The most 'No fair!' moment in a video game?

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
Hitman: Codename 47 had some unforgiving game mechanic where there is no save/load system. You can only restart missions if you mess up. It apparently just saves your previous set-up so at least you don't have to buy your weapons again, but consider this scenario:

You have to infiltrate a restaurant-mansion of 4 distinct levels, each hundreds of feet across, and kill a very, very well-protected Triad leader. That doesn't seem very bad until you realize that the slightest mistake makes you a dead man because there are henchmen everywhere with Uzi's and AK's ready to burst your supple, shaven ass. This is also not so bad until you learn the hard way that even after an hour and a half of straight, perfect execution, you can still glitch or swing at the wrong instance, giving yourself and your time away to the power of restart.

Next you get to the Columbia missions, which are anywhere from 4-8 hours of goddamnit.

I couldn't get the Grub achievement for H-L2: EP2, because the few I missed were in a few cavern intrances at a dead end past the antlion guard. If you make it to the caverns, which is not that hard, you have to escape back the way you came, and guess who's waiting to maul your brains into DNA glop? I tried, tried, and tried, and still couldn't make it past that insect. I probably won't until a mod comes out that introduces some sort of insecticide weapon... Oh, right! You can't kill it. I forgot. Great fun.

I did the Little Rocketman, though I agree it was atrocious and frustrating at times, because there's no place to put the thing in the car without the gnome sliding out at the first slight change of velocity. That train part where you're chased by the bomb-dropping chopper? Yeah...

The Poet

Jan 2, 2008
Turok is driving me insane. First when I kill the damn Trex and are left in the jungle until night knocked out and wake with only a bow and knife and seeing 2 big dinos in the distance. You then pick up the shotgun you find next to a tree and remember your achievement says no shotguns. You then swear and move on. It took me a while and I could never win. In the end I found a knocked over tree and just ran through it and found the enterance to the base. The second is when you have to kill the sea serpent. The fight first off is hard but right when I am about to win she goes under to change attack. I know I can dodge whatever she throws at me and double check the guide. "She will either use her tenticles or throw rocks at you" it says. I sit near the fire vent and wait. She resurfaces and grabs two spikes from the ceiling and impales me with them in about 3 seconds before I even get the chance to yell out "WHAT THE FU-".

Oh! And Paul Rodriguez challenge in skate. That took a while until I eventually got it.

Double Oh! When I played the Darkness I had just left hell for the first time. I was relieved of being back in the reel world and looked at the guide and it said chapter 2 complete. I am thrown on my ass onto a subway station and wait a second. I wait about 3 minutes and it still doesn't say achievement unlocked. I sigh and think it must be further... I continued on for another 2 hours and got nothing. I still haven't gotten it and said that that game had the worst achievements due to the fact that I never could unlock them (It took about 1 hour for the achievements "Get Darkness Arm" and "Get Darkness Guns" to activate).

Feb 13, 2008
BonsaiK said:
I never found it. You can't sell them. I even tried ejecting out of my ship, but a trumble would follow me in my escape pod, and then the whole process would begin again!
Trumble, or rather Tribbles, have a high body heat, being mammals; so you just sun skim a couple of times and listen to the little squeaks of the dying. Fun, Educational; and if you have Fuel Scoops, Rewarding.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
come to think of it, just about any old skool shmup has mega unfair levels. R-Type anyone?

ultra_v_89

Feb 7, 2008
In God of War I, when you just get pandora's box after a solid couple of hours spent in the bloody castle, then Eros senses your success and throws a freaking pillar to the other side of the continent and nails you to the door while harpies nick your box! That was bullshit! That was MY GOD DAMN BOX!!! GET YOUR OWN! Seemed unfair to me.

Esmoreit

Oct 10, 2007
Smash bros melee, playing the 15 min. man melee with donkey kong, bitchslapping the ground untill my thumbs get sore. With only two minutes on the clock and a life's percentage of 2 minutes, a bob-omb spawns right in front of my clapping.

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
4 pages and not one person has mentioned Mr. Dream from Mike Tyson's Punchout? I know I end up feeling like an old man at 23, but the one punch KO was one of the cheapest things on the planet after how long it would take to get to him.

My current 'no fair' gripe is the Slash boss battle on Hard in GH3. He doesn't miss a note when you don't use a powerup on him and seems to recover way too fast. Definitely hit the point with that game where it's stopped being fun to play.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
brabz said:
4 pages and not one person has mentioned Mr. Dream from Mike Tyson's Punchout? I know I end up feeling like an old man at 23, but the one punch KO was one of the cheapest things on the planet.
You should be ashamed.

Mr. Dream was in the infinitely inferior "Punch Out". Mike Tyson was the boss of "Mike Tyson's Punch Out".

I beat him once, but I *really* doubt I could do it now.

- J

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
tiredinnuendo said:
brabz said:
4 pages and not one person has mentioned Mr. Dream from Mike Tyson's Punchout? I know I end up feeling like an old man at 23, but the one punch KO was one of the cheapest things on the planet.
You should be ashamed.

Mr. Dream was in the infinitely inferior "Punch Out". Mike Tyson was the boss of "Mike Tyson's Punch Out".

I beat him once, but I *really* doubt I could do it now.

- J
My mistake, I always get those boss names confused because they all spawn and copy one another from the original arcade game and the slight alterations/sequels.

It was still disgustingly difficult though. I eventually beat it on an emulator when I was 13 or 14, but the gap in time and the fact that it plagued and bothered me that long was the central theme, lol.

StevieC

Jan 9, 2008
Any PC or Mac based card game played against the computer because the computer can see what cards you have but you can't see what cards it has. Plus, this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ztCxpBmXuA

and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGrpGuDD0_Y

CeilingNinja

Feb 20, 2008
Guilty Gear XX - Story Mode, Dizzy. Trying to get the second ending by beating God I-No. Other God I-No battles are easy, because your characters have Instant Kills, but not Dizzy. Other God I-No battles are fine cause if you lose, you can just restart the battle, but not Dizzy. Lose to God I-No as Dizzy and you have to start over... from the beginning of the story mode... with a character who is difficult to use properly and has no Instant Kill.

I've probably gone through Dizzy's story mode around fifteen times just trying to get that done.

SimpleReally

Feb 4, 2008
The most unfair "scripted" move i saw was when fighting Lynx for the 1st time in chrono cross.
My party beat him without much difficulty but then he used an artifact and switched bodies with the hero, and immediately after i find myself in his body getting my ass handed to me by my party.

Also psycho mantis was unfair in a cool way

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Mine's gotta be one of these two -
Firstly, the end boss of the Haunted Mine quest in Runescape. I put on Melee Protection (Total immunity to physical attacks) and waded in...But then a few seconds later, everything went haywire - he starts possessing loads of random crap from the room and making it smash into me, which counted as a ranged attack. Eventually i panicked and teleported out with my tail between my legs.
Or, Alternatively...A Hero's Farewell on Advance Wars:Dark Conflict. Huge enemy base, a sodding fence of electricity across the battlefeild and genuinely clever AI that starts building Antiairs the second i even CAPTURE an airport...To paraphrase Yhatzee paraphrasing Oscar Wilde, NO CHANCE, YOU UNREASONABLE DICKS.

AlexanderAstartes

Afternoon Delight
Jan 1, 2008
Bomberman Touch! The goddamn bomb rolling minigame. I just can't move my hand clockwise! I blame my righthandedness.

Also, the miraculously large armies AI enemies manage to amass within seconds on BFME and BFME 2. Thats just a poor way to get around shoddy AI.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
AlexanderAstartes said:
Also, the miraculously large armies AI enemies manage to amass within seconds on BFME and BFME 2. Thats just a poor way to get around shoddy AI.
yea i noticed that too. made like 2 units in a skirmish then like 6 enemy units come in and nuke me. actually they seem to have infinite money. Speaking of which last level of the evil campaign in BFME2 an army of eagles THEN the army of the dead along with like 10 heroes - complete without a hero dying when galadriel 1 hit kill suicide nukes everything nearby...as if

My most recent unfair moment would be cod4 playing "no fighting in the war room" on veteran. the game refused to checkpoint after clearing a room so i got sent back miles (easy part though) then when it DID checkpoint i was 2 feet away from a guy with a shotgun. so to clear my checkpoint alone i needed to shoot him in like 1/3 of a sec each time. after getting past the shotgun rapist i reached bullet bum rape corridor. guys who with an inch of space can kill you in 2 bullets and you cant see them. though i did finally get it (hurrah) and completed every level on veteran...except mile high club that can go choke on a knife.

and for people saying one shot one kill the defence part is hard. behind the bumper cars is 2 trees lie behind them with an AK or similar gun and pick of anyone who turns the corner. they CANT hit you (i dont think) and you are out of grenade range. camp then get the retard mcmillan on chopper tada

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
Spartanspork said:
In Call of Duty 4, i was shooting someone in the head with a G3 and they turn around and kill me with a pistol. its sucked. it happens all the time now.
Oh, I know that feeling very well indeed.

Also, Ninja Gaiden Black. All of it.