The morons are at it again (ME3 review bombing)

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Monkeyman O said:
boag said:
Monkeyman O said:
Meh. Why do reviewers insist on giving Bioware games a bottom line of 9 regardless of the quality of the game?
It all evens out.
Lets see, interviews and exclusives, add traffic, favorable media list that gets shit early for reviewing.
Destructoid still gets all those things and does not have to sacrifice their integrity to do so.
Apart from a few whiney ***** developers, Jim has said on podtoid that most publishers are fine with even the negative reviews as long as he can back it up with proper reasons. Also negative reviews on big name games tends to draw more traffic.

Other, less credible sites that just give big name games a 10/10 do not really get anything extra and are generally distrusted by the community. Gamespot caught a whole world of shit after the Gurstmann incident. The Escapist also lost a whole lot of credibility after giving Dragon Age 2 a 10/10 even though it was a thoroughly broken game.

And I don't know about Gamespot but The Escapist has certainly not gotten any exclusive interviews and they constantly give out high ball scores.
Well there is always this reasoning

SurfinTaxt said:
boag said:
Canadish said:
People are lashing out because they're angry and the company in question refuses to listen.

Dumbing down games.
because you couldnt just pick soldier and steam roll ME1 completely on Insanity right? Push button win game was such a smart way to play it.

Day 0 DLC.
oh noes, they are giving people the OPTION to buy more shit, those evil EA people are turning Bioware into baby eating satanists

Games are getting shorter.
if by shorter you mean making you spend less time on retarded repetitive activities, then yes they are

Games are getting more expensive.
when you pay 90-100 dollars for a rehashed level that repeats add infinity, then you will be right.

The homogenization of the whole industry, making everything into boring FPS clones.
im sorry what?

We're able to communicate with the developers better then ever before, and yet they listen less and less.
are you joking? just because they dont listen to YOUR personal complaints, doesnt mean they havent listened, the whole Tali and Garrus Romance, thats something they put in to shut fans up

People want something different then what is being offered.

Dont generalize what you want with what everyone wants

Ignoring it doesn't work anymore, and all you end up doing is cutting yourself off from your hobby because there are only a handful of companies now who are are all doing the same shit. But the potential for great games is still there. Gems like Deus Ex and the Witcher 2 still get released every once in a blue moon.

The Hype Machine is just to powerful now however, and the DudeBro crowd keeps lazy and cowardly publishers afloat.

So people are going on offensive however they can.
I admire it in a way.
Unfortunately alot of the comments are just stupid/borderline retarded (if you will excuse using that term for a moment). Doesn't change the point or the issue however. Attacking the argument based on a few idiot band wagoners is bullshit.
how can you make so many generalizations in one post?
That guy seems to be bipolar, hes arguing with himself

Jokes aside, i had to fix this for youif by shorter you mean making you spend MORE time on retarded repetitive activities, then yes they are

They junked planetary exploration in favor of a stupid point and click mining game. Twice
Well.... the mako was fun the first 5 planets, then it becomes a shore, specially because the planets are the same with different reskins, kinda like most of the Planet exploration lvls.

Lots of things in ME were just copy pasted over and over again, which made my last run very freaking annoying because I was so sick of the repetitiveness.

I finally got to ME2 again, and its such a freaking breath of fresh air in comparison, The combat is a huge improvement although Still lamer than ME3, but there is finally variety in lvls, enemies and quests. The mining game is a kick in the balls but at least I can just put on the Picture in Picture on my TV and watch something while doing it, and its taken me like 50 minutes tops to max out all the minerals I will ever need for upgrades.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
TheKasp said:
It got more expensive? No. Gaming is not getting more expensive, it is getting cheaper.
The game isnt out here in the UK yet so i can't comment on the quality but the price is certainly higher. The collectors edition costs £55 on PC (it was an exclusive at Game for £70 which is absolutly ridiculous...until they stopped stocking it) The CE for ME2 was £35 two years ago.

The standard edition for ME3 is £35 whereas every Bioware RPG since ME1 has been £25.

So price is definatly an issue. The rest of the points aren't really valid right now until it's been out for a while.

The review bombing is very petty though...
The price of Final Fantasy 1 when it was released back in the 90s was around 80 dollars. equivalent to about 120-130 dollars with inflation give or take. That was for a single regular edition game. Not a special edition like you get now for about 100. the regular one. so yeah gaming is getting cheaper. the only problem is that pay isnt keeping up with inflation which is keeping quite a good number of people in poverty or close to it and forcing them to work 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
TheKasp said:
It got more expensive? No. Gaming is not getting more expensive, it is getting cheaper.
The game isnt out here in the UK yet so i can't comment on the quality but the price is certainly higher. The collectors edition costs £55 on PC (it was an exclusive at Game for £70 which is absolutly ridiculous...until they stopped stocking it) The CE for ME2 was £35 two years ago.

The standard edition for ME3 is £35 whereas every Bioware RPG since ME1 has been £25.

So price is definatly an issue. The rest of the points aren't really valid right now until it's been out for a while.

The price of Final Fantasy 1 when it was released back in the 90s was around 80 dollars. equivalent to about 120-130 dollars with inflation give or take. That was for a single regular edition game. Not a special edition like you get now for about 100. the regular one. so yeah gaming is getting cheaper. the only problem is that pay isnt keeping up with inflation which is keeping quite a good number of people in poverty or close to it and forcing them to work 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet.
New technology is always more expensive when it's first commercially released, so comparing games to prices of 30 years ago serves no purpose. The fact is games have increased in price by 25% over the past few years... that's a fact.

A new PS3 with a game will cost me about £225. I payed £400 for mine 5 years ago. If today Sony put the price up to £325 im not going to say PS3s are getting cheaper because i decide to compare it to a time that isn't relevent anymore am i?

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
Krion_Vark said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
TheKasp said:

New technology is always more expensive when it's first commercially released, so comparing games to prices of 30 years ago serves no purpose. The fact is games have increased in price by 25% over the past few years... that's a fact.

A new PS3 with a game will cost me about £225. I payed £400 for mine 5 years ago. If today Sony put the price up to £325 im not going to say PS3s are getting cheaper because i decide to compare it to a time that isn't relevent anymore am i?
So its only fair to compare previous prices when it fits your argument, ok gotcha.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
boag said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Krion_Vark said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
TheKasp said:

So its only fair to compare previous prices when it fits your argument, ok gotcha.
What? Did you read my post? I explained that comparing outdated prices doesn't make sense.
I compared Mass Effect 2 to Mass Effect 3, The person i was quoting was comparing Mass Effect 3 to Final Fantasy 1... There is a difference.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
boag said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Krion_Vark said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
TheKasp said:

What? Did you read my post? I explained that comparing outdated prices doesn't make sense.
I compared Mass Effect 2 to Mass Effect 3, The person i was quoting was comparing Mass Effect 3 to Final Fantasy 1... There is a difference.
Yes, the difference is that Videogames where a hell of a lot more expensive in the previous console Generations, something that you dont want to admit because it breaks apart your little theory that games are getting more expensive, Regardless even your little comparison falls apart when you realize that Between ME 1 and 3 there has been no Price hike at all.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/xbox-360/mass-effect
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/xbox-360/mass-effect-2

both games retailed at 60 dollars on their respective release dates, so yeah no, games havent been getting more expensive

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
boag said:
viranimus said:
Not remaining true to the prior installments
Can you elaborate on this, because its a pretty vague terminology you are using.
Nope.

One, if you read what I said you would understand that list of complaints is representative of the list of complaints on review boards, specifically in this case metacritic.

Two, I am not going to perpetuate goading. And by the look of this thread it seems youve already got your hands full with other arguments.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
viranimus said:
boag said:
viranimus said:
Can you elaborate on this, because its a pretty vague terminology you are using.
Nope.

One, if you read what I said you would understand that list of complaints is representative of the list of complaints on review boards, specifically in this case metacritic.

Two, I am not going to perpetuate goading. And by the look of this thread it seems youve already got your hands full with other arguments.
so you arent going to elaborate because you are just band wagoning what all the critics say, and cant think of a criticism yourself?

I can see where the rest of your criticisms come from, but BEING TRUE, is as vague as vague can get, which is why I asked you to elaborate.

i have my own set of problems with the Game, but I love calling bullshit when I see it.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
boag said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
boag said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Krion_Vark said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
TheKasp said:

Yes, the difference is that Videogames where a hell of a lot more expensive in the previous console Generations, something that you dont want to admit because it breaks apart your little theory that games are getting more expensive, Regardless even your little comparison falls apart when you realize that Between ME 1 and 3 there has been no Price hike at all.

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/xbox-360/mass-effect
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/xbox-360/mass-effect-2

both games retailed at 60 dollars on their respective release dates, so yeah no, games havent been getting more expensive
Yes. In previous console generations... As in not this one.. So prices from previous generations aren't relevant.
Im not sure what point you're trying to make with those price charting links, for me they're showing used prices... but if you read my post you'd know i was talking about the PC version and UK pricing. I paid £25 for ME1 on release, £35 for ME2 Collectors edition on release (the regular was £25) and now for ME3 im paying £55 on release for the Collectors edition (with the regular being £35)

If you're telling me the price has not increased then you're either being deliberatly obtuse or you're a bit dull. The same goes if you don't understand that comparing today prices with games from 25 years ago doesnt make sense either.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
boag said:
viranimus said:
boag said:
viranimus said:
Nope.

so you arent going to elaborate because you are just band wagoning what all the critics say, and cant think of a criticism yourself?

I can see where the rest of your criticisms come from, but BEING TRUE, is as vague as vague can get, which is why I asked you to elaborate.

i have my own set of problems with the Game, but I love calling bullshit when I see it.
The only bullshit involved here is applying context that is not there. Is it bullshit if you had to construct it out of thin air?

The point of my post was to explain that the game cannot merit a zero, the game certainly will not merit a 10. The list was a list of common complaints from metacritic much like I said in my last post. Regardless of the scores the players give the game the list of repetitive complaints illustrates that the people giving the game a 10 is even more irrational than giving the game a 0

Now please, I ask to stop trying to stir up an argument with me based on picking and choosing out of what I wrote and reading entirely too much into it for your own personal context. Youve got other discussions going in this thread, go focus on that. Or are you really that determined to be in violation of the code of conduct?

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Draech said:
Mr.K. said:
Well their "let's hustle them for money like never before" business model might have something to do with it, or everyone just missed their coffee.
I am sorry, but what part of it is a hustle?

They havn't been doing any false promises.
Correct they are using the high demand for their product to get more profits, but how is that a crime?

It was never a gift to the people... it was always just another product.
While its not a false promise, I believe EA/Bioware's use of day one DLC and multiplayer pass systems would fall under "hustle people for their money". If a group think they are being nickel and dimed then they have every right to be angry, this isn't about entitlement, its not about EA/Bioware lying, its about a consumer block taking an issue with a business practice and showing it through (albeit a juvenile) game score.

Maybe its a pet peeve of mine, but people seem too quick to merge two separate issues together, yes there is an issue with this entitled attitude gamers have, but it is also true that gamers have every right to dislike a business practice without being labeled as "just one of those entitled gamers".

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
when it comes to metacritic the flatline 0's balance out the 10/10s and the 9/10s for a game that is no where near perfect and smacks either of Fanboy critics or Paid Off critics. Which is fine i suppose, it makes people with all the brain power of a corporate lemming buy your game and agree with you so i suppose in the end it works. I don't even hate them for it, i just get depressed and have another drink.

Also having a problem with practices aimed at you and impeding/changing things you like into things you don't like in an attempt to make more money isn't entitlement. It's having a problem with things directly affecting you. Though i'm doing the sensible thing and ignoring the damn game until the hype is over and a GOTY edition comes out at cut price and a crack, Origin can fuck off.

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
Wait... From what i'm seeing it has a 93% meta for pc and 94% for xbox 360... It's looking like it's doing quite well....

Am I missing something here?

Leole

Jul 24, 2010
I.. I hope you guys realize that the game got leaked earlier and plenty of people downloaded it illegally.

Not all those reviews are for the explicit purpose of bombing.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
So, let me get this straight:

A single person will always be able to voice its likes and dislikes clearly. Applying that same logic to a fanbase numbering in the millions is another story. So BioWare goes "What do?" and takes the safest route - appealing to the lowest common denominator. Seems pretty decent to me so far, I'd even go so far as to call it a wise business strategy.

Throwing a monkey wrench in this factor, though, is the fact that Mass Effect started as an RPG with shooter elements. Catering to the Call of Duty crowd certainly will bring in a sizable demographic, but it'll alienate the core fanbase - the ones that stuck along for the story or characters, typical BioWare strong points. This looks like a hefty risk, but one that was obviously considered. Again, revenues are the core reason behind this.

Then there's the Jersey Shore-ification of the cast. Or, rather, this is how it's being called after the reveal of only two of the actors involved in the project out of... how many? One of the two isn't even an actress to begin with, and she plays a bit part? Excuse me, where's the freaking problem? Can't I ignore Jess Chobot if I want to? Can I reasonably assume I can stick Freddie Prinze Jr. in the cargo hold and leave him to stew there for the duration of my playthrough? Yes?

So where's the problem?

Aaaaand, multiplayer. Something that's completely optional, unless you're an achievement hunter who absolutely needs an -nth variation on a Kill Streak Gamerscore reward. It's optional, so who cares?

Insofar, all I'm seeing is the usual, normal case of a publisher assessing a product's worth, taking some risks and shying away from others; the sort of streamlining that happens when you have several millions worth of invested capital to recoup. You have to play it safe, or you're setting yourself up for a financial re-enactment of the Hindenberg disaster. It absolutely sucks as far as innovation goes, but what could you honestly do?

Considering all of the above, some people felt it necessary for them to go ahead and bomb Metacritic? That's honestly like some of my peers at the uni going "WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS FOR FREE! STRIKE, MOTHERFUCKERS! QUEBEC'S A FASCIST STATE! BOO!"

In that, you know, it's not what I'd exactly call a mature or informed reaction. The best kind of reaction would have been a boycott of the game or simply personally abstaining to buy it. As is, I'm sure we'll see most of the raging, spiteful idiots who bombed ME3 shoot themselves in the foot with a closer inspection of their Xbox/PS3 tags and their activity...

The above example also applies literally when you consider the Day One DLC. All the rage being brewed about this is fairly annoying, largely because you just know a sizable chunk of the folks riding the Whaaaambulance is going to head straight for its favorite Torrent tracker to get that piece of software just hours after raging against it.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Leole said:
I.. I hope you guys realize that the game got leaked earlier and plenty of people downloaded it illegally.

Not all those reviews are for the explicit purpose of bombing.
Maybe one or two then?

It's a large concerted effort by unhappy fanboys and haters that had no intention of doing anything other than this well before any of them even played the game if they did at all. Don't defend that which isn't worth defending.