The New XIII: It's Not What You Think

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
Takes a quick look at the screenshots"

Oh so it's a pint and click adventure game, well i like that kind of games so this isint really a problem.

hidden object game.
Well fuck.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Couldn't they have just dropped the XIII? There is literally no need to associate this with the original XIII.
Ah but then it doesn't have brand recognition and in a publisher's eyes, no brand recognition = no sales. People don't like to buy things that are new. Everyone knows that!

OT: I never played XIII but even I can see how this just comes across as a big middle finger to the game's original audience and fan-base.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Xerosch said:
Wow, I'm very surprised how IPs are used. First classics are turned into shooters and once you decide to do a follow-up to a shooter it becomes a casual puzzler???

If this is the new trend I REALLY hope there will be no continuation of my favourite games from the 90s!
10 years from now on we'll start seeing CoD puzzle games and Battlefield turn based RPGs. Meanwhile, FPS versions of FarmVille and chess will sell like hot bread.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
When I first saw the thread title I was scared it was going to be in reference to that Final Fantasy game that took over 5 hours to introduce the plot.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I wish I'd have put money on this. Everyone looks to make shooters, unless its a shooter with some semblance of character, at which point its turned into a casual game.

#logic

But anyway, I'm serious Escapist, hire me for £30 a week, forget quoting Michael Pachter because he's useless, and I'll predict this sort of stuff for you.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
No, no, you're doing it wrong! Everyone likes shooters and only shooters nowadays, so you take old franchises and turn them into shooters. Not the other way around!

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
It may be a fine game in it's own right but... well, bugger.

the old XIII was one of the last great arena bot-deathmatch games. And no regenerating health in sight! I still fire up that one trailer every now and then to listen to that groovy as hell music:

Wish I could get that music all on it's own...

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
XIII was amazing, not so sure about those screen pic's though!

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Developers are releasing old franchises reboots as FPS and everyones like "wah wah, Comercial Shooters. Wut happend to my gameplay. Why people sell out and make CoD and Halo clones. wah, wah!" Now the opposite has happened and you lot are complaining with the same passion. Make your minds up!

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
From my experience with them, I would blame the publishing industry as a whole. It's gotten to the point where they just look at sales charts and go 'Yeah. Neat idea you have there. Could you do it as... *looks at highest selling genre* a hidden objects game?'

Cheshire Cat

Sep 26, 2008
This is a real shame, I had a great time playing through the original cel-shaded FPS game and have hoped for a sequel for ages. When it was released it was a considerable breath of fresh air in the world of FPS gaming with it's comic style cutscenes and the awesome text sound effects. Ka-POW... WHAAAAM... BoOOOoooOOOm :-D

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
L10nH3ArT said:
Why would someone with a Myst picture, crap on an adventure game based on first glance?
Because its on an iPad - ergo its being designed for touch controls. It will have a PC version, but I'll bet you anything its a port - and the controls will be the same as the iPad, but done via the mouse.

Myst, particularly Riven, works because the player is immersed into a unique and fascinating world. They were great works of escapism, breaking with reality to craft a fantastic story of their own. The controls however were always the worst part of the games - and I don't see touchscreen controls doing anything to help with that.

Also this game appears to lack the depth of puzzles seen in Myst - the puzzles shown seem to be sliding tile and find the hidden thingie. I'd much rather go back and play Riven to summon the Wahrk, or play with the bathysphere, or hell just toy with the gravity defying water bits than play with sliding puzzles.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
It's sort of a reverse Syndicate; it began life as an FPS and then was turned into a... well, a hidden object game. Not quite the same thing after all, I suppose.
I thought Syndicate started as a real time tactical game. Or maybe that was part of the joke...