The Most Dangerous Woman in Videogames - Anita Sarkeesian

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
What others have said: She might have very crude methods or poor examples, but all the flames she is getting is only helping spread her message, which is GOOD. We need more analysis of women in videogame, and the sexism present in the industry (such as the all-make focus-group or the insane fanservice inserted pretty much everywhere).

Parts of me wonder if she actually did this intentionally..

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Mid Boss said:
Story said:
Just curious, is there anything in the Kickstarter terms that say that she must use that money donated to her to create what she claimed to in the first place?

If I remember correctly, she receive in the ballpark of $158, 000 in total. She said she was going to make 12 videos in total, I think? If we assume she must use those funds on the videos directly, it's safe to assume that each of those videos should cost in the around about $13, 000 each, right?

Why do her videos look nothing like what you would expect from a video worth $13,000? Why do they look like they have barely more production value than the videos she was previously making for free?

Where has she been getting the money to travel around the world doing lectures in person on feminism. Are the faculties paying her way or is she using the money donated to her for her videos on other things?

If the latter is true, then would that be breaking the terms of Kickstarter?

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Honestly you just have to watch Thunderf00t's responses to her videos on youtube to see it.
The biggest point that he makes is Anita, starts out with her conclusion and then does the research.

She has used a bunch of immature gamers to propel her career despite herself not being worth much note. She is part of the new wave feminists that in general hate men and think men are terrible for finding women sexy.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
I believe shes a self righteous prick who taken things too seriously but hey that's her right to do so, I just don't watch her stuff.

see the way people like this truly fail is when they are ignored by those they offend I mean Christ shes gotten more free press then anyone due to people who are offended by her. Ignore the person you hate and they will disappear from the internet save for the odd article.

Now Bob I respect your opinions on films, may not always agree with them but respect them, but every time you talk about videogames you seem to go out of your way to offend people. I don't know if this is on purpose or if it just comes across that way by the way you are critical of them but I thought you should know. Now I hope you can fix this problem (usually like your articles) but if you cant im most likely going to stay away from your non-movie reviews and articles.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Who the fuck is Anita Sarkeesian and why the fuck should I give a damn?

For the record, I do know who she is and what she's about. I know of the controversy surrounding her Femi-Nazi (as I've often heard them called) views on the gaming industry. Personally I've never seen any of her videos because quite honestly I really don't care what her opinion on things are. Seems to me that she's just doing the exact same thing that Ann Coulter is doing: raising a lot of noise and ruckus just to cause controversy and therefor get people talking about her. The old saying "there's no such thing as bad press" holds true, as if you get people talking about you - for good or bad - your name is getting spread around and people are likely to be drawn to you. Be it because they're just bobbing heads going "Uh-huh! Uh-huh! I agree with everything you say!" or people that watch just so they have an excuse to get pissed off and rage about everything you say. Personally, I don't care about what she has to say because in the end it's just another random person with another random criticism about another random thing.

So again: "Who the fuck is Anita Sarkeesian and why the fuck should I give a damn?"

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Houseman said:
I've yet to see any well-written article against what she's doing. As far as I know, the only hate comes from the "little people" of the internet.

If there is one, I'd be interested in reading it.
I hope videos will suffice, because I've got two of them right here:
Also "little people" is cute.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I really don't think much of Anita. She's not a BAD commentator...but she's not great either. She's just a boiler plate academic, which really makes me realize how starved we are for intelligent people talking about issues like this. Her goal is fine, but she's not the best person to represent it, though she's all we have.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
VanQ said:
Mid Boss said:
Story said:
Just curious, is there anything in the Kickstarter terms that say that she must use that money donated to her to create what she claimed to in the first place?

If I remember correctly, she receive in the ballpark of $158, 000 in total. She said she was going to make 12 videos in total, I think? If we assume she must use those funds on the videos directly, it's safe to assume that each of those videos should cost in the around about $13, 000 each, right?

Why do her videos look nothing like what you would expect from a video worth $13,000? Why do they look like they have barely more production value than the videos she was previously making for free?

Where has she been getting the money to travel around the world doing lectures in person on feminism. Are the faculties paying her way or is she using the money donated to her for her videos on other things?

You know, people keep attacking her for not using the money on her videos. I actually have no idea how you would spend 160,000 dollars making youtube vidoes! XD It's actually quite funny. I guess she could rent a studio, hire some musicians and artists, but... why? The only thing I could think of would be to fly around meeting the people who made these games and talking to them about it.

Well, my college, did pay for people to fly out and lecture. I can't say if that's how they all work.

As for Kickstarter's rules for how to use the money... I honestly don't know. Surely someone here is familiar with kickstarter and can enlighten us both.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
What is it about Anita Sarkeesian that makes people really really stupid? I mean seriously, it seems like people are just bitching about her to ***** and have paid no attention to anything shes said. "Oh a woman is talking about vida james, RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE BURN STAKE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!"

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
Mid Boss said:
tangoprime said:
I can't speak for others, but I found the whole raising that much money thing for the videos that were put out (very slowly I might add) a bit shady. I mean, I can't remember what the initial goal was, but per the Kickstarter page still up, she's raised >$150,000 to make youtube videos in what looks like a spare room in her house, on top of the fact that she already had a fairly trafficked youtube channel (again, IIRC). To me, it felt like someone saying they want to create a small homeless shelter, but in order to do so, they absolutely need to raise 650,000,000 USD, before they'll get started, despite the fact that they've already been running soup kitchens.
She asked for 6,000. She got 160,000 because ass holes from all over the internet swarmed on her like killer bees which martyred her and made her famous.

Yes, they tried to strike her down and all it did was make her more powerful than they could possibly imagine.

She never asked for 160,000. That's just what people gave her because she was receiving death and rape threats. Say what you want about her videos now. But at that time no one knew who the hell she was so those death and rape threats had nothing to do with whether or not she was right or wrong, but ENTIRELY because people wanted her to shut her stupid female jew mouth and stop "ruining video games" for us straight, white, males.

Sadly, small inconvenient facts like that her foul mouthed attackers were the ones that made her that fortune doesn't stop them from accusing her of getting that much intentionally. Because to realize their own fault would require self awareness and, I dare say, logic beyond that of screeching monkey and they're just not capable of it.
This. Coupled with the fact that those who "criticize" her do so not by refuting her points, but by resorting to ad hominem, says everything that needs to be said.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Mid Boss said:
You know, people keep attacking her for not using the money on her videos. I actually have no idea how you would spend 160,000 dollars making youtube vidoes! XD It's actually quite funny. I guess she could rent a studio, hire some musicians and artists, but... why? The only thing I could think of would be to fly around meeting the people who made these games and talking to them about it.

Well, my college, did pay for people to fly out and lecture. I can't say if that's how they all work.

As for Kickstarter's rules for how to use the money... I honestly don't know. Surely someone here is familiar with kickstarter and can enlighten us both.
That's an absolutely, fan-bloody-tastic idea right there. It's one that would be interesting. It is something that would give her work credit. It is something that would be worth the money donated by people for her kickstarter.

So why has she just continued making her videos like she always did? I wholly understand that she only asked for $6000. But why isn't she taking advantage of the amazing amount she was given to deliver amazing content to those that were willing to give her money?

Where is the rest of that money going? Why do her backers not give a shit?

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Fantastic article Bob. I hope Anita and other people like her do have an impact on gaming culture in the long term because it sure as fuck needs to change. Seems like even the escapist forums aren't immune to ignorant fools claiming she's just another critic clamoring for attention when that is so very very untrue. We need more people like Anita pointing out what is wrong with gaming and how to improve it so we can have more variety, better experiences and allow more and more people to accept and enjoy the hobby so that some day it truly is just another part of life for EVERYONE.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
I'm just going to say that I disagree that she's doing more good than harm. The lack of diversity in female characters was something talked about. It just wasn't some huge polarizing issue. I feel like she's poisoned the well, and that what could be discussion of the issue and those surrounding it has mostly become two circlejerks attacking each other.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
VanQ said:
Mid Boss said:
Story said:

I honestly don't know the answers to any of those Kickstarter related questions since I never used Kickstarter to fund a project. I would like to know though, I'm sure its in their Terms and Conditions.

As for why her videos don't look like they should be $13,000? Well, I would guess that a lot of those resources were put into equipment and research material like I said. Like maybe a new camera? Maybe she was able to hire help with her research? I don't know for sure. But what I can guess is that it would be very hard her to produce these videos for how much money she got, she's bound to have some leftover. I would personally like her to use that money to forward her research in different ways. Perhaps examine other forms of media? But didn't donate to her, so I don't have any say really.

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
It's nice you like her and all Bob, but as another person here already said

VanQ said:
I will take Anita seriously when she presents more than her opinion. She claims to use her videos and points in academic environments and claims they were intended for use in academia.
I watch her videos, but all I see is cherry picking and opinions, and she's gonna need more than that to convince me. Still, I like that she ignited the flames of the "Let's talk about female characters in video games!" discussion that's going on recently.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
synobal said:
Honestly you just have to what Thunderf00t's responses to her videos on youtube to see it. She has used a bunch of immature gamers to propel her career despite herself not being worth much note.

She is part of the new wave feminists that in general hate men and think men are terrible for finding women sexy.
You know this is puzzling. I wonder whether she intentionally decided to advertise her project on 4chan (out of all possible places) to gain publicity. It's kind of a stupid question she can't be that naive.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Truly a new level of equality will be reached because a few videos with a wikipedia skim level of research and completely biased opinion were made by somebody who does not play video games. The many many videos debunking her claims were more researched and of course those people made them for free. Or maybe just for the profit they receive from the video which Anita no doubt also received. Claiming that her work is of academic standard i.e produces actual evidence and sources for the above is a bad joke.

The funny thing is, I don't think she will really impact the industry at all. When all possible money has been harvested she will move back to claiming children's toys were made with the specific malicious intent of teaching the completely organised and unified oppression of women 'subconsciously' maybe.