The most underrated video game ever

pyrrhic victory

Jun 9, 2011
For me, that game would be Hotel Dusk: Room 215. It has an excellent story, immersive gameplay, and it is easily my favorite video game for the DS. I even consider it to be a contender for my personal 2007 GOTY.

So, how about you? What is a game that you think other people completely missed the brilliance of?

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Nier Perhaps the only perfect game ever made. All the lfaws in it were done on purpose! The game is the most brilliant parody/satire of video games ever made. Even though there is boring parts it is obvious satire! I mean throughout the game the characters make fun of things like stupid pointless sidequests, the forced text adventure game, the stupid puzzles in one dungeon, and hte game probably has probably the greatest plot twist in any video game that totally adds a different dimension to the main character and the enemies he has been fighting. The game is the best of all possible parodies.

Also, Alpha Protocol was a sweet fun game but I think other people are going to say that.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
That's a pretty heavy question to ask...

...IMO, Metro 2033. It got good reviews, but many gamers haven't given it one look.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I can't claim it to be the most underrated out of all underrated games, but Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy was a really fun game, and I never see anyone talk about it.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Spirit Engine 2 and Otogi.

Spirit Engine 2 is an RPG with absolutely inspired combat and music, and above-average setting/writing/art. It's about 10 hours long with high replayability. It got rave reviews everywhere that reviewed it. And it's free. I have no idea why everyone isn't playing it.

Otogi and Otogi 2 are amazingly atmospheric hack-and-slash games. They've got this weird sort of sad meditative vibe to them that I've yet to experience in another game. Good replayability, awesome music and visuals, and destructo-scenery from back in the days before destructo-scenery was a thing.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
underrated? hmm... i guess i'll go with the fear effect series. fantastic games, but i'm sure noone alive today's even heard of them.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Cave Story.

Awesome game (and it's FREE). I was really surprised when Yahtzee mentioned it in one of his strips.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
I'm going to go with Sacrifice. Funny, interesting gameplay, cool characters...

Otherwise, maybe Zork, or at least the games that followed Zork, not the first one.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
LobsterFeng said:
I can't claim it to be the most underrated out of all underrated games, but Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy was a really fun game, and I never see anyone talk about it.
I remember Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast being one of the best games I'd ever played at the time.

Shame I got stuck on the third level, and had to cheat my ass off to get further. Dismembering light-sabers, bad-ass!

OT: I can't think of a single game I've played and really enjoyed that didn't get lots of attention. There was a time I would've said Beyond Good & Evil, but apparently everyone else loves that game too.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
The Guilty Gear series never got the attention in the gaming community that it deserved. A real shame.

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
RUINER ACTUAL said:
That's a pretty heavy question to ask...

...IMO, Metro 2033. It got good reviews, but many gamers haven't given it one look.
Damn you, ninja!
But anyway, I'm saying Metro 2033 as well. I love the game and was shocked to find out not many people had played it.

Elsarild

Oct 26, 2009
I have no idea if this is underrated or even that good anymore, but I have no found anyone (never went looking mind you) who played it besides me and my brother, but I did hear a mention of it at nintendo E3 i believe.

Syphon Filter

Edit: on further invesigation that was at Sony's E3 show.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Warlords Battlecry II [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warlords_Battlecry_II]

The single greatest RTS in the history of history, and yet I know of only 2 people besides me who had played it. I strongly urge anyone who loves RTS's to give it a shot. 12 unique races, with different unit/building sets for each, and a role-playing element for the characters' Hero. Brilliant, brilliant game.

Trippin tacos

Nov 26, 2010
Earth defense force 2017, the video game equivalent of the "so bad it's good" B movie.
The only reason it's underrated is because it's impossible to find, and therefore not many people have heard of it.

PekoponTAS

Mar 7, 2009
Can't think of any one MOST underrated game, but I can list off a bunch of good, underrated games I've played.

Shantae
Touch Detective
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Drill Dozer
Gotcha Force
Rocket Knight Adventures
Ivy the Kiwi?
Boing! Docomodake DS
NyxQuest Kindred Spirits
Pulseman
Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble
Big Bang Mini
Uniracers
Lady Sia
Trax
Mighty Flip Champs
9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
Star Wars: Jedi Outcast. Waaaay better than Teh Force Unleashed.

Also Iji.. A great underrated platformer. Plus it's free to boot!

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Hotel Dusk is a great game, but for me the most underrated of all is... Arx Fatalis.
It's a great game and on Steam for like 1.50. I don't see why more people don't play it.

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
Contact on the DS. I think I've said this before though.

Besides if not for that game I would have no avatar.