The New Black Gold and Brothers of The Creed

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Normandy vs Commander Shepherd, the battle over songs that should be included as Easter eggs in Mass Effect 3, assuming they fix up the plot to a point where it deserves it.

TheApatheticDespot

Sep 5, 2011
As someone who was impelled to play Deus Ex for the first time a while back because of The New Black Gold, I have to say that it evokes the spirit of Deus Ex better than Deus Ex does. I wouldn't have enjoyed the game half as much without that song.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Some of the negative criticisms are just downright ridiculous. That being said, I gush about New Black Gold to whoever I can. I looove that song. Brilliant job with that one.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I absolutely loved the very quiet calm verses followed by the awesome chorus, but I did feel the chorus itself needed something else there, maybe some sweet guitar riff. The layering in the second half of the song was amazing too, just awesome.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
albinoterrorist said:
Your voice is just too melodic for screaming metal, I feel.
Yeah, he has too much of a bluesy feel. He could probably pull off old-school Sabbath/Maiden style metal.

And yeah, I have no idea why the hell people saw the KKK thing. Overly-sensitive people gonna see issues where there aren't any, I guess.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I really don't get why people have hated on "Brothers of the Creed". Personally i thought it was pretty damn awesome and captured the spirit of the games as it should. And i totally agree that the scream towards the end was beautiful ;P

As for the New Black Gold there's not really much to say. It's one of those songs were everything just seems to work. The lyrics in particular, and you really shouldn't care what people say about your voice. I'm pretty sure you know it best yourself after some years as a musician to see what context it might work in.

For future songs to talk about i'd like to see "Zombie Holiday" added in with "Redemption Blues". I'm curious what convinced you to make the game swap back and forth between sounds the way it did :)

chantzzzzz

Nov 7, 2008
Many thanks for answering my question! Anyway, you said that you do songs for games that are popular at the moment, but if you could indulge yourself in doing a song about a game just because you wanted to, what would that be?

Also, would still like to hear about "Fire In Your Hole," which has to be the most awkward song of yours to ask about :\

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
chantzzzzz said:
Many thanks for answering my question! Anyway, you said that you do songs for games that are popular at the moment, but if you could indulge yourself in doing a song about a game just because you wanted to, what would that be?
I'm planning one soon, I'm gonna leave it a surprise for now though ;)

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Just wanted to pop in and say I LOVE the Strapping reference here.
Oddly enough, listening to Far Beyond Metal right now. :D

Anyway, uh... sorry, nothing else to contribute here.
Just thought that was awesome ^_^

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Ya know, it's odd. Everyone is a music critic and everyone can say "omg lyrics, omg tone, omg tempo, omg ". But I hardly seen anyone say the details of the matter.

I must admit that the Brothers of the Creed song did catch me offguard the initial few seconds and made me wonder if my headset was plugged in correctly. But after listening to it a few times I got the hint. You were trying something different then usuall weren't you? I liked the references in the song and it set the mood just perfect before the presstrip to Utrecht where AC:Revelations was beeing held.

The New Black Gold. Hrm. The slow lyrics combined with the faster paced rythmic are a nice contradiction to eachother. Reminds me, I should complete that game but....

Skyrim... you know?
ANyway keep making them vids and don't stop experimenting and trying something -else-
Contemplating purchasing a few albums

Darth IB

Apr 7, 2010
Well, that explains so much. Every time Brothers of the Creed plays on my ipod I wonder to myself "where did that line go?" Sometimes people are just too sensitive with these things.

Anyway. Keep up the great work; Please do a Space Marine song; your comment about the music industry completely made my day; And for next column, maybe Age of the Dragon? It has a special place in my heart because it was the first of your songs I heard, and because its closeness to my favourite genre.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Julianking93 said:
Strapping reference? Where dude? I seem to have forgotten if I did that! lol

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Julianking93 said:
Oh shit, really? I thought The New Black Gold was referencing it XD
From now on, it shall be ^_^

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Julianking93 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Julianking93 said:
Oh shit, really? I thought The New Black Gold was referencing it XD
From now on, it shall be ^_^
Aha... lol no it isn't but now that you mention it YEAH IT TOTALLY IS

Vetinarii

Aug 17, 2009
I hope that the original version of Brothers of the Creed is available... I'm not buying it if it's not... nobody dicks with songs I like and expects me to buy it. Not even the writers. (Same goes for films, looking at you George Lucas)

Big hearts for the songs... I love them all.

albinoterrorist said:
Moving out of the 60's back to rational discussion, however, I frankly enjoyed both the songs.
More than Zombie Holiday and The Grind, certainly.

Your voice is just too melodic for screaming metal, I feel.
Nice backhanded complement there... I for one like both of them and The Grind is currently my favourite song to listen to at the moment. I don't even like Gears of War, in fact I detest it as a game.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
It's funny, I told my mum about the lyric from your song and even though she isn't a gamer the first thing she thought wasn't KKK, but rather AC, so it just shows that some people really are too petty. They're both great songs Gav, and it's cool that we get to hear about what's gone into making them :).

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
For Brothers of the Creed, it never occurred to me to think of the KKK. I always thought of, you know, Altair in his white robes.

I loved that song. I didn't really know there was any hate for it.

I wish I could give better criticism beyond whether I liked it or not. I don't have any ear for tempo and stuff like that beyond how it made me feel at the moment. I have nothing but positives for you in that category. Especially when it's from a game that I played/watched.

I just always wondered how you were able to write, record, perfect each song in two weeks. That was the most incredible part for me, at least.