The Mummy

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
What happens when you have one of the worst screenwriters in Hollywood, Alex Kurtzman, try to direct a Universal monster movie for the first time along with trying desperately to make a cinematic universe, but kinda fail? You get this movie.

Then again the Universal and the Japanese monster movies have used a shared universe way before Marvel made it a thing to trend nowadays.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
The real problem is that Tom Cruise attempted to do what Brendan Fraser didn't, which was 'take it seriously'. It's too soon for a reboot, and a little ham on my mummy movie is preferred.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
FalloutJack said:
The real problem is that Tom Cruise attempted to do what Brendan Fraser didn't, which was 'take it seriously'.
Aren't actors obliged to act how the directors want them to? If something takes itself too seriously, it's usually down to the writing (or at times, the directing style).

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Hawki said:
FalloutJack said:
The real problem is that Tom Cruise attempted to do what Brendan Fraser didn't, which was 'take it seriously'.
Aren't actors obliged to act how the directors want them to? If something takes itself too seriously, it's usually down to the writing (or at times, the directing style).
This IS Tom Cruise we're talking about. I'm not sure that really works. Mind you, you do make the point that the script had something to do with it. The Brendan Fraser movies were an adventure, a campy adventure at that.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
FalloutJack said:
The real problem is that Tom Cruise attempted to do what Brendan Fraser didn't, which was 'take it seriously'. It's too soon for a reboot, and a little ham on my mummy movie is preferred.
Not entirely. Also 9 years after the last one isn't really too soon for a reboot.

As for Tom Cruise, he was fine though there were times he was kinda annoying. Not as much as his friend played by Jake Johnson. The problem was the writing and direction.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
One of the writers was David Koepp so that explains some of the awful dialogue. Now the thing is that he's kinda a hit or miss in my opinion. He's written screenplays that I like such as Jurassic Park or Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, but when it comes to dialogue, he's kinda difficult.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Natemans said:
FalloutJack said:
Not entirely. Also 9 years after the last one isn't really too soon for a reboot.
It really, really is. I'd say twenty years at a minimum should pass before someone even thinks of rebooting something.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
Hawki said:
FalloutJack said:
I think that only applies to less famous actors. I wouldn't be surprised if they would change the script, if Tom Cruise asked them to do that. Besides the characters he plays in movies seem to be very similar to each other. I think he has reached a point in his fame, where he isn't hired to act a character, he is hired to be Tom Cruise and to act in a way that people associate with him.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
I've always loved the Brendan Fraser version of The Mummy. I looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and was surprised at how badly it ranked but I wasn't dismayed. It's a darned great campy movie. Not scary, but it wasn't meant to be.

Example:
Winston: So, what's your little problem got to do with His Majesty's Royal Air Corps?
Rick: Not a damn thing.
Winston: Is it dangerous?
Rick: Well, you probably won't live through it.
Winston: By Jove, do you really think so?
Jonathan: Well, everybody else we've bumped into has died. Why not you?
Winston: What's the challenge, then?
Rick: Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world.
Winston: Ha-HA! Winston Havlock at your service, sir!
That kind of dialogue made The Mummy (1999) pure gold for me and my friends and family.

By contrast I won't be seeing Tom Cruise's movie in the theaters. Heck, I may not buy it even when it ends up in Walmart's $5 DVD bin--which will probably happen inside of a year.

Funny quotes from The Mummy (1999) [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120616/quotes]

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
FalloutJack said:
Hawki said:
FalloutJack said:
This IS Tom Cruise we're talking about. I'm not sure that really works. Mind you, you do make the point that the script had something to do with it. The Brendan Fraser movies were an adventure, a campy adventure at that.
Does Tom Cruise even act? I thought he literally plays the same character in every movie he's in.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Dalisclock said:
FalloutJack said:
Hawki said:
FalloutJack said:
Does Tom Cruise even act? I thought he literally plays the same character in every movie he's in.

The muppet can run though lol

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Natemans said:
Oh, I disagree. When was the last iteration of The Mummy franchise before Brendan Fraser? Was it in black-and-white?

Dalisclock said:
Mostly, that's the case. Exceptions would probably include Tropic Thunder, maybe a couple of others, but you are essentially correct.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Brendan Fraiser's Mummy scared me more than this new one:

I'll agree with you on that.
Probably because the badguy IS a Walking Corpse/Mummy, and not some weird alternative fuckery that is this:

And what is with the 2 Eye Pupils seriously? I mean they should have just made a movie about the Tomb Kings of Warhammer:

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Dalisclock said:
Vanilla Sky and Interview with the Vampire are good movies and he owns his roles in them. He's pretty creepy in both Eyes Wide Shut and Collateral, so I'd say yes. I don't like his early military service movies, but I guess those count aswell.

He's sorta like Nicolas Cage tbh, got some great performances in good movies, and horrible B ones aswell. Although Cage is more memetic when he's bad.

His recent works are pretty meh I agree, but I don't hold it against him.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Imre Csete said:
Dalisclock said:
Vanilla Sky and Interview with the Vampire are good movies and he owns his roles in them. He's pretty creepy in both Eyes Wide Shut and Collateral, so I'd say yes. I don't like his early military service movies, but I guess those count aswell.

He's sorta like Nicolas Cage tbh, got some great performances in good movies, and horrible B ones aswell. Although Cage is more memetic when he's bad.

His recent works are pretty meh I agree, but I don't hold it against him.
Difference is Tom Cruise has more good movies than bad some of which were really good movies:

Top Gun
Born on the 4th of July
A Few Good Men
Mission Impossible
Jerry Maguire
Minority Report
Eyes Wide Shut
The Last Samurai
War of the Worlds (imo)
Edge of Tomorrow/Live. Die. Repeat.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I think the biggest crime by far is that Sofia's character was underused. Her character was the whole reason I was actually interested in this movie.

I didn't really care that much for Tom Cruise. I didn't care about Dr. Jekyll. (at least for this movie) I wanted to see this new Mummy in all her sexy unholy brilliance. Her motivations. What she was going to do.

Instead we get a Guardians of the Galaxy/Marvel universe wannabe. Are you kidding?

Dec 10, 2012
Basement Cat said:
I've always loved the Brendan Fraser version of The Mummy. I looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and was surprised at how badly it ranked but I wasn't dismayed. It's a darned great campy movie. Not scary, but it wasn't meant to be.

Example:
Winston: So, what's your little problem got to do with His Majesty's Royal Air Corps?
Rick: Not a damn thing.
Winston: Is it dangerous?
Rick: Well, you probably won't live through it.
Winston: By Jove, do you really think so?
Jonathan: Well, everybody else we've bumped into has died. Why not you?
Winston: What's the challenge, then?
Rick: Rescue the damsel in distress, kill the bad guy, save the world.
Winston: Ha-HA! Winston Havlock at your service, sir!
That kind of dialogue made The Mummy (1999) pure gold for me and my friends and family.

By contrast I won't be seeing Tom Cruise's movie in the theaters. Heck, I may not buy it even when it ends up in Walmart's $5 DVD bin--which will probably happen inside of a year.

Funny quotes from The Mummy (1999) [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120616/quotes]
Yeah, I'm always surprised that The Mummy 1999 wasn't well reviewed and isn't remembered fondly by many people. I always liked it as a teenager, and when I rewatched it again this week I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's one of the better examples of a b-movie sensibility in a major production that just really gets what makes for a fun cheesy adventure. Even The Mummy Returns is fun if a lot more convoluted and somewhat stupider.