot of "closer to a 9 than a 8"'s. You never see anything close to a 5-6 from "professional" reviewers for AAA games unless the game will come to life and personally eat your dog or something.
I'm assuming that you want 5 to mean average but why? Scores don't work like that in grading other things so why should games get some special review scale? If you got 50% on a test in university you would not feel that you got an average grade. I know I would be thinking: wow I did really shitty on that test.

Now I do agree that there are definitely more 100% scores in gaming than there should be but I do believe that there are more games deserving of 100% than 0%.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you even brought professional reviewers into this discussion seeing as it's on user reviews. Especially IGN seeing as their reviews are probably the least professional of all the big gaming sites. The only thing I use them for is news because they tend to be first to a lot of things.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Aint really bothered on Metacritic. But I have looked at amazon and that's even more hilarious. 1/5 stars because they didn't get it on release. 5/5 stars because they didn't get it on release but know it's a good game. 5/5 stars and the tag line 'It's Call of Duty'

I'm much more willing to believe a 2/5 star rating if there's actual reasons for it than anything else.

It's the same with Black Ops Declassified. Which I found to be the biggest piece of crap ever. (easier than Rugrats and a shorter campaign too. Online is pretty much broken.) yet people are giving full marks because it's Call of Duty. (I actually saw a review trying to defend the 45 minute campaign by saying it's only there for people who commute o.0)

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Ugh...really? Look, i'll admit it; when these review bombs happen as a result of the devs/publishers insulting the player base, like what happened with ME3, I can kinda get behind that. It's probably the easiest and most visual way to get a dev/publisher's attention that they don't like being treated like cash cows, especially when taking into account how heavily Metacritic is weighed upon in the publishers eyes.

But this? I mean come on. The game, as far as i've read up on, doesn't do anything that would insult the player base. I mean, ok, I guess the PS3 version is having some issues with it's online code or something. But really? Now it's just becoming "the thing" to do when a big franchise comes out, meaning it looses any sort of validity that "bombing" could have had.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Oh well, they're just fucking numbers. I'm inclined to believe the problem is ultimately caused by the type of people who'll take over this thread, whose sole interest is what the numbers are.

Perhaps if we were all interested in the shit that actually matters - you know, what's actually being said in the reviews - then review-bombing scores like this wouldn't happen in the first place.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Twinkie said:
My personal Metacritic scores of the series:

Modern Warfare - 94/100
World at War - 95/100
Modern Warfare 2 - 84/100
Black Ops - 79/100
Modern Warfare 3 - 86/100
Black Ops II - 93/100

I started playing MW in 2008. I thought it was outstanding, as well as WaW. MW2 amped up MW to ridiculous levels with commando knifing from 15 feet away and bullets that could go around corners. They tried to fix it in Black Ops, but the lag was awful. The host always had a huge disadvantage. I tend to host a lot, so you can see what happened. IW tried to recover with MW3, but the awful streaks and maps drug it down. Black Ops II went back to the basics and I think it's the best CoD since WaW.
I probably would have rated Modern Warfare 3 lower, just because the campaign was pants on head retarded and the multiplayer felt pretty much like a rehash of 2, but I feel these scores are fair. Black Ops II is pretty much the best game the series has had in a long time and they hired some semi-competent writers for the campaign. I actually gave a shit about some of the characters, well done game.

Having played some legitimately bad games in the past I can review a game based on its merits rather than just a knee jerk reaction.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
And here I though the Escapist was the bastion of the resistance against companies and similar attempts of the 1984 chocolate ration effect.

And you know how publishers are countering that? By taking over the companies who break the norm. Destroy them from within or marginalize them to a point they are no longer a threat.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Akalabeth said:
People hate on Call of Duty but who bought Bulletstorm? No one apparently, but there's no fucking sequel. So everyone who talks about stagnate shooters can go get stuffed because a lot of the time that a new style shooter comes around, no one buys it, and everyone still goes and buys call of duty.
The best part was all of the people who complained that Bulletstorm was a Gears of War clone. Yeah.

That was a thing that actually happened.

OT: This is my shocked face:

The funny part is that this Call of Duty has actually taken small, baby steps towards changing up the formula, at least for the campaign, and yet all of the people who hate it because it's CoD are review-bombing it anyway.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
People called it a GoW clone because Yahtzee called it a GoW clone, and it was made by the same developer (with help from the original team).

I played Gears. I hated it. I played Bulletstorm. It was much better, though the humor was iffy, even the great Steve Blum couldn't help that, and your movement could of been faster which would of helped, but cover was rarely needed and the weapons were a lot of fun so it was an okay game.
Oh, I know why it happened. But the fact that it happened at all was just ridiculous, because outside of "roided up space marines", Bulletstorm had barely more than a passing resemblance to Gears of War, and the rest of that passing resemblance was caused mostly by them using the same engine as Gears.

I agree with your assessment of Bulletstorm, but it was still a pretty unique shooter when taken as a sum of all its parts and compared to a lot of other shooters released these days.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
A lot of professional reviews are basically paid for and the whole rating scale is centred around 8 rather than 5, so I'm not surprised that the reaction is 0/10 scores that give equally valid critical analysis, which is to say that some reviews that give 9 and 9.5/10 from people who should know better are as substantial as the word "ass" and a 0/10 from someone who at the very least hasn't conveyed any real thought.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Tiswas said:
It's the same with Black Ops Declassified. Which I found to be the biggest piece of crap ever. (easier than Rugrats and a shorter campaign too. Online is pretty much broken.) yet people are giving full marks because it's Call of Duty. (I actually saw a review trying to defend the 45 minute campaign by saying it's only there for people who commute o.0)
Lol wat? This has to be the biggest lie... People giving it full marks?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/call-of-duty-black-ops-declassified

It has a 33. That's hardly giving it full marks, doesn't even have 1 positive review. Granted it's a bit different with the user scores.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Rooster Cogburn said:
These threads are such circle-jerks of self-congratulation and condescension.
And you bring both.
Try reading the arguments, people are talking bout what they think does or does not deserve a good or bad review, that aside, why come here just to insult everyone in the thread? You accomplish nothing.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Meh, I don't care much about reviews nowadays. GI gave The Last Story a 6 and I like the game.
And I care much less about user reviews from people who just wanna crap on a popular franchise and feel like the next Jim Sterling.

Hold on, though. I must admit I'm not a big CoD fan. I want to be but all those assholes online drive me off. But regardless of that, all CoD games are fun to some degree. I mean, I've seen way worse games, games that you can even play because they're that bad (See: Sonic the Hedgehog 2006).

So I say fuck those guys. They don't know how to be objective. See, I could review FIFA or Madden or whatever and complain about how it's the same crap as last year's. But I wouldn't be objective because 1. I hate sports games and 2. I literally only play them like once per year. Therefore, my review is worth nothing.

Oh, internet. You're full of immature pricks.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Some of them raise some pretty decent points to be honest.

They're well thought out, raise some decent points.

Just because you're not hired by a company doesn't mean your opinion is entirely worthless.

These people are unhappy with a game, they show this. I've yet to see a game with a bad User Score that I disagree with.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Awexsome said:
I'm sorry but if you think games like CoD or ME3 are ACTUALLY worth scores like the 40's and lower you're part of the problem and why the user reviews are absolutely worthless. Critic reviews are a thousand times more reliable in all circumstances.

Despite anyone who would throw around conspiracy theories about how ____ game was paid off it's people putting their name and career behind a usually reasonable opinion.
I think you should read this [http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/10/26/all-the-pretty-doritos-how-video-game-journalism-went-off-the-rails/].

As for the scores? I haven't played ME3, but for any CoD-games after CoD4 I'd give them a 6 or 7 at best. They're functional and can be good for dumb fun, but they're really not anything special.