The next "Friday"? - Also, Haters.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I think the biggest problem with the term "hater" is that the stereotype suggests that the hater has no reason to dislike the subject. When you broadcast something to a public forum, everyone who sees/hears it at some point initially does so for a first time, not knowing whether they're going to like it or not. It's very likely to listen to a song from an artist you've previously never heard of and legitimately hate the way it sounds.

Granted there are people that adapt almost some sort of obsession with hating certain people, case in point Justin Beiber, whom I've heard about almost exclusively through people that don't like him, but it's quite easy to lump them in with people like me who will only talk about hating Justin Beiber's music if it's directly relevant to the conversation.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Cher Loyd is actually a really fucking talented, passionate singer when she wants to be.

I dunno what they were thinking putting her in the song in the OP, it's horrible autotune abusing nonsense.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:
LobsterFeng said:
Using "Haters Gonna Hate" as a comeback is something I don't really agree with though, because yeah it kind of does tell me that you're not willing to defend something you like.
Why should I have to defend it at all? You (in this hypothetical scenario) have already made up your mind that you dislike what I like. There is no benefit to holding a discussion over it especially since your end goal would be for it to end with me no longer liking what I like and thus conforming to your own opinion. While I would deeply like to do the same thing and get you to like what I like there's no point in it. The fact that you expect me to justify my tastes is initial evidence enough that you don't really care what I think to begin with and seek only to make me miserable by converting me from a state of enjoyment to the more negative dislike that you would be experiencing. Ergo, haters gonna hate. Discussion is pointless between the two of us is pointless from the start.
Well yeah, but when people say that do they really think that they're saying...that?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Stuff like "Friday" are only redeemed by awesome parodies like Brock's dub.

Internet, provide me an example for Cher Lloyd. As for haters?
DracoSuave said:
This covers it pretty well.

MiracleOfSound said:
Autotune is "in" apparently. When did crap become "in" again? But yeah, your example proves she actually has chops.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Redlin5 said:
Autotune is "in" apparently. When did crap become "in" again? But yeah, your example proves she actually has chops.
I cannot stand Autotune - argh - I hate it! The sound it makes on peoples' voices makes me want to puke out my ears.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Redlin5 said:
I cannot stand Autotune - argh - I hate it! The sound it makes on peoples' voices makes me want to puke out my ears.
Good thing we have musicians left who also know what's crap! XD

[sub]I'm okay for now, I spent the afternoon at the local Jazz festival listening to my dad play with his group. Nothing beats live music![/sub]

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Redlin5 said:
[sub]I'm okay for now, I spent the afternoon at the local Jazz festival listening to my dad play with his group. Nothing beats live music![/sub]
Your dad is a jazz musician?

Win.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Redlin5 said:
Stuff like "Friday" are only redeemed by awesome parodies like Brock's dub.

Wow, the "Everybody's Russian" bit caught me by surprise!

I managed to last in the OPs video until she started using the tune to "Darlin' Clementine". It's terribly written, soullessly generic pop garbage, so it'll have about 10 million views by the end of the week and make millions of dollars.

If I could go back in time, I think I would destroy autotune the day it was conceived. Of course, I'd be putting thousands of singers out of a job, but somebody has to be evil dammit....

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
LobsterFeng said:
KeyMaster45 said:
LobsterFeng said:
Using "Haters Gonna Hate" as a comeback is something I don't really agree with though, because yeah it kind of does tell me that you're not willing to defend something you like.
Why should I have to defend it at all? You (in this hypothetical scenario) have already made up your mind that you dislike what I like. There is no benefit to holding a discussion over it especially since your end goal would be for it to end with me no longer liking what I like and thus conforming to your own opinion. While I would deeply like to do the same thing and get you to like what I like there's no point in it. The fact that you expect me to justify my tastes is initial evidence enough that you don't really care what I think to begin with and seek only to make me miserable by converting me from a state of enjoyment to the more negative dislike that you would be experiencing. Ergo, haters gonna hate. Discussion is pointless between the two of us is pointless from the start.
Well yeah, but when people say that do they really think that they're saying...that?
Depends on the context in which it's used. For a more recent example lets look at the Brony fandom that's sweeping the internet like the Borg sweep through a sector of space.

If you've ever dove into one of the threads that pop up you'll immediately notice the two sides of the inevitable argument that pops up regardless of original topic. (usually said original topic is "What's with the MLP craze?" in my experience) There's the fans and the non-fans; each side breaking down into various sub-groups from there. We're talking about haters though so that falls under a sub-group of the non-fans.

I'm talking about the ones who won't even give the show a chance, won't listen to the arguments of the fans, or go so far as to insult the fans for liking the show. We of course see this particular sub-group no matter what division of fans and non-fans you are talking about. These are the haters and they indeed will do nothing more than hate. We've all been a hater at some point or another in our lives; arguably the most recent occurrence would be the outcry over the Twilight fandom from the nerd community. Many had no prior experience with the series and simply by outward appearances and word of mouth refused to even consider giving it a chance. (I'd be inclined to say they were right after sitting through the first film)

Regardless though this is the hater referenced in the phrase "haters gonna hate" and by accepted definition of the phrase amongst the general populous it is meant to serve as an acceptable response to those whom any form of attempted reasoning would have no discernible effect on. Thus it can be safely assumed that whomever uses the phrase understands it's meaning, whether that be subconsciously or consciously at the time of use.

This does not account for, however, the fact that some people are stupid and/or asshats. Thus leading to use of the phrase in situations where it is completely inappropriate to use. For instance in a discussion over the objective qualities of the three Transformer films. Should the phrase be used in a conversation such as that then not only does it make no sense but it is safe to assume the one who used it does not wish to admit they do not possess the knowledge or critical thinking skills necessary to discuss the objective qualities of the films at length; regardless of their personal opinion.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
She just reminds me of Nicki Minaj and, while I hate everything about her music, I don't hate her. Likewise, I don't hate this broad. Just hate the way she sounds.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Flying Dagger said:

What do you think of the video, and the concept of "haters"?
I think that your posting of the video on this forum proves that she is right about everything she says.

Haters = publicity.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Oh Jesus. Well, uh. I'm going to pretend that I didn't click play and just skip to the topic of haters.

Honestly, I think most of the value of the phrase "haters gonna hate" comes from when it is used ironically, particularly if it's used while trolling. As in:

"Dude. Tom. Stop looking at my screen. Not cool."

"Haters gonna hate."

When it's used seriously, though . . . while I agree that the actual concept behind the phrase is worthy of appreciation, I have yet to see someone use it like that. Usually, it's the "ignore a well-reasoned argument" usage.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Why the hell are you posting a thread about a shitty video to a shitty artist? The only reason 'Friday' became a hit was because of the hate and the internet. If people left it to die, she would have never gotten the money and 'fame.' Please don't create threads about bad artists, you're essentially funnelling more money to her. She,like many others, knows that hate is going to come her way. Along side with lot's of money.
BonsaiK said:
Flying Dagger said:

What do you think of the video, and the concept of "haters"?
I think that your posting of the video on this forum proves that she is right about everything she says.

Haters = publicity.
End thread here.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
Flying Dagger said:
What do you think of the video
Wasn't really my thing.

Flying Dagger said:
and the concept of "haters"?
"Haters" make millions and millions of dollars for the people they "hate". Both Justin Bieber and Rebecca Black are tremendous examples of this.

So they aren't really haters are they? They're more like lovers.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I find her's much more.. "watchable" than Friday.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
I just know I'm going to regret listening to this...

...I'll be damned, that actually wasn't bad. It's not what I'd call good music, but it's not bad. I'd call this standard pop music, on par with just about everything else in the genre these days. I'm sorry, but how are you even comparing this to RB? It's not nearly as bad.

Music is fine, decent beat, fairly intelligent lyrics, and she's not a vegetable in front of the camera. Not something I'd want in my Ipod, but it's just fine for a pop lover, I'd imagine. My only complaint is that she looks like a hippy half the time.

Honestly, things like these (Friday, My Jeans, Swagger Jagger), they're basically like Vanity published Fanfiction, only they cost more money. And really, there's nothing wrong with that. The only problem is that, unlike vanity publishing, which you generally only print enough to show friends and family and are awfully hard to get published professionally, MUSIC videos get distributed worldwide, for fucking free. Some of it's good, most of it's shit. And not everyone shares your tastes. So honestly, showing the whole world your amateur attempt at music? Not the smartest idea if you don't want it criticized, and harshly.

Throw a stick of dynamite, expect an explosion.

Always_Remain

Nov 23, 2009
Honestly, that is no where near as bad as "Friday"

Just kind of obnoxious. Just not my cup of horrible music.

EDIT: Did I really get ninja'd that bad? Ouch.