The Nostalrius Team Says Blizzard Wants Legacy Servers

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
anthony87 said:
Now what you and other pirates are doing - and make no mistake, you're endorsing video game piracy here - is ignoring the facts and logistics at hand so that you can continue to stick your fingers in your ears and go "Nuh uh! Blizzard are just big meanies!"
Just a correction - playing on private servers is not piracy. What is refered to as piracy is copyright infringement, which means copying software without purchasing the copy right. This is not whats happening here. people who play these servers have purchased the game legitimately (well, not necessarily, but from my experience they did). They are using the software they purchased to connect to servers different than those of Blizzard. This is a break of EULA of the game, which means blizzard can terminate the services (ban them from official servers) but nothing else. This is in fact not a crime and the poster you accused of piracy has not pirated or commited any crime regarding this whatsoever.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Kibeth41 said:
MonsterCrit said:
Might surprise you that I know a bit more about the industry than you think.
The rest of your quote, and the rest of your comments really gives enough evidence to disprove this statement.

You still haven't taken my advice and reread your posts.
I have and you still haven't taken my advice to actually read them. But kinda done here. As said, BlizzActi can prove me wrong by their actions. Now please just hush. It starting to become clear even to others that you and anthony87 don't really know what you're talking about.

Strazdas said:
anthony87 said:
Now what you and other pirates are doing - and make no mistake, you're endorsing video game piracy here - is ignoring the facts and logistics at hand so that you can continue to stick your fingers in your ears and go "Nuh uh! Blizzard are just big meanies!"
Just a correction - playing on private servers is not piracy. What is refered to as piracy is copyright infringement, which means copying software without purchasing the copy right. This is not whats happening here. people who play these servers have purchased the game legitimately (well, not necessarily, but from my experience they did). They are using the software they purchased to connect to servers different than those of Blizzard. This is a break of EULA of the game, which means blizzard can terminate the services (ban them from official servers) but nothing else. This is in fact not a crime and the poster you accused of piracy has not pirated or commited any crime regarding this whatsoever.
NOw see this guy actually read the EULA, the ToS and understands his rights as a consumer. As said, it is no different from using a paid AV prog. They can stop updating you after your subscription, but they cannot prevent you from using the software or even manually updating it.

So please, you and anthony87 should just settle down. As said, the two have you have chosen to look no further than the words that were sai. Some of us look past the words to see if the actions are matching the words.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Strazdas said:
anthony87 said:

Ugh, I'd totally forgotten about this thread and all...

Anyways, I disagree. MonsterCrit himself even says above that what the Nostralius guys were doing is a form of copyright and IP infringement. You might as well be saying that someone who downloads a film or tv show from a torrent site isn't a pirate as long as they didn't upload the torrent file themselves.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
anthony87 said:
Strazdas said:

Ugh, I'd totally forgotten about this thread and all...

Anyways, I disagree. MonsterCrit himself even says above that what the Nostralius guys were doing is a form of copyright and IP infringement. You might as well be saying that someone who downloads a film or tv show from a torrent site isn't a pirate as long as they didn't upload the torrent file themselves.
Im not guilty of what MonsterCrit does or does not say above, only for what i have said. Depending on how Nostralius operates, it may or may not infringe on copyright or IP infringement (by which we mean trademarks here). I know most private servers does not infringe on copyright but does infringe on trademark rights. This can be circumvented if one is really being given a hard time by the developers and you could avoid legal trouble (though likely have to prove it in court if they persist) but most capitulate like Noastralius because fuck entering legal battle with blizzard.

Downloading movies from torrent site may or may not be piracy depending on the content (there is such a thing as public domain movies, movies with free license, ect), but i assume you mean those cases that are actually piracy. These cases are not comparable with private servers however. You are obtaining a copy of something that you do not have a copy right to. Thus you are breaking copyright law. In the case of Nostralius a person obtained the WoW client legally, with a right to own a copy. Worth noting - in many countries if you own a legal copy of a movie you are legally allowed to download a "Backup copy" of torrent sites (or anywhere else really). You are not allowed to upload it however, and torrents work by doing both at the same time.