the most fun you had in video games

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
tippy2k2 said:
For whatever reason I like to imagine you do the same to real life kids playing football in the park. The visual amuses me XD

OT: I can't possibly choose, but the first one I thought of because I played it just recently was the lava goop level in pianta village from Mario sunshine.

The atmosphere/aesthetic of that game in general was amazing, but I like the lava level in particular because you had to think outside the box. It was also a "shit just got real" moment when you first start and realize your F.L.U.D.D. is gone.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Renting out Shining force 2 and, due to the limited time I had access to it, playing the whole game in one sitting.
Yes, I know.
Renting it out again would have been more sensible, but money was tight and any progress I'd made wouldn't be kept over if I got it a week later when my allowance had topped back up.

It was exhausting and, given how young I was, quite difficult but so, so satisfying watching that last screen with daylight peeking over the top of the houses on the other side of the street.

It's not perhaps the most fun on it's own, but it's certainly the most elated I felt

Most outright, laugh your ass off fun was playing a tank based predecessor to worms in an IT studies room on a break.
Mostly from the insults that were flying back and forth.

t.tocs

May 23, 2008
It's not the most fun ever, but the most recent memory of a ton of fun in a game.

I'm having a blast playing Diablo 3 on the Xbox One. The gameplay is perfectly suited for a couch with a controller and I spent the better part of the weekend playing a game I already played a ton on the PC and having a blast doing so.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
MechWarrior 4 - The campaign was ok, but not a patch on 3 IMO. The real fun was to be had in multiplayer. Nothing makes you feel like a bad ass more than taking out an Atlas (100 tone assault Mech) with a Cougar (35 ton light Mech) when one alpha strike from the Atlas can turn your lil tin can mech into a smoking pile of twisted metal. Or losing a bid and facing off against a more heavily armed and armored clan only to smash them with better tactics and teamwork. Sticking a NARC beacon to an enemy Mech shouting fire and watching as your teams LRM's home in on it from all around the map. Oh and piloting my custom Mad Cat [footnote]She had x6 Clan ER Large Lasers x2 Clan LRM 20's and x2 Clan LRM 10's, and no heat sinks...yeah 'Heat Level Critical, auto shutdown initiated'...'Shutdown Overridden' was the soundtrack to meany a game for me but with careful heat management and good fire control she could strip the armoiur off a Dashi in about 15 seconds[/footnote]

Fallout New Vegas - lots of C4 + Detonator = meany lol's

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
MHR said:
Note though that I generally didn't gank people that were grey in level compared to me. It was always green or higher with occasional exceptions if they were in one of the guilds that loved to hate me. I like to think I'm a better class of troll. Any idiot can gank a grey, camp a corpse, build a fire and teabag. Do something unique.
Near the end of Wrath, I was leveling an alt in Hellfire Peninsula one day and these two low-70s decided they wanted to lol at the weak little 59. It was during the Halloween event and at that time the cast time for the event broomstick was still instantaneous (I'm not sure if they've changed that again or not, actually), so you could pull a Druid move and hop on it even while falling through the air.

I say this because the response I took to their constant ganking of my lowbie was to switch over to my level 80 Warlock and fly out there, and then I started dotting them up while they tried flying up out of my range, but I'd just hop on the broomstick, continue to chase them up and smack more dots on them, and then hope I got out of combat again before I hit the ground so I could recast the broomstick. XD

OT: I wouldn't want to turn this thread into a discussion about WoW, so... in recent memory, I'll have to go with Kirby Triple Deluxe. That game was just too adorable. I went through and beat it a second time on the King Dedede mode after I finished the main game, and that's saying something since I tend to rarely finish games a first time these days.

Otherwise, man, I've played so many games over the years that I wouldn't even know where to begin. Five and a half years with WoW alone gives me enough stories to completely fill a page of this thread.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
The most fun I have in video games is every time I play Unreal Tournament 1-3 or Quake 3-Live. Most of my games are like this and makes you feel like your a God among your fellow gamers.

[http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/justin_bennett2/media/2014-08-21_00002_zps45d2e64d.jpg.html]

Being good in games like this means you will win the majority of your games by a lot. Lesser skilled players are forced to deal with whatever you say or do. They don't have a matchmaking system that protects them from getting owned. A social hierarchy becomes formed and being good becomes similar to being rich IRL.

Mudokon

Jun 24, 2013
I remeber playing pokemon Red and how i enjoyed these games with my friends, then pokemon stadium came out and we could transfer the very same pokemon we trained into glorious 3D on N64 that was just awesome, it was like adding tones of addiction to an allready established addiction :p

Super smash bros and mario kart for N64 tons of fun there too on a 4 split screen.
the first time i played super mario 64, gatherin with friends trying to collect all 120 stars.
the first time i played Banjo kazooie and Ocarina of time when i first got the mastersword in my hands.
playing crash bandicoot 1,2,3 trying to collect all the secret gemstones.
pro evolution tournaments on ps2 with firends.
Tekken 3, tag, 4 trying to prove who is the most badass player there with their combo techniques.
the first time i played shenmue, i just couldnt believe the cinematics have the same graphics with the actual game.

Croc legend of the gobbos... those who remember will understand.
Spyro the Dragon i remeber that my father liked to watch me while i was playing and he tried to help me on what to do next and he even played it too.

Abe's oddysey and exoddus trying to save all the Mudokons, what a game.
that time when i first played the real 3D Sonic game, Sonic the headgehog for Dreamcast and sonic 2 of course.
Final Fantasy X lets get all Aeons..
little big adventure 1 and 2.

Red Dead Redemption a wester style open world game with cowboys horses n guns, truly amazing.
Asura's Wrath i love it, its like playing an anime - god of war with japanese mythology and awesome graphics.
L.A Noire those facial expressions made my jaw drop on the floor and i tottaly loved it.

Zelda windwaker i rememer that i was like damn i expected realistic graphics but when i played it for the first time then i shut my mouth cause it was like that instead of tv you were playing through a painting, the aesthetics and the graphics are so beautiful.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Just Cause 2, hands down.

There's a not-subtle joy in rigging up the government property of entire villages with remote bombs, driving your motorbike just outside the village and hitting the button.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
WC3 tower defenses and Unreal Tournament with friends on a home LAN.
DotA / Dota 2.
Playing Pokemon Red for the first time on my own Game Boy.
Playing Sonic on my brand new Sega Masters System.
First games on C64 were pretty good too.
Those are my best experiences. Much of it is novelty, but the top is made of fun with friend or just genious gameplay.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I've had so much fun with video games over the years, it's really hard to narrow down the most fun. Tie Fighter on the PC definitely ranks up there, though. I remember when I got it at the store and telling my dad that I was going to go home and play it until I threw up. While I didn't throw up at any point and definitely didn't play that long, I was still quickly enraptured by the game and got through the entire campaign in just a few days.

Another one would be Bushido Blade, playing the kill 100 guys survival mode. Starts out really simple with some stupid ninjas who come right at you and die easily, but once you got into the 70's or so, things started getting really tense, especially if you had already taken some damage, injuring your arm or leg. I played that mode a lot in college on my roommates PS.

Starcraft matches with my college roommate also rank up there. Us vs. a number of AI opponents was always a good time.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
team fortress 2 with my mates

Guild wars with my mates

Smash bro multiplayer

yeah, there's a theme here.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Probably Resident Evil 4. That game is just so amazingly fun to me. There are other games I really like but none had this kind of lasting appeal. I think contrary to other games that improved with every new iteration, this is the one game that has never really been surpassed.

I mean, this game is like 10 years old now but every time I replay it I'm still having fun and it still feels fresh. For me that's just a hallmark of perfection.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Recently, whenever I've booted up Titanfall. I dunno why but it's one of the few FPSes I'm good at on PC and it's always a blast to play, even when I'm joining an American server to play with friends and I have a ping of 150+. :p

Before that though, it used to be WWE 2007. I played a shit ton of the GM mode on that when I was younger.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
stroopwafel said:
Probably Resident Evil 4. That game is just so amazingly fun to me. There are other games I really like but none had this kind of lasting appeal. I think contrary to other games that improved with every new iteration, this is the one game that has never really been surpassed.

I mean, this game is like 10 years old now but every time I replay it I'm still having fun and it still feels fresh. For me that's just a hallmark of perfection.
True that, one of the few games I keep revisiting over and over. The others woule be Shadow of the Colossus and Okami.

midgetspoot

Apr 30, 2013
Turning Smash Bros Melee into a non-alcoholic drinking game at band camp with 5 of my friends when we were like 16.
Everytime someone died they had to pause the game and everyone had to take a drink of pop.

Its been almost 10 years and we still talk about it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
A small list:

- Playing One Finger Death Punch for the first time. DAT ADRENALINE BRO HOLY SHIT.

- A solid match of TF2 sniping.

- A solid match of UT99, back when I still played that. Man I'm looking forward to Toxikk.

- Exploring WoW's various areas for the first time, hearing that wonderful music, etc.

- Combining Saint Row 2's Ezzzy 105 FM with the hilarious ragdoll physics. Why did they take that station out in the later games?!

- Halo: Combat Evolved's finale.

- Super Smash Bros. Melee multiplayer.

- The Last Of Us and its perfect pacing. From relaxed exploring in a gorgeous world to those tense, perfect combat moments.

- Actually catching 'em all in Pokemon Red.

- Drunk/drunk-ish Mario Party. I need more of that.

- Going topside for the first few times in Metro 2033.

- Epic moments in Battlefield Bad Company 2.

- Seeing your huge city work all smooth in The Settlers: Rise of an Empire. Very Zen.

- Perfecting a city in Simcity 3000, all while listening to that smooooooth jazz soundtrack.

- Going through The Walking Dead S01 and S02 for the first time, though your definition of 'fun' might not count here.

- Exploring in the Metroid Prime games.

- Pulling that flawless combo or stealth run in Batman: Arkham Asylum.

- Warhammer: Online got real awesome when the PvP really got rolling.

That's all I can think of right now. Less RPG moments than I expected.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Saints Row 2: Jumping the gorge.

In SR2, there is a mountain. I forget what it's called, but it's just next to the campus. Near its peak is a great gorge, with the broken remnants of a wooden bridge forming a ramp on each side. Any time I get bored, I will fire up SR2, acquire a likely-looking vehicle, and attempt to jump that gorge. Yeah. My garage has almost no conventional street-racing cars or Ferrari-knockoffs, because in SR2, I tend to judge each vehicle on one thing and one thing only:

Can I jump the gorge with this?
[small](And if so, how many times?)[/small]

EDIT - honorable mention: Driving cars off Mount Chiliad in GTA:SA and GTA V. As a general rule: Give me a sandbox game with cars and a mountain in it, and I'm a happy camper!

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Danny Dowling said:
i don't condone any of this in any way. actually i think this is pretty bad and i'd probably not mention it too often if i was you.
Twas mostly in good fun. The death glitch in the pit wasn't intended, I never even guessed it would do that and nobody ever saw or expected anything like that before. It was just intended to injure people's ankles and make walking slow and annoying. So, a few people started to blame the GMs for doing it because there was no way the slope of the hole could get so steep with the maximum digging skill of any player around. Lots of spectators that were there in Wurm thought the pits were hilarious and the most interesting player spectacle to happen for a while. Seeing people freak out again over its unexpected return in the exact same glitched spot was perfect.

It's silly people like you that think anything like this is pretty bad. I never really ganked greys or locked down questing towns or hard corpse camped or anything. It was legitimate PvP. Some of those guilds would message me that they were respectful of the skill and tenacity I put into it, sometimes obviously using translators to convert from chinese to english to say it as a collective opinion.

But there are always sourpusses. Gives something for the rest of us to laugh at.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
MHR said:
Danny Dowling said:
i don't condone any of this in any way. actually i think this is pretty bad and i'd probably not mention it too often if i was you.
Twas mostly in good fun. The death glitch in the pit wasn't intended, I never even guessed it would do that and nobody ever saw or expected anything like that before. It was just intended to injure people's ankles and make walking slow and annoying. So, a few people started to blame the GMs for doing it because there was no way the slope of the hole could get so steep with the maximum digging skill of any player around. Lots of spectators that were there in Wurm thought the pits were hilarious and the most interesting player spectacle to happen for a while. Seeing people freak out again over its unexpected return in the exact same glitched spot was perfect.

It's silly people like you that think anything like this is pretty bad. I never really ganked greys or locked down questing towns or hard corpse camped or anything. It was legitimate PvP. Some of those guilds would message me that they were respectful of the skill and tenacity I put into it, sometimes obviously using translators to convert from chinese to english to say it as a collective opinion.

But there are always sourpusses. Gives something for the rest of us to laugh at.
or, just maybe, you messed up the gaming experience for a majority of people and that's not cool. seems funny, but it's just not my kind of funny. you can call me a sourpuss if that makes you feel better though.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
lol okay, but all I did was dig a single hole. It was everyone else's hilarious inattention and subsequent outrage that caused such a calamity. That's what made it so hilarious. If what I did was wall off the front doors to people's houses (possible to do) so they couldn't get anywhere or spread too much sand and created desert so it was hard to walk and nothing could grow (also possible, and people did it, and easy to get away with) then I'd agree that's dumb and pointless. It's not about ruining people's times or hacking or blowing up everyone's stuff in minecraft. It's pranks, and I loved it. Sourpusses though.

Edit: Perhaps I haven't been clear. The big bad hole wasn't some kind of super weapon or exploit people were helpless against. Anyone with dirt or a shovel was capable of filling the hole or digging those people out of it. The people trapped in the hole could have also waited a couple of minutes to heal before they could climb up efficiently instead of being impatient, getting up only part of the way, and falling back down injuring themselves again. All those people decided instead to either gawk and lol or go back down it to get their stuff back, and surprise, get stuck down there the same way they did before. It was really laziness and inattention that caused them enough frustration to get a GM involved. You're free to disagree, but it really was quite funny.