The Old Republic Becomes the Fastest-Growing MMO Ever

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i kinda wanna try this (i have friends there), but due to Origin, I'm inclined to stay away, don't need to be installing spyware knowingly

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Good to hear it. I'm loving the game and see myself as a subscriber for the indefinite future. I wish it all the success in the world.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
I'm not surprised in the slightest. I've been a subscriber since December 13th, when Early Access first started, and still only have 2 level 50 characters, the rest being around the 20 range. While the stories may get a little cliche here and there, they certainly bring about a more immersive, personal atmosphere for your playthrough than generic npc #2000 that speaks in an emotional-lacking, dull, text-based chat box format every five feet like most other MMO's..

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
animehermit said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
i kinda wanna try this (i have friends there), but due to Origin, I'm inclined to stay away, don't need to be installing spyware knowingly
You don't need origin if you buy the game from the store. Origin is only required for online purchases, you don't even need it to download the game after you've bought it.
i see, good to hear thanks :D

Sep 14, 2009
Monkeyman O said:
From what I hear of Old Republic it really aint that good so unless Bioware keeps cranking out new shit every month then I can see it flatlining very soon.

err...say wha?

i have roughlyh ~20 Wow friends who subscribed to TOR also, and they have all reached lvl 50 with one character and loved it to bits, and are about to start another character or two to see the other stories...(not to mention, between the occasional WoW and TOR, those are the only games they play, so thats at a pretty damn good pace.)

OT: I might dive into this game in the summer if i have teh time, but unfortunately MMO's are not my thing (although TOR might be, with it's focus on story/characters/decent VA)

still, glad to see it doing well, especially after the amount of backlash that was brought out before hand by many users.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
It's not really very fair, when WoW came out all those years ago MMORPG's were very small and unknown. The fanbase grew massively but it was over a longer period of time. It's no suprise that the ONLY decent mmo to be released sold well.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
You know those impressive sales numbers EA has for Origin?
$100 million for 10 million people... (of which most probably signed up for Battlefield 3)
Ignoring the fact that that's $10 a person, or 1/2 a cheap (by EA's internal logic) game each (1/6 a new EA game), we can do some interesting calculations with the numbers on this one:
* Probable 2.5-ish million TOR copies sold ('twas about 2 million earlier, and the falloff seems reasonable)
* 40% on Origin
* At $60 ea.
* Comes out to $60 million on Origin from The Old Republic.

In other words, fully 60% of their sales are people who have to choose between "boxed copy" and "Origin". Probably 70-90% of their remaining sales may be chalked up to Battlefield 3, leaving us with...

...Our "Steam competitor"? EA's blowing smoke here. Dressing up sales numbers that are only there 'cause they forced the issue, not because anyone wants to use their service.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Congratulations to The Old Republic! I'm glad you've been doing so well. Way to stick it to the World!

I'm slightly less excited about the success of Origin though. EA, why must you have to have some things that are so cool and others that can go die? It's not fair! I just want to light you on fire and beat you with sticks. Must you make it so difficult for me?

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
gmaverick019 said:
err...say wha?

i have roughlyh ~20 Wow friends who subscribed to TOR also, and they have all reached lvl 50 with one character and loved it to bits, and are about to start another character or two to see the other stories...(not to mention, between the occasional WoW and TOR, those are the only games they play, so thats at a pretty damn good pace.)
Of course they like it. Its a WoW clone. Its just more of something they like but with a new skin.
However as only the main character quests are any good, once they do those then what? They pick a new character sure, but then they have to tolerate the mediocre faction stuff but will they do it again?
Then maybe they swap factions and try the other side but same problem. Once you get past the character story lines its just a rather bland WoW clone.
Then how long till they want to go back to WoW and all the characters they made, the areas they know and the friends they have?

Its like being in a open relationship with your soul mate and her cousin. Sure the cousin is something new and is similar enough to your soul mate that it gives you that initial attraction but after a while the sheen wears off and you just see her for what she is. A pale imitation. So you end up going back home.
And sure, maybe you call her up every now and then and check out her new nipple ring and the new position she has learnt but after a few sessions youre right back home again.

TOR just does not have enough staying power to keep people in for long.

Sep 14, 2009
Monkeyman O said:
gmaverick019 said:
err...say wha?

Of course they like it. Its a WoW clone. Its just more of something they like but with a new skin.
However as only the main character quests are any good, once they do those then what? They pick a new character sure, but then they have to tolerate the mediocre faction stuff but will they do it again?
Then maybe they swap factions and try the other side but same problem. Once you get past the character story lines its just a rather bland WoW clone.
Then how long till they want to go back to WoW and all the characters they made, the areas they know and the friends they have?

Its like being in a open relationship with your soul mate and her cousin. Sure the cousin is something new and is similar enough to your soul mate that it gives you that initial attraction but after a while the sheen wears off and you just see her for what she is. A pale imitation. So you end up going back home.
And sure, maybe you call her up every now and then and check out her new nipple ring and the new position she has learnt but after a few sessions youre right back home again.

alright..i'll ignore that extremely weird metaphor you just used to describe tor...which isn't even accurate, considering most of them like TOR for different reasons as to why they like wow(i used my wow friends as an example of people who have gone through most of the game already in one playthrough)

but if you want to keep not liking TOR for trivial reasons and keep comparing it to WoW, then cool, enjoy not being with the cousin and with your "soul mate"

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
kouriichi said:
Its a great game. Im a very happy subscriber to it.

The story for each character is amazing, the combat is shiny and fun to look at, the voice acting is possibly some of the best in ALL OF VIDEO GAMING HISTORY. (("Fat stack of Credits? You just said my favorite term." -Bounty Hunter))

Theres almost nothing bad i can say about it. Short of "needs more cowbell", its almost a perfect game. And im glad the sales are reflecting it.
The leveling in TOR is phenomenal, and I've never seen an MMO do it better.

Unfortunately, once you finish the leveling, the game collapses. End game isn't terribly challenging, even on nightmare, and there's really just not a whole lot to keep players interested. Dailies grow stale after a couple of weeks and the Republic half of most servers is almost completely dead.

If they can fix the population issues and add some challenging end game (I have some hope for this latter one after the Karagga's Palace full-release), it can be an amazing game. As it currently stands though, it's pretty meh.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
It's good to see this mmo doing well, though, as some others have stated, I'm curious to see if they stick. I have a friend that is playing it after he left WoW and he said it's pretty interesting, though it didn't seem to be anything to get hyped about. On that note, if they can keep some fresh content going, then they may continue to grow, but I do feel that the game may risk going stale too quickly. I was thinking about trying the game myself, but I currently can't afford a $15/month subscription.

Sep 14, 2009
The Cool Kid said:
Monkeyman O said:
gmaverick019 said:
err...say wha?

Regardless of what others say, that metaphor is great and hilarious.

gmaverick019 said:
alright..i'll ignore that extremely weird metaphor you just used to describe tor...which isn't even accurate, considering most of them like TOR for different reasons as to why they like wow(i used my wow friends as an example of people who have gone through most of the game already in one playthrough)

but if you want to keep not liking TOR for trivial reasons and keep comparing it to WoW, then cool, enjoy not being with the cousin and with your "soul mate"
That's nonsense. They may like the mephasis on story or whatever, but your friends will enjoy SW:TOR because it's safe; they know how the combat works and how to play a game like that. They aren't exactly going from WoW to CS:S or Total War.

It's sad that you resort to bickering at the end of your comment, almost as if to say that comparing it to WoW makes you feel uncomfortable hence the unnecessary insults.

SW:TOR is WoW with a new lick of paint. The combat is the same 1, 2, 1, 2, 3 ad infinitum boring-as-hell sequential number pressiing auto-lock on gameplay with brain dead NPC's and a static world filled with money-spinning travel times.
*sigh* yes because wow is the only one to ever do that combat and no game is allowed to do similar combat in the slightest, i am sorry for my mis thinking in that..

to...bickering? i would say "i couldn't care less" even though i in fact could on the subject, however i dont really see where i was "insulting", i just found the metaphor odd and was stating my data against that persons since they seemed to know so much about TOR and were hot to trot on the topic. unless i'm reading over something (which is entirely possibly this late at night) i don't see where i insulted them...could be wrong though.

while it is boring to you, it is combat that many are familiar with (including myself, even though i don't play WoW, but through other games) and i quite enjoy actually, so i see no reason why they would change much about it. obviously ~1.7 million subscribers seem to think so in the least bit that it is bearable.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Sorry to burst their bubble but 90% of those "users" are not users and were forced to download origin against their will.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
it's really impressive how people were like "just wait till the 20. nobody will subscribe to this shit after the initial 30 days. i haven't played it but i hate it for some reason" and now they are like "just wait a few month" I bet in a few month they will go "just wait till the first addon"

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I am glad I bought 3 copies of it. I finally see why people like playing MMOs with a group. But yeah this is my favorite MMO that I have played.