The Needles: The Russians Are Coming!

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
AuntyEthel post=6.73414.798472 said:
The next big bad guys should be New Zealanders, for absolutely no reason at all.
cough**sheep**cough... Excuse me, I've got a cold.

Gormourn post=6.73414.796170 said:
Now if only i had russian letters on this keyboard...
ElephantGuts post=6.73414.795848 said:
You have no idea how much I wish I could do that.
I'll let you guys in on a little secret [http://babelfish.yahoo.com/]...камрады.

adrenalinq

Oct 9, 2008
I live in Russia and play same games as you do. Most gamers here just make fun of storylines with evil russians. The only thing I hate is terrible voice of nonrussian speaks russian. I cant really tell why russian gamers enjoy games that are all about killing their own countrymen. Maybe there is some good point in previous post that russians actually hate russians. Maybe because we are lazy.

I can tell a story that explains about how everything is done in Russia. Near my window there is a road. It was impossible to ride it because of its terrible condition. One day workers came and layed fresh and flat asphalt. Two days later they destroyed it and made a big hole to replace old water-pipes. After a week new and fresh asphalt was layed but 3 days later it was destroyed again to lay some cables or something like that. The road was again in previous terrible condition but nobody ever came to fix it... That is what I hate about my country and wanna live in civilized city like Tokyo or Hong Kong.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The great thing about Russians, the thing that makes them such eternally awesome bad guys, is that while we stereotype them, we do so because we're kind of awed and impressed by them, and a little bit scared of them. It's quite fair to say we respect them. There have been plenty of more topical foes that have made themselves available in recent years - Iran, Venezuela, North Korea - but they're really just pissant dictatorships, ruled by crazy dudes with noisy but outmoded armies. They don't have staying power. Take Libya as an example: Back in the 80s, Qadawadayadamafi was Public Enemy Number One, they were blowing up airliners and the US was bombing Tripoli, but ultimately, what happened? Well... nothing. It all kinda blew over, everything is essentially normalized and the only remarkable part is that the same crazy bastard who started all the trouble is still in power.

In gamer terms, Korea, Iran, etc., are expansion packs. They're add-ons. DLC. They're good, they have merit, but they don't last long and they require external software to run. Russia, on the other hand, they're the god-damned Collector's Edition.

As far as what games Russians play, you might be interested in reading what here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/4923-Stalin-vs-Martians-The-Alexander-Shcherbakov-Interview].

Ardghal

Sep 30, 2008
Malygris post=6.73414.800591 said:
The great thing about Russians, the thing that makes them such eternally awesome bad guys, is that while we stereotype them, we do so because we're kind of awed and impressed by them, and a little bit scared of them.
I don't think I could have said it any better myself.

That's the thing about the Soviet Union, the fact that made them so terrifying, that made it seem that they were only a snap of their fingers away from destroying America: Because the Soviet Union got shi*t done.

It was the Soviet Union that took the full brunt of the seemingly undefeatable Nazis War machine, and then broke its spin in the city of Stalingrad and on the Fields of Kursk. The Great Patriotic War killed more people than all of the other fronts combined, and left a wake of economic and military destruction all across Russia and the Soviet Union; and yet, somehow, the people of the Soviet Union pushed back and toppled the greatest militarized Empire the world has ever seen.

The will of the Soviet Union was monlothic, immovable, and seemed to be forged from steel. They set these seemingly impossible military, economic, cultural, and military goals for themselves, and then they exceeded them. It was the Russians who sent the first unmanned and manned Satilets into space, the Russians who were seemnigly made up of an endless number of bright eyed young youths who had pledged themselves, heart and soul, to the continued existence and expansion of the Soviet Union.

Call Stalin and the Kremlin of 39-55 anything you want, corrupt, nepotistic, petulant, inefficient, insane even, but they knew how to get things done.

Not to mention that they made so d*mn catchy music. (The Sacred War [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy8mxh0P63M] still gets me, right here)

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
stompy post=6.73414.799510 said:
The next big bad guys should be New Zealanders, for absolutely no reason at all.
cough**sheep**cough... Excuse me, I've got a cold.

Gormourn post=6.73414.796170 said:
Now if only i had russian letters on this keyboard...
ElephantGuts post=6.73414.795848 said:
You have no idea how much I wish I could do that.
I'll let you guys in on a little secret [http://babelfish.yahoo.com/]...êàìðàäû.
It's not as fun that way. I want to be able to do it myself. Or atleast read what the translator is giving me.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Yeah, they must be up to something...

Problem is the accent is so hilarious everyone who played would keep cracking up and could never take the game seriously.

Very good article by the way Malygris, and I think you've hit the nail right on the head.

I'm a bit of a history student (read: 3 of my 5 senior school subjects are history courses) and I find it really fascinating that the Russians seem to be re-emerging. Being born post Cold-War, fighting Russians, in video games or otherwise, has this sense of getting you involved in a part of history you missed.

Maybe its also got something to do with the fact that despite getting very close and them being around for years no one really clashed with the Ruskies, and perhaps that could explain why, the Germans were real, but we actually fought them so they get boring fast. We never fought Stormtroopers, but they don't exist and therfore don't have the same vein of realism as the other two.

Russians on the other hand, have got the perfect balance of being realistic but not real enough to have to relate to actual battles or encounters.

Just my thoughts, but yes, very good article.

Satki

Dec 29, 2007
fix-the-spade post=6.73414.794923 said:
Then again, I can never see a game about mowing down hapless US Marines selling, not in the US at any rate...
Umm... How about half life?

Rock4ever

Dec 13, 2009
Such a good words I has read there... Thanks. I even don't want to nuke your homes anymore. For now. Maybe.
Russians are russians - we don't give a damn about all this "villain" stuff, we just know, we are great nation.
P.S. But even so - "Modern Warfare 2" had quite unpleasant moments... What happened with Infinity ward since CoD2? Russians were good there. Even if they had ridiculous accent. "Thisiz a potatoes, comrrrad comissarrr... Rrr..."
P.P.S. It reminds me one funny story with localization of "Cold Fear". Tom Hansen spokes english, russians spokes "russian" with all this laugable "rrr" and wrong graves. When this game was localized, Tom was revoised by russian actor, but "russian" sailors stays "russians". So, Tomas was more russian, than whole crew of the ship...