The Nostalrius Team Says Blizzard Wants Legacy Servers

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
anthony87 said:
You're playing a subscription based game without paying for it. That's piracy.

You win gold in the mental gymnastics or something?
Nope, sorry to say, but the EULA for CATA and the others don't prohibit connecting to non-Blizzard servers I'm afraid. That I pay nothing is also not a an issue since I am not actually utilizing Blizzard's services or resources. I am utilizing someone elses. Keep trying though. .

Kibeth41 said:
MonsterCrit said:
You may just be the kind of person that will accept any PR dribble that comes out of a company. Anyone who has a concept of PR knows exactly what Blizzard is doing here and knows that they really have no true intention of doing it. We'd love to do it but our hands are just so tied' puh-lease.
You do realize that this is literally all coming from Nostalrius, not from Blizzard, right?

Nostalrius and Blizzard spent 5 hours essentially comparing notes, and this is Nostalrius' perspective from the matter.
And you are claiming Nostalrius is above being financially motivated to say something?

But as said, Blizzard is free to prove me wrong but the wording is very telling of their true intent to those who know.. But hey, we'll see what happens no? IUn the mean while , I'll be enjoying myself

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
MonsterCrit said:
anthony87 said:

Nope, sorry to say, but the EULA for CATA and the others don't prohibit connecting to non-Blizzard servers I'm afraid. That I pay nothing is also not a an issue since I am not actually utilizing Blizzard's services or resources. I am utilizing someone elses. Keep trying though. .
Yes. You're utilizing someone elses resources.

Said resources that have come about due to piracy. Do try to keep up.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
anthony87 said:
MonsterCrit said:
anthony87 said:

Then that's between them and andd the provider of said resources. Again, nothing in the agreement prohibits me as the owner of the licensed software, from connecting to servers other than their own. I do so at my own risk, yadayada yada but beyond that.. nothing.

Have you ever heard of sopmeone getting banned from Blizzard's wow servers for using a private server? Don't think so. Granted it could happen but those who play on private servers generally don't go back to Blizzard.

So as said. I will do mine, and you do yours.. Nothing to argue here. You want to believe every word that comes out of someone's mouth. Fine, some of us have learned to believe only half what people say to the media.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
MonsterCrit said:
anthony87 said:
MonsterCrit said:
anthony87 said:

Then that's between them and andd the provider of said resources. Again, nothing in the agreement prohibits me as the owner of the licensed software, from connecting to servers other than their own. I do so at my own risk, yadayada yada but beyond that.. nothing.

Have you ever heard of sopmeone getting banned from Blizzard's wow servers for using a private server? Don't think so. Granted it could happen but those who play on private servers generally don't go back to Blizzard.

So as said. I will do mine, and you do yours.. Nothing to argue here. You want to believe every word that comes out of someone's mouth. Fine, some of us have learned to believe only half what people say to the media.
What does Blizzard banning people have to do with you endorsing video game piracy?

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
I've said it before back when I actually played WoW (I quit after the first few months of Pandaria), I'll say it again. I'm all for letting people re-experience trying to spend hours herding cats for 40 man AQ runs over and over, being regarded as a scrub if you're not loaded with all purple gear from there or 40 man Naxx and endless ganking of any poor son of a hog who ventures too close to Southshore.

Maybe they'll learn their lesson then.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Kibeth41 said:
MonsterCrit said:
And you are claiming Nostalrius is above being financially motivated to say something?

But as said, Blizzard is free to prove me wrong but the wording is very telling of their true intent to those who know.. But hey, we'll see what happens no? IUn the mean while , I'll be enjoying myself
So you argue that Blizzard are too cheap and greedy to run Legacy servers, but you then claim that they're loose enough to bribe pirate server hosts.

You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Evident at this point that you're fully aware that you're wrong, but you don't want to face the shame of admitting you're wrong.
In his case it may have been more a case of, 'we won't press charges if...', and even if it was bribery. As someone said, 40k per year on going plus server fees, or 5k to one guy . Kinda a black and white there.

Kibeth41 said:
Funny thing about video game piracy is that it's still piracy regardless of how you try to convince your actions to yourself.

I could illegally download Witcher 3, and try and rationalize it to myself using excuses such as "but someone else uploaded the torrent, so i'm just using their resources", or "have you ever REALLY seen anyone banned from using the regular Witcher for torrenting the Witcher?". But I don't, because I'm not a pirate.
You're downloading something you never paid for. I paid for CATa therefore.. I cannot pirate it. and the EULA does not prohibit connecting to non-blizzard servers. It's sort of a problem they created for themselves by selling the game and the subscription seperately.

Though, I imagine if I lacked the intelligence to realize that using the functions of a product while simultaneously avoiding payment of it is piracy, I'd probably also wear a tinfoil hat and scream that companies and everyone unaffiliated with the company are all greedy/paid off liars.
Except that the functions I am using are paid for. Maybe you wanna read the EULA sometime.. very enlightening. Basically the subscription and the software are seperate but co-dependent. If you need to look up that word, don't feel shame. Point is. I am not utilizing functions that I did not pay for when I purchased my Licensed copy of cata. I'm not getting MoP content or WoD content. Just the basic Cata content which I purchased.

Now, will you just let it rest, your Blizzacti pom-poms are starting the fall apart. As I said. You can continue to play the game you want, and I can continue to play the game I want. If the idea of me enjoying something that you have to pay for for free bugs you.. then , tough tits for you sonny jim.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Now I just hope it happens because even though like WOW now (even more so with Legion coming out)

I feel I completely missed out on a world that felt like a proper continuation of Warcraft 3. Especially I wanna see how the vanilla world looks like before a certain expansion changed up so much.

Personally I would like Wrath of the Lich King expansion because that was the xpac I was waiting for and I completely missed out on it.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Kibeth41 said:
MonsterCrit said:
Kibeth41 said:
MonsterCrit said:
-The game costs $15 a month. Dodging this cost and still using the product is piracy.
Nope, sorry, Subscription to play the game on Blizzard's server is $15 a month. Sort of like how I can keep using Norton or McAffee antivirus even after the subscription expires. Sure, I won't get any updates past the subscription end but I can still use the product. See how that works sugar.

-I'm mostly defending Nostalrius at this point. You apparently think they're evil too, in your paranoid little mind
Did i say anything against the guy? Nope, just that he might have been motivated financially to say things. That's not evil, that's life and business.

-Someone who is quick to rave about the decisions about a company with very little knowledge about their profession has no place throwing insults around.
I'm not Raving at blizzard. Dude, check a dictionary before you use new words. Seriously.

You assume that everyone in the games industry is some evil robot. Quite the contrary. Aside from a couple of execs in a couple of companies (who aren't a factor in any part of this), they're just people. Almost always quite friendly as well, and a lot more intelligent than you.
I never said they weere EVil, just that they were pulling a PR stunt, but the way you and others are acting I'm wondering if they don't have some sort of cult on the side. Seriously, how many posts before you earn that epic mount luv?

And when I'm talking about friendliness, I'm referring to one to one chitchat in a social gathering, not PR on the internet. Games developers have lives too.
I don't even know where that's coming from or what that has to do with anything. But as i said luv, you do yours I do mine. . Geez,

It's actually pretty sad. No matter what Blizzard, Nostalrius, or anyone else tells the mass playerbase, there're always the least intelligent fans frothing at the mouths, calling Blizzard greedy liars, and exclaiming about how they know more.
Query? DO I sound like Blizzard fan to you luv? No. A ranting fanboy is what *you* soundlike. I'm the guy that pretty much stepped away from that noise before I caught, whatever it is you and the others caught. At this point I seem to be the only one that knows better than to believe even half of what people say in media interviews.

Suddenly, Donald Trumps rise makes a lot of sense, given people like yourself.

Now what's say we drop this luv. Your understanding of the EULA is not quite as sound as you think. and right now, you're basically doing cartwheels and midair splits in your Blizzacti issued spanks. So how about you stop embarassing yourselves and just let the matter die. I'll admit I'm wrong when Blazzard actually proves me wrong , otherwise. I have a Raid to prep for this afternoon, on one of those servers that are you know, doing the thing that Blizzard says they want to but some how mysteriously cannot. If they wanted to, it could be done. The reason they don't is because as far as they see it, it works against their financiial interests. I suppose when that Subscription base of there dips below 5mil they'll start actually working on that, changing their revenue model from selling subscriptions to players to selling opereating licenses to server admins.

of course by that time most folks won't give a rats ass about WoW.
Your goalposts have changed once again, just FYI. Going to give you this chance to read back on your comments and reflect on your ever changing arguments. The amount of problems and lack of substance in your points is really an indication that you don't truly believe in your own logic anymore, and that you're simply arguing because you don't want to admit that you're wrong.

This all comes back to one of my original points once again. No matter what Blizzard, Nostalrius, or anyone else tells the mass playerbase, there're always fans frothing at the mouths, calling Blizzard greedy liars, and exclaiming about how they know more.
Are you still talking? God, are they paying you overtime or something? Give it a rest already. I've already said, and most with more than three braincells know, something isn't adding up.

YOu can't prove they're telling the truth and I can't prove they're lying. So lets call it a day. You keep forking cash over to BlizzActi, I'll continue, not forking my money over to BlizzActi. Just make sure they pay you in money, not WoWTime.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
MonsterCrit said:
anthony87 said:
MonsterCrit said:
I'll continue, partaking in video game piracy.
Blizzard paid me to fix that for you.
Ammended to comply with disclosure requirements. You're Welcome.

Now you're free to not live in a world of delusions and conspiracy theories .
How very kind of you.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Kibeth41 said:
MonsterCrit said:
Are you still talking? God, are they paying you overtime or something? Give it a rest already. I've already said, and most with more than three braincells know, something isn't adding up.

YOu can't prove they're telling the truth and I can't prove they're lying. So lets call it a day. You keep forking cash over to BlizzActi, I'll continue, not forking my money over to BlizzActi. Just make sure they pay you in money, not WoWTime.
The amount of problems in your points and decision to flat-out resort to ad hominem attacks is really an indication that you don't truly believe in your own logic anymore, and that you're simply arguing because you don't want to admit that you're wrong.
What surprises me is that some people can't even be bothered to actually read the EULA. Sigh. No one ever does. There is nothing in the Software EULA nor the Subscription ToS that prohibits you from connecting or using the software on non-Blizzard hosted servers.

The software's Eula is seperate from the Subscription Terms of Service because.. and this may surprise you. They are two seperate products. You can buy WoW without a Bnet account and install in without one and you don't need to have the software isntalled to create a bnet account or buy a subscription.

THe short of it is. A man can't rob himself. I can't steal something I have a recipt for. That's sort of a fundamental of cunsumer law. When Blizzard chose to sell the software and the subscription seperately they opened the door to the software being used without their subscription service. I'm thinking they just didn't expect anyone would be able to reverse engineer things to the point of creating their own servers and never thought to tighten that up.

The worst is that the EULA says that doing so voids any warranty and may put the user at risk.. So far the only thing it's put me at risk of is having more money to spend on Steam, GoG and origin every month. I can live with this., and it's something BlizzActi will have to live with as well since neither their ToS, or EULA supercede the laws of my country, or the consumer protections provided thereby.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Kibeth41 said:
MonsterCrit said:
Kibeth41 said:
MonsterCrit said:

The amount of problems in your points and decision to flat-out resort to ad hominem attacks is really an indication that you don't truly believe in your own logic anymore, and that you're simply arguing because you don't want to admit that you're wrong.
What surprises me is that some people can't even be bothered to actually read the EULA. Sigh. No one ever does. There is nothing in the Software EULA nor the Subscription ToS that prohibits you from connecting or using the software on non-Blizzard hosted servers.

The software's Eula is seperate from the Subscription Terms of Service because.. and this may surprise you. They are two seperate products. You can buy WoW without a Bnet account and install in without one and you don't need to have the software isntalled to create a bnet account or buy a subscription.

THe short of it is. A man can't rob himself. I can't steal something I have a recipt for. That's sort of a fundamental of cunsumer law. When Blizzard chose to sell the software and the subscription seperately they opened the door to the software being used without their subscription service. I'm thinking they just didn't expect anyone would be able to reverse engineer things to the point of creating their own servers and never thought to tighten that up.

The worst is that the EULA says that doing so voids any warranty and may put the user at risk.. So far the only thing it's put me at risk of is having more money to spend on Steam, GoG and origin every month. I can live with this., and it's something BlizzActi will have to live with as well since neither their ToS, or EULA supercede the laws of my country, or the consumer protections provided thereby.
As I said... you need to go back and reread your points. Both your arguments and goal posts have shifted since your initial comments and it really reflects your belief in your own arguments. You know that you're wrong.
My arguement as always been. Blizzard has no intention of putting up legacy servers. IT's not a matter of they can or ncannot. They do not want to since it would take away from their core business model as it relates to WoW.. If they were serious. Their language and word choice would reflect that much in their statements.

They will always be able to claim some excuse or another, 'DO you remember the song: 'There's a hole in the bucket'? This is basically what Blizzard is doing right now and what they will likely keep doing until they shift their business model, ie. after they've one or two more rounds of expansion and attrition.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Kibeth41 said:
MonsterCrit said:
My arguement as always been. Blizzard has no intention of putting up legacy servers. IT's not a matter of they can or ncannot. They do not want to since it would take away from their core business model as it relates to WoW.. If they were serious. Their language and word choice would reflect that much in their statements.

They will always be able to claim some excuse or another, 'DO you remember the song: 'There's a hole in the bucket'? This is basically what Blizzard is doing right now and what they will likely keep doing until they shift their business model, ie. after they've one or two more rounds of expansion and attrition.
No. Your argument started as "Nostalrius are lying about the difficulty of making legacy servers".
When did aI say he was lying about that. Said the guy might be shilling for Blizzacti but at no point did I ever claim setting up those servers was easy. My point was that it is not impossible, it can, has and is being done so clearly it can't be any harder for Blizzard, heck it would logically be easier since where as everyone else has had to be reverse engineering the whole thing. Blizzard knows how to forward engineer it.

You constantly make assumptions about it being cheap and/or easy, and when people finally indicate that you're wrong, you change your goal posts.
Never said it was cheap, just said it could be done on the cheap. But since it's pretty clear you are seeing what you want to see, I'll leave it at that. I claim no responsibility for what you do or do not see in my posts. Though maybe if you came out of 'Defend Blizzard almighty' and took the time to comprehend my posts as opposed to just reading to pick points to preply against', you might get a better picture.

You even started making claims about Nostalrius being bribed, since in your mind, no one can have an opinion that rivals your own without ulterior motive.
Just saying, the do legally have him by the balls. Funny joke is, wjat Nost was doin was a form of Copyright and IP infringement. Cease and Desist is not the only form of litigation blizzard has in it's arsenal. Point is, a fellow in his shoes would be very well advised to keep Blizzard happy. The guy isn't stupid. Of course i can't prove it, but then by the same token you can't disprove it. We do not have a third party recording of that conversation do we? Well I don't at least.

This is why I'm pointing out to you that you need to reread your posts. Which you clearly haven't done.

The worst part is that literally all of your points are just assumptions from a person who doesn't understand the processes in an industry. You're like a stay-at-home mom who tells everyone that doctors are liars and vaccines cause autism.
Might surprise you that I know a bit more about the industry than you think. You're like one of those stay-at-home-moms that believes that ground bush root is the miracle cure for everything because the nice man on the telly with the lab coat said it was, usually before offering a spot in the pyramid scheme.

I assume as a rule, people are only telling half-the truth when they talk to the media of any stripe. Why? because unless they're stupid they ae very much aware of how they would like their story to be told and perceieved. In short, they're all salesmen doing a pitch. That's not paranoia, that's observation. You are free to believe in what Blizzacti, Nost or L' Ron. Hubbard are saying but don't assume everyone shares your tunnel vision. Some of us have our views set to wide-angle panorama.

BNow I suggest you just let it drop. You believe what the people with vested financial interests are saying, i do not. Time will tell if i'm right or You're wrong. trust me I'd love to be proven wrong on this. But what will prove me wrong is not the carefully chosen and scripted media bytes, but the visible actions and so far BlizzActi have taken none of the actions one might expect of a company evaluating the profitability and feasibility of something. Not even user survey to ask if and how much their known customer base would be willing to pay for a legacy server subscription if it were offered. Which is pretty much step one. Determining if there is a market.

That's the sort of question that gives them numbers to work with, numbers to know, how many, how much and therefore setting the threshold for acceptable operating costs. If 150K say they'd pay $3 a month for vanilla legacy server subscriptuion , even if half that, that's $225K revenue per month, that leaves you to figure if and how you can operate a legacy server within those margins to be profitable. That's how business that are seriously considering entering new markets or launching new products act, they don't talk about what they 'want to do' they talk about 'what they are doing'.