The most Crushing things people have said to you.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
deathninja said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Was this in the news?!

Seriously I hope that guy was out of his job by the time he left the building that day.
I was too shocked to do anything about it at the time. Besides, it's never a good idea to start shit with your local force, even if you're in the right.
More amusing than offensive, but still pretty startling:

At a UCAS convention, I asked the guy at the Royal Navy booth (I'm going into the commandos) whether my University course had to be relevant to my military career.

"Don't need qualifications to kill Pakis".

Riiiiight.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Binnsyboy said:
At a UCAS convention, I asked the guy at the Royal Navy booth (I'm going into the commandos) whether my University course had to be relevant to my military career.

Riiiiight.
A couple of schoolmates ended up in the unit, the language doesn't surprise me.

Just don't make the mistake another friend did and tell them you're also applying to the Para regiment...

I also forgot to mention, the ironic (I hope I've used it right) thing was the booth before them was joint Nuclear Police and Red Caps, who'd all but offered me jobs there and then (even after disability disclosure).

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
In short, when my father said he didn't love me or anyone in our family, and some other things.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
deathninja said:
Binnsyboy said:

Riiiiight.
A couple of schoolmates ended up in the unit, the language doesn't surprise me.

Just don't make the mistake another friend did and tell them you're also applying to the Para regiment...

I also forgot to mention, the ironic (I hope I've used it right) thing was the booth before them was joint Nuclear Police and Red Caps, who'd all but offered me jobs there and then (even after disability disclosure).
Yes, I'm well aware of their relationship.

A friend of mine applied to both, and at a paras interview, they had him on that he was too tall. He's in the paratroopers now, though.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Binnsyboy said:
A friend of mine applied to both, and at a paras interview, they had him on that he was too tall. He's in the paratroopers now, though.
I swear that they teach that ' 1" over regulation height' schtick in basic, I've heard it that often.

Being ruled out of uniformed services is a blessing and a curse; pretty much my entire family for generations until me has been military or emergency services, so I'm letting the side down. On the other hand forces were pretty much 50:50 Air Force/Navy an services the same with Police:Fire, so I'm not stoking old tensions.

Would have been nice to be useful though.

Alexi089

Jun 26, 2011
deathninja said:
Was at a careers fair at uni, asked for an employers stance on disability, and was told I'd be less use than a dog to them, no-one's going to hire me and the best thing I could do is kill myself so I'm not a burden on the state anymore.

Stay classy Thames Valley Police.
Wow..Ja voll Mein Fuhrer! Maybe somone should play that back to him if he ever needs urgent, expensive medical treatment after a serious accident, attack or illness. Who wants to place bets on how long it takes Dr. Alpha-dawg McEugenics to ball his ickle eyes out?

OT: Although I don't remember the fine details, I'd bet it was my first primary school teacher, cos my god! Did she hate me! I don't even really know why, I don't recall being purposefully troublesome; and i was a pretty quiet kid. I remember her throwing a tantrum at me for placing my wet painting on top of another kid's half dry paiting to (there was no space to put mine on); and her telling me what a nasty, spiteful little brat I was for intentionally smudging another child's (one of her favourites) painting. I was 4...She even yelled (not exaggerating) at my mother over it when she came for a parent/ techer meeting! Oh, and she got so mad at me for making a few mistakes on a math question paper, that she angrily stuffed a rubber in my hand, and started aggressivly dragging my hand all over the paper (ripping it!) to rub all my answers out and told me to 'do it right now!'. Ya know what. I'm gonna say: I hope she got/ gets cancer. Serious face. ***** should rot. Ahh that was cathartic!

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
I once got dumped when my girlfriend decided I was 'too ugly' to go out with. I've got to say, my self-esteem hasn't been the same since.

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
AngloDoom said:
I once got dumped when my girlfriend decided I was 'too ugly' to go out with. I've got to say, my self-esteem hasn't been the same since.
My God do I know that feel!

Roughly two years ago, a girl I was dating told me of a conversation she had with one of her friends, who was also a small acquaintance of mine. Apparently, her friend told the girl I was dating that she was comfortable with us being together as a couple... but didn't like the idea of us having sex, because I was "too ugly". The worst part was... the girl I dated at the time didn't completely disagree with that. :/

So I guess that is my story for this thread.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Alexi089 said:
Ahh that was cathartic!
Good to get it off your chest though, right?

The funny thing is a few weeks later I got my head kicked in bailing out one of this guys colleagues because she was overmatched (though to be fair she was actually on the streets rather than a desk jockey). I've no hate for the Police; I know enough people in the job, and it's rough, but on the flipside it's also one of the few professions where being a total asshat is no hindrance to career progression.

Whew, been a while since I aired all this, feels good man...

Alexi089

Jun 26, 2011
denseWorm said:
someone, now forgotten, once casually remarked that I was a:

"Jack of all trades, master of none"

Ever since then I've been scared that it's the truth at least twice a week. Usually more often.
Don't worry man. Most people are, likely including the person who said it to you. Most people muddle through at work; then they muddle faster having had practise muddling. Case in point: Look up the number of scientific discoveries that have come about by accident (Example: Alfred Wilem discovering age hardening in steels).

I have it on good authority that there are plenty of 'high flying' executives for whom this sketch is quite true:

Just stick at something you have some interest in and you'll do fine, or maybe do well! The fact you know you where you could've done better before means you're learning.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
My last relation ship was a lie, found out she never loved me from the start :|
There are some more, including my own father who lied to me for 11 years.

DarkSoldier84

Jul 8, 2010
I had been trying to get a hold of a friend I hadn't talked to for years. I finally sent him a text message "Whatever I did, I'm sorry. Please talk to me."

The reply was painful to read, and he was right. He had deliberately cut ties because he had tried to help me and I'd thrown his help away. I was a jerk to him and his wife and neither of them deserved any of the crap I'd dumped on them. He didn't even want to try to mend the relationship when I offered.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I'll join the ranks of men here. The break-up conversation with my ex (about a month ago, tad less):

"I love you. I love you so much. I'm just not in love with you."

Feltbadbro

And this little gem from my incredibly passive-aggressive Baptist Christian mother, as she was in tears when I told her I didn't want to go to church:

"If you don't go to church, you're going to burn in hell and I just can't live with that thought."

Alexi089

Jun 26, 2011
deathninja said:
Alexi089 said:
Ahh that was cathartic!
Good to get it off your chest though, right?

The funny thing is a few weeks later I got my head kicked in bailing out one of this guys colleagues because she was overmatched (though to be fair she was actually on the streets rather than a desk jockey). I've no hate for the Police; I know enough people in the job, and it's rough, but on the flipside it's also one of the few professions where being a total asshat is no hindrance to career progression.

Whew, been a while since I aired all this, feels good man...
To be honest, it was so long ago and I was so young (so my memory of it all isn't all that vivid anyway), I mostly look at that year with a kind of dark humour. But, yeah, she should definately have been fired the way she behaved towards some of the kids.

It is a shame how a few bad officers can spoil police-public relations. I'll admit, from past experience I'm not a big cop fan; but I do bear in mind the next guy could be fine. I'm just ready to try to get everything done as quickly as possible if I do wind up dealing with an officer who's a prick for no reason. From your experience, how many would you say get into it for a power trip? I'm guessing you're in a police cadets thing if you helped the other officer out?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
There are a few, but having to be told by a girlfriend that you've been sticking way too close all evening certainly ranks up there.
It takes some effort, but generally I can suppress my autistic behaviour, and act like a normal human being - which is why it sucked incredibly hard to realise that I fail horrendously at it if I don't watch my every move.

That, and hearing the cat that's been a good friend for 7 years has terminal cancer. It must be said though that she did stubbornly and cheerfully outlive her 6 months prognosis by almost a year - a feat of which I'm weirdly proud.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I've had a pretty nice life actually... the only thing that's really crushed me was when my mum said 'I don't think you can feel emotion'. Or it may have been 'I think you're dead inside.' I can't remember.
I mean.... wait, what? What on earth gave her that impression? I'm a little quiet and I don't normally get worked up about stuff, but really? And this is coming from someone who has never been anything but absolutley behind me 100%, all the time. I guess I was probably more shocked than crushed, and then I started thinking 'What if she's right?'. Then I realised that I was getting angry about it. Duh.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I was always made fun of as a kid even at a really young age for being weaker then every other guy in my class and I have a slight learning disability that put me in the GLD class for 3 years of elementary school. I was also always made fun of for being prettier then most of the girls and weak and dumb to boot. My mother broke the news to me after all the torment and asking why I was so uuuuh ... quirky? she told me I was a female favored hermaphrodite made into a boy. It lead to many, many confusing years of my life.