The most spine-chilling, bricks-shatting moment in gaming

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
Wait. People think Ravenholm was actually scary? I thought it was just a self-perpetuating joke all these years.

Really, people? Really?
Well, many people don't like horror games and such, I am for example a real wimp when it comes to horror games/movies, so I haven't played any at all.

Therefore my scariest moment would be Ravenholm, by process of elimination ^^

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Gorilla Gunk said:
The sharks in the Resident Evil remake.

I have a serious shark phobia.
The sharks? Nothing to say about the other new goodies like crimson heads and Lisa Trevor? Well if you have a phobia that's understandable, but the crimson heads were what took the piss out of me. Damn things not staying dead when they're supposed to.

Little2Raph

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe this is a bit lame, but the bit in Doom 3 when you first see your reflection in the bathroom mirror. Just about shat myself and emptied half a clip into the wall. . .

gruggins

Apr 24, 2011
probably the kennel area in Penumbra: black plauge
dear god. i was terefied the entire time i was there. mainly because the music playing there incorperated bits of the "enemy nearby" music from the previous game.

plus that *THING* hiding in the walls that only attacks when the lights are out.
and the room full of bloody handprints all about knee-high up the walls
and that dog that turns out to be a hallucination
and that hallway were the lights shut on and off, leaving you exposed

now feel like just going somewhere to think happy thoughts

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Silent hill 2: You're in town early on and that straight jacket monster slithers out from under a vehicle in front of you, as well as the prison level when you knock on a bathroom stall door and walk away ownly to hear "RAAAWR *THUMP*". Nearly pissed myself and felt myself go numb both times.

Doom 3 actually creeped me out too, the atmospheric sound was always there and I had to force myself to charge into an area so I could shotgun imps as they spawned

I'm so scared of the type of game Fatal Frame is that I won't even play the damn things after seeing a ghost come at you in a crawlspace

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
As someone who doesn't get the appeal of horror games at all, mine would be After Montignac in Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis. It's where you're stu... actually, no, I shouldn't explain it because if you have the slightest desire to try it, you should go in knowing nothing about it. And it is definitely worth it. Modern shooter games can't hold a candle to the campaign in general, and that mission in particular was... wow.

Never have I cowered under a bush feaing for my life to the extent that I did in that level. I never even used the readily available rocket launcher, for fear that I would miss and bring all hell down on my head...

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Oh the Regenerators in RE4 were fucking scary. Their breathing is really creepy and they always wait for you to come to them. And apparently there were thermal goggles to show you where their weak spots were... Yet i never found them.

You have the bizarre scenario where i'm just pumping shotgun shells into various places of their bodies and hope i hit the right spots.

In fact I was so scared by their bullshit (I can't stand enemies in horror games that refuse to die) that when you go into a freezer that holds a load of them in cryo storage and you get a button that turns off the freezer I point blank refused, hit the NO option and promptly walked the fuck out.

That was where the goggles were I suppose. Fuckin' RE puzzle logic

1-up

May 12, 2011
The original Silent Hill - going through the hospital was intense as hell and one of the most tense experiences I'd ever experienced. Then I found out the hospital had a basement.

Had to turn off the game and psyche myself up for 20 minutes to move on.

robmastaflex

Jun 15, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Oh the Regenerators in RE4 were fucking scary. Their breathing is really creepy and they always wait for you to come to them. And apparently there were thermal goggles to show you where their weak spots were... Yet i never found them.

You have the bizarre scenario where i'm just pumping shotgun shells into various places of their bodies and hope i hit the right spots.

In fact I was so scared by their bullshit (I can't stand enemies in horror games that refuse to die) that when you go into a freezer that holds a load of them in cryo storage and you get a button that turns off the freezer I point blank refused, hit the NO option and promptly walked the fuck out.

That was where the goggles were I suppose. Fuckin' RE puzzle logic
Yeah, the thermal scope for the sniper rifle is in there. Though despite the creepy breathing, they are fairly easy to dispatch with the scope in tow. Unless you take off their legs. Then they do this weird crawl that's faster than their walk...

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty much every minute of Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

And also some of these scenes from Bioshock.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Anything Amnesia-related or most horror games. FPS + Darkness = I no longer want to play. My imagination kills me more than what exists.
Also, anything doll/mannequin-related. F**king uncanny valley.

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
Personnaly Ravenholm was pretty intense first time through. The one I look back on fondly was watching my brother playing Sonic 2. The final boss music freaked me out so much I was actually hiding behind the sofa. I was about 3 at the time though.

dills2

Aug 18, 2010
The binding of isaac "Jesus love me" song on 10th ending will chill you to the bone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCeiDlkHz6Y

Furyaki12

Jul 20, 2009
Nurb said:
I'm so scared of the type of game Fatal Frame is that I won't even play the damn things after seeing a ghost come at you in a crawlspace

Goddammit, I almost dropped my laptop watching that...I've seen a couple LPs of the Fatal Frames (because there's no way in hell I'm playing them myself) and don't recall that one. Imagine if they disabled pausing when an enemy is nearby...

The only horror games I've played were the first Silent Hill and about 15 minutes of Amnesia. The first bits of Silent Hill were bad enough with seemingly empty rooms having windows and tables shattering as soon as you turned your back to leave, but then crap like this happens.

Controller dropped. TV turned off. Deep breaths taken.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
Sounds freak me out a lot more than sight. So naturally the big multiple head crab zombies in HL2 as well as episode 1 and 2 freaked me out so badly. I remember on the highway part of the second half life, there was this building with the stairs blasted out. and I heard this heavy breathing noise coming from upstairs. So I take my gravity gun, build some stairs, look around and theres nothing. I turn around and one of these big lads is staring at me right in the face. Panic ensued

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Doom 64 was terrifying at the time, and the soundtrack created such an atmosphere; I was afraid to move on at times.

For example this is still creepy to this day.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Ravenholm was when you started to run out of ammo.

But mainly Amnesia. God damn, the whole of Amnesia is terrifying, I couldn't even play it it in full screened.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
My would be when you encounter the Regenerator in Resident Evil 4. The sound they made haunt me as you cannot see them as the sound echoes everywhere.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
For me it was the doll factory in Condemned 2, I HATE dolls and that level was so hard for me.
Also the sewer level in Dark Forces, the main reason I hate swimming or water stages in almost any video game.
Oh and Resident Evil 4 when you fight those Regenerators always made me run through it the stages screaming.

Not entirely scary but just creeped me out were the Centaurs from Fallout 3.