The most beautiful sight in a video game

Meshakhad_v1legacy

Feb 20, 2008
What would the most beautiful sight in a video game be for you?

Here are my nominations:
Stronghold Crusader: Seeing an enemy castle consumed by flame.
Half Life 2: Your first introduction to Alyx Vance. Every other time you see Alyx is a runner-up.
Dawn of War: A Baneblade tank belonging to you.
Command & Conquer 3: A Nod nuke belonging to you going off.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
In game-Mass attack with IG
Trailer-First Halo 3 trailer when you see Master Chief has the Assualt Rifle

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
When you return to an area in Ninja Gaiden and you see all the bodies. It gets no better than you thinking 'Ahhh I did that.'

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
The jungle level in halo 3. Damn thats some good lighting. Also, unlocking sonic in super smash bros. brawl.

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
The helicopter that comes to rescue you at the end of One Shot, One Kill in Call of Duty 4.
The train station after Ravenholm in Half-Life 2. Oh, evil murderous cyborgs, how I missed thee.
The cut scene at the end of Cortana in Halo 3.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
First seeing the outside world in Oblivion. I actually just stood there for a few seconds, taking it all in.

minignu

Jun 16, 2008
Seeing the island for the first time in Far Cry with graphics riiiiiiiight up. Pretty mind blowing when it was first released, all that foliage, birds and purdy, purdy water. Then you get shot by the oddly psychic mercenaries. Beautiful.

Riding a dropship in Planetside in a mass assault and seeing 200+ players all hotdrop out at the same time into a mass tank battle. Imagine one of the biggest setpieces you've ever seen in an FPS - vehicles and soldiers everywhere, things exploding and gunfire filling the air. Now imagine those people were all players and you were for once, actually only a small cog in a massive war machine instead of the usual super soldier/rambo figure. Immense.

Seeing a Bloodthirster and support troops tear apart entire squads in DoW. Awesome.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
The moment you arrive in Shadow Moses in MGS4, seeing it in the new graphics (Never played Twin Snakes).
On top of the castle in Ico.
First time you see a colossus in SotC and you think "Wow, I didn't think they were that big"
Seeing a bunch of striders marching your way in HL2.
When you land on the halo in the original game. Priceless.
Watching how Ares is destroying Athens in God Of War one.
The special effects whenever you beat the final boss of a Final Fantasy game.

I could go on and on...

sicDaniel

Mar 30, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
First seeing the outside world in Oblivion. I actually just stood there for a few seconds, taking it all in.
That is exactly what i wanted to post.
I have not played many games that came after Oblivion, like Crysis or Stalker, because my Computer broke.

Thinking about it, your army of Zerglings and Hydralisks destroying the enemy base in an online session of Starcraft-Broodwar might be even more beautiful, in a different way.

ImperialPyromancer

Jan 3, 2008
Bosses in general. I bloody love boss battles (excluding Bioshock - That boss was terrible)

Note: This is biased as I'm playing Twilight Princess at the moment, those bosses are rather cool.

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
Juan Regular said:
When you land on the halo in the original game. Priceless.
I concur.

Starcraft - Nuclear Launch Detect.....Nuclear Launch Detected (*2 Nukes drop) BOOOOOOBOOOOOOOOOM!! Because 1 Nuke just isn't enough to completely ravage the shit out of everything.

7th Legion - Self Destruct. There were 4 buttons on the lower left corner of the screen. If you pressed them all, every single one of your buildings would self-destruct in rapid succession.

Mega Man X2 - Bubble Crab's Stage. Despite the limited technology of the SNES, the rocky cave with the sunset in the background is awe inspiring.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Subspace. Oooh. Purdy colours.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Hyrule field. Gotta love them sunrises/sunsets.

JaguarWong

Jun 5, 2008
Level 5 on Rez - I wish I could watch myself play it.

In lots of old skool games the most beautiful sight in the world is a health pack.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
So many places of Shadow of the Colossus...If I have to pick a favorite, I'd say within the battle with 13th Colussus (flying sand dragon(?))

OmegaTalon

Jun 12, 2008
Supreme Commander - Watching a MonkeyLord (or 3) march through an enemy base annihilating anything that dares to move near it.
For anybody wondering the MonkeyLord is the giant spider with the laser on top.

Rez - Most of the bosses particularly on level 3 and 4, they just look awesome.

Chrome Hounds - Loading your Hound with 10 full racks of rockets, then unloading them all at once, watching the massive flames appearing around your screen as all your enemies explode soon after, the flames clear, second round of rockets, what's not to like?

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Final Fantasy XI - Finally getting access to the Tavnazian Archipelago. Lufaise is one of the prettiest areas I've ever seen in any video game ever.

Ancalagon

May 14, 2008
I'll third the Oblivion thing. It was the first game I'd got for my new PC, and I hadn't played any PC games for years. So I load it up, and as I'm wondering around the dungeon, I'm thinking, 'Well, I suppose this is quite pretty...', and then you open up that door. I spent the next hour or so chasing butterflies and paddling in streams like some mediaeval nancy-boy.

Also, the trip down to Rapture in Bioshock left me pretty awestruck.

J'aen

Jul 6, 2008
I didn't chase butterflies or anything, but about 5 minutes after i got out of the sewers and I was still wandering around, the Sun started to set. Beautiful.