The New Shiny Escapist

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Is there any chance of an actual poll? Preferably made by someone actually working for the Escapist, as I believe more people would feel obliged to participate. It would probably be helpful even if it only consisted of the question "did you like the old site better". I seem to remember someone made one early on, but it got merged with another thread, and the poll evaporated.
Alternatively, how about another questionnaire like the one we had in November?

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Well. My immediate reaction to the change was that the site became uglier, but easier to use. After using it for a few weeks, I can say that I overestimated the usability improvements. The site used to be better in every way before the update: it was nicer, it was better organized, and it was more responsive.

CrashTest

Feb 11, 2009
Sassafrass said:
CrashTest said:
Is there a convenient way to browse for new content any more? I miss the video links down the side, and I'd really like to be able to do something similar. Again, not rhetorical. I've been manually navigating so far, but eventually everything but Zero Punctuation is going to drop off my "things I can be bothered to search for" list...
...There is a video tab at the top of the page which, when hovered over, drops down a list of all the videos in alphabetical order. You then move your mouse cursor to the video series you want to watch and the newest video will be obvious to pick it.

Failing that, just go to the ZP page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation], bookmark it and return to it every Wednesday.
Thanks, but I meant a way to see who had new content without looking at the individual page. I used to follow four or five show on here because you could glance at the homepage to see if they'd updated. I don't want to have to click on all of them everyday just to see if there's anything new.

Jul 11, 2008
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.336823-Poll-The-Escapists-New-er-Format#13631342

So theres an actual functional poll asking whether you'd prefer changing the site back or not. Why note put up some votes since post count isn't impressing anyone.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Kron_the_mad said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.336823-Poll-The-Escapists-New-er-Format#13631342

So theres an actual functional poll asking whether you'd prefer changing the site back or not. Why note put up some votes since post count isn't impressing anyone.
Ah, thank you, I hadn't seen that thread.

Esta

Jan 2, 2008
I've been a lurker for quite a while, but I've been visiting the escapist for years (perhaps 6 to 7). I've always liked your guys layout a lot; very eye pleasing and straightforward. To be perfectly honest, you've pulled a Gawker. Kotaku had a GREAT site layout a year-ish ago before they mucked it all up. I respected the escapist for keeping it the same, and essentially "not fixing what isn't broken". The all around white background is hideous and I'm amazed that so many sites these days still abide by such a color scheme. The odds of the site being changed back to its superior layout are very slim, as a lot of time and money were invested in "changing" it, I'm sure. Just know that you changed your sites signature layout and its comfortable appearance to a cluttered, obsolete mess. IMO

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Hamhawk said:
Official Redesign Group? In other words. It is the Escapist Staff creating a new venue to discuss changes because there is too many complainers here. Why address complaints when you can ignore them instead? Bad form, this reminds me of AT&T or PG&E tactics for service.

In other news. still no apology or warning. It seems Staff is above the forum rules and regulations and ethical obligations.

Happy New Year.
Unfortunately, it's nothing new to this site. The lock any threads that openly discuss the rules as well, with a note telling the concerned parties to handle it in PMs or with the moderators group. They don't like it when their foibles are publicly exposed.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
M4t3us said:
Can we keep the black background after the protest is over? I like it!
Oh that would be fantastic! I just said on another topic that I'm loving this.

A question, to anyone in general, is Bob Kyuss stuck in some strange limbo? He seems to wander between getting warned and banned. Warned, banned, warned and now banned again... I am fairly baffled by this.

Hamhawk

Aug 31, 2009
That is good to hear.. at least they put their money where their mouth is. I wish that power hungry brash admin would be disciplined harshly and publicly for his mistreatment but I doubt that will happen.

I have already stopped coming here several times a day and have been averaging about 1-2 times a week and decreasing rapidly. I found other better sources of gaming news that actually care about the community they serve. They also are focuses specifically on videos and trailers.

Thank you for the years of news and service Escapist, however your current theme and admins are driving people away, like me.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Hey, I´m not sure when it changed, exactly, but menu text is actually nice and readable now. This is progress.

The new animated slideshow thing in the right column is pretty annoying, though.

PS: Ok, "nice and readable" was an exaggeration, but it does look less bad than it used to.

mandalorian2298

Nov 7, 2010
Seriously guys? Your next big step forward is to remove the Facebook comments from below the video a putting them...it doesn't matter where you put them because I sure as hell am not opening a new page just to look at the comments that you decide to make LESS accessible!!!

Since you guys are obviously determined to completely ruin this once amazing site, I suggest, as your next logical step, to make all the non Pub-club members fill out a quick survey every time they want to watch a video.

Unbelievable!