The Official Screenshot Thread

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
What game is this from?
Anno Mutationem. Chinese game iirc. 2,5D action platfomer with some light adventure/puzzle elements. Main draw is the art style, obviously. Rather unique combo of sort of late 90's feeling sprites but with fluid high framerate animation, and fully 3d environments with modern effects and lighting but the textures are low-res and unfiltered. Looks really good. Pretty unremarkable in the gameplay department tho. Not bad, just bland.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Anno Mutationem. Chinese game iirc. 2,5D action platfomer with some light adventure/puzzle elements. Main draw is the art style, obviously. Rather unique combo of sort of late 90's feeling sprites but with fluid high framerate animation, and fully 3d environments with modern effects and lighting but the textures are low-res and unfiltered. Looks really good. Pretty unremarkable in the gameplay department tho. Not bad, just bland.
I've heard of the game and the art looked really good but hadn't actually read anything about it. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Thank you.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I've heard of the game and the art looked really good but hadn't actually read anything about it. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Thank you.
Yes, it was sort of disappointing. I find that to be kind of a recurring theme in the Chinese games I've played so far. They're not really bad se, but sort of bland, maybe a little janky, and lacking depth, despite their impressive audivisual production. Style over substance, so to speak. You know the term 'eurojank'? Some define that as any unpolished (Eastern) European game, good or bad, but imo it's more specifically those games whose ambitions outstrip their developers ability and/or budget. Games like Stalker, Pathologic, Necrovision or Elex. Deeply flawed, but engaging because you can feel the dev was shooting for the moon, but couldn't quite hack it. Frustrating at times, ok maybe a lot of times, but if you persevere reward with an experience you can't get anywhere else.

Well, maybe we should introduce a new term?

Sinojank

Sinojank is in a number of ways kind of the opposite of eurojank. Like eurojank, they're games that don't live up to their promise, but the jank here doesn't come from a lack of polish or bugs. While at first glance they seem ambitious games, they aren't, not really, and underneath the often lavish presentation is relatively competently made but milquetoast and derivative gameplay that doesn't break any new ground. They're fun and exciting at first, but that enthusiasm wanes pretty quickly as you play and start to realize the game has already played all its cards and/or that you can get the same experience elsewhere, oftentimes a better one too.

Mind you, I'm not generalizing. A Chinese game is not sinojank by default, just like not all European games are eurojank. For example, Genshin Impact. Never played and never will, cuz I don't do gacha out of principle, but it seems very well regarded.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I had to go grab screenshots from online because I didn't think they'd go there, which is why we go from summer to winter, but they continue to impress me.

Darroch tries to encourage the couple, Ludmila tries to encourage Ares.

Pound It.jpg

"Darling, would you like me to wash your back?"

Special Service Scene.jpg

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I had to go grab screenshots from online because I didn't think they'd go there, which is why we go from summer to winter, but they continue to impress me.

Darroch tries to encourage the couple, Ludmila tries to encourage Ares.

View attachment 6120

"Darling, would you like me to wash your back?"

View attachment 6121
Somebody open up the bar, because Ludmila is thirsty AF.