The modern man and full beards

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Yes it seems that full beards are back in fashion, along with tattoos.

Feedmeketamine

Sep 29, 2013
Ive got an okayish beard, but for me its more a matter of laziness. I had a beard trimmer but I lost the charger for it and once you get past a certain beard level wet shaving is terrible.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009

I love my beard and my beard loves me. Woe to anyone who dares to try and come between us!

Although to be honest I kinda suck at maintaining it. It ends up crazy bushy and if I try trimming it I usually fuck it up somehow.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
It's just Sheik chic, a transitory fashion that will wane once the next look comes in.

Another, less made up, explanation is that Winter's coming and a full beard is a great way to keep your face and throat warm (this is the main reason I sport a full beard at this time of year, it's like my Winter coat).

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
It's really hard for me to see a beard as a feature that adds to anyone's attractiveness, even if they're not bad looking without one. (Maybe with a few minor exceptions, like Commander Riker?) I don't mind them on older men, if it makes them look jolly like Santa Claus. Whenever I looked through my parents' photo albums at them from the 70's and early 80's, everyone was different degrees of hideous depending on the size and length of their beards and permed hair. I thought we all learned from the fashion mistakes of the 70's, but sadly it seems to be coming back, especially with younger guys.

I'll bet perms on guys are gonna be next, and you'll all be sorry when that happens.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I'm 26 and I usually have a full beard. Partly that's just laziness on my part; can't be bothered to keep myself clean-shaven all the time. Plus, shaving too often gives me a really irritated skin. I let it grow and trim once in a while and when it get's too long (wayyyy before Santa-length, don't worry, 1 inch is the very limit) I shave it off, keep it clean-shaven for a week or so and then start again. People say a beard suits me, so why change it? :)

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Y'know, I used to maintain a full beard because of social pressure... more specifically, I loathed anyone who felt the need to bow to such pressures. Repelling said people was the purpose of the beard.

...then I had to shave every day because a gas mask doesn't seal properly over a beard (and, y'know, regulations).

Now things have changed, beards are some form of fashionable... thus they have lost their purpose. I can wear one or not at this point. I really do despise comments relating to their popularity when I've got mine grown out, though. Recently I've been shaving every 2-3 days... pretty much taking off my stubble when it's on the cusp of beardhood.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
TopazFusion said:
On the bright-side, if you DON'T have a beard, you look at least a few years younger than anyone the same age as you who DOES have a beard.

And I don't have a beard (despite what my forum badges say). Any hair growing on my face really irritates and annoys me.
I first grew a beard for the opposite reason for this, that is to look older than I was at the time as I was getting tired of being referred to as a kid ect ect. Now though I am just used to it so its just there.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Wouldn't call it fashionable. Might be a response to media today, where men who look like little girls are being praised while manly men are getting forgotten. I've seen full blown beards on younger men way more often as well, and I really like it. I'm preparing for a full beard myself, but currently my growth is retarded. Chin, moustache and side burns are thick and grow like a man, but my cheeks are just fluff. My reasons for wanting a beard is because I consider it fucking manly. The Viking blood calls to me.

My moustache is blonde/light brown though(rest of my hair is dark brown/red), so it's probably gonna look a bit silly...

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I largely attribute my beardedness to being lazy. I will usually shave my face entirely then wait til it has grown to the point of annoyance and then start over again. I don't really see much purpose in only shaving part of my face since if I'm already going to the effort to shave why not just finish the job and shave it all?

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I have noticed facial hair has become a bit more prominent after the last few years. I know personally I am just too lazy to shave and put it off for long periods of time. Plus when I shave it makes me look a great deal younger and with my beard I get to show off my awesome gingerness!

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I've had a full beard for almost 4 years now, and it all started because I was too lazy to shave. I have to say, though, that in my case that was when I noticed more women (and one or two guys) showing interest in my manliness. I went from "who?" to "it's that guy with the beard." Clearly an improvement.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I have a beard, I originally let it grow to make me look older (I had just turned 17 and wanted to look old enough to do all the things a 17 year old wants). It worked. A lot of people have remarked that it suits me and I look good with it, so it stays. I trim it and keep it from getting out of hand, but being clean shaven feels odd to me now.

That said, if there was a reason to cut it all off, I wouldn't mind at all.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
If I could grow a full beard I would. I hate shaving. Unfortunately there are two small patches on each side of my cheek that do not grow any hair at all. Everything else grows like crazy so I have to shave every morning but I will never have a true full beard. The struggle is real.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
There are a few people who sport beards in school, but they're mostly just full face stubble. That said, there was one kid a few years back who had a pretty good one, despite being about 15. I suppose he needed it, since he also went bald around the same time. He was ginger, too. Hell of a guy.
I don't think I'll ever grow a beard, but I'm considering trying to get mustache. I need something to stroke thoughtfully at important moments.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
My beard started in the military, since you've to be either totally shaven or have a beard. And since i have a strong beard-growth i had to shave twice a day to be totally shaven which of course fucked up my skin big times.

Then i decided: I grow a beard. And it looked neat so i kept it.
Nowadays i just swap it around depending on mood. Since i only need roughly a month to get a respectable full beard i can do that.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I deny the notion that there is anything wrong with full beards. They're very distinguishing, and dammit they're warm in winter time!

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
I have a beard because it's too much trouble to not have one. My beard grows out really quickly, because of how manly I am (ladies...), so it's much less of a hassle to just have a full beard and maintain it. Also without my beard, I look like a tall 15 year old, but with it I look like I'm 25 years old. Looking older isn't always better, but I'd rather look 6 years older than I actually am than look like a teenager.

I used to be just some guy. Now I'm just some guy with a beard. It's an improvement.

EDIT: I forgot the best part! I have no neckbeard! My magical face stop growing hair at just the right point, it's glorious and super easy to maintain because of that.