The Old Republic Ships Without Registration Codes

Mar 26, 2008
I had to get my codes from a lippy Astromech droid and his companion an effeminate, golden protocol droid. Something about being on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
Fappy said:
How is this a surprise to anyone? This is the biggest MMO launch since WoW and they always look like train-wrecks in the first few weeks. Anyone else want some popcorn? I have an extra lawn-chair in the trunk.
To say this is a surprise is to be lying

To expect this train wreck to ever stop, is to not even comprehend the MMO playerbase, the only group of Hardcore gamers who will abandon a game because it plays like shit, because Bioware doesnt staff the wizards of gameplay that are required to make an MMO decent, let alone mediocre

Starke said:
BaronIveagh said:
Crono1973 said:
Worse than Dragon Age 2?
That would require the opening cut scene be a xenobiology lesson about Midichlorians.
If it was as good as DA2, you'd be able to respond to the xenobiology lesson with sarcastic quips, mock everyone in easy reach, and make fun of the rampant idiocy of the cliche laden plots.

So, yes, it actually is worse than DA2.
If it was made by Xynga, it could be AS good as DA2. because it was made by Bioware, it cant even live upto Mass Effect 3

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Nah, this isn't an accident, it's EA's new weapon against piracy.

You see, all cracked copies of games, MMOs especially, have a spoof registration key at some point. So EA has rolled out inviskeytm registration keys to prevent their use by hackers. All future releases by Electronic Arts will utilise this exciting and effective technology.
Actually they don't have to worry about piracy for a year at least. You don't crack an MMO you spoof the server, recreating it takes forever. (Not that I'd know I just find this stuff intresting)

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
So all these people in the beta and still these bugs huh? Nice showing off there.
I know, I know. "Every game got bugs blah blah blah". They still showed off with their beta numbers.

Starke said:
BaronIveagh said:
Crono1973 said:
Worse than Dragon Age 2?
That would require the opening cut scene be a xenobiology lesson about Midichlorians.
If it was as good as DA2, you'd be able to respond to the xenobiology lesson with sarcastic quips, mock everyone in easy reach, and make fun of the rampant idiocy of the cliche laden plots.

So, yes, it actually is worse than DA2.
Nothing is worse than DA2. Nothing.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
toapat said:
If it was made by Xynga, it could be AS good as DA2. because it was made by Bioware, it cant even live upto Mass Effect 3
You're right, nothing can follow the meteoric fall of the Mass Effect franchise. And it would be horrible to try to hold DA2 to such a high standard for failure. Especially since the game, you know, functions.

jonyboy13 said:
Nothing is worse than DA2. Nothing.
I want to live in your fantasy world where everything is at least that good. Fuck, Alpha Protocol would be goddamn godlike there. Hell, Gothic 3 must be awesome in your world. To say nothing of Bloodlines or Arcanum... ...wait, a world where Mass Effect 2 wasn't written by a lobotomized eight year old!? I want your world, GIVE IT TOO ME!

ArianaUO321

Mar 20, 2010
Just got mine... has my code, my server that I've been playing since early access has no queue at all.

Everything is going flawlessly on my end, minus the $60 for a subscription game.

Sucks for some other folks though.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'm actually one of those people who got their games extra early (December 9), because of some logistical goof-ups. Everything I expected was in the box, and it's all been running smoothly and such.

The only bugs I've encountered have been the empty resource nodes, some path-finding issues, and a couple of enemies on Balmorra that just refuse to engage you in battle properly.

Queues... depend on when I try to log on. Morning to early afternoon (CET) is nice queue-free, but later on you can get anything between twenty minutes and an hour and a half. It's a fun game, though, with a nice BioWare story... plus MMO padding.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
vansau said:
This is not a promising start for The Old republic. People with early access have been reporting that the game still suffering from a number of bugs, and others are reporting that there are some <a href=http://www.1up.com/news/the-old-republic-long-server-queues>insanely long load server queues to suffer through. Hopefully BioWare is able to resolve this latest issue soon.
Bugs? In an MMO? *clutches pearls* My stars!

And no, not really. Haven't seen more bugs here, in a just newly launched product than in WoW that had several years to get shit sorted before I played it.

Server queues are completely manageable and nothing out of the ordinary, they'll be gone in a week or so when the server populations get stabilized. Raising caps too soon to remove queues would just mean further overpopulation, which is just counterproductive. Besides, anyone who doesn't like them can choose a ton of servers without queues, it's just that people tend to be stupid and roll on full servers for no reason (I understand if you roll with someone you know/a guild, not what I mean), then ***** about queues.

As for the whole no codes issue, yeah it sucks. But for anyone who pre-ordered, I hope they would be able to sort the issue before the grace period ends, I see no reason why they wouldn't. It's also noteworthy that this is probably a US-centric issue thanks to your retailers, considering EU got their copies days ago and could solve that issue several times over by now.

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
BioWare and EA don't have the development skills for such a complex undertaking such as an MMORPG, they will both be chasing these issues for many months to come.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Johnson McGee said:
Didn't this problem already happen with another game? Can't remember what it was though. Is it too much to hope for companies to learn from mistakes?
It happened with STALKER Clear Sky. Though that one had a recall and a delay to make sure the codes were in the box when it finally did ship.

My favorite bug for The Old Republic is related. Apparently, it's possible to get an error while redeeming your code, so that the code is logged as in use, but not unlock anything on their account. There's a here [http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=37970] on the subject (you may need an account on SWTOR.com to view this.)

The best part is Customer Service is feeding most of these to chat bots that are passing themselves off as customer service reps.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
they wouldn't have been able to play it anyway. I know a guy thats been beta tester since day one. Apparently for the first 3 days people had random disconnects, timeouts, crashes and to login back in they would have to wait 3 hour line, if their lucky that is. Sometimes you would wait in line and you get shafted back few positions even. It was pretty much unplayable anyway.

And then you wonder why people pirate games.... probably because at launch pirating is the ONLY way to play it.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
vansau said:
The Star Wars: The Old Republic forums are jammed with users complaining that they bought the collector's edition of the MMO, only to find the registration cards inside the DVD case have no visible numbers. Also, it's being reported that some copies of the title don't even have game discs.
Hmm...Missing discs. I wonder if more than afew people in the factory decided to "try before you buy".

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
sleeky01 said:
vansau said:
The Star Wars: The Old Republic forums are jammed with users complaining that they bought the collector's edition of the MMO, only to find the registration cards inside the DVD case have no visible numbers. Also, it's being reported that some copies of the title don't even have game discs.
Hmm...Missing discs. I wonder if more than afew people in the factory decided to "try before you buy".
Not sure about that, there are a few CE purchasers who say their Collectors Editions look like they were rifled through. But there are a lot of players saying their CD Keys are coming up as "already in use". Including people who got their keys in emails from Origin or out of sealed boxes.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I've had no problem with the product key myself.

As to the game itself, it's quite simple, if you like Star Wars, Bioware and/or MMOs, you need this game, simple as. It's a big bundle of well written love.

Darwins_Folly

Jan 16, 2010
My copy came with two registration codes, lol. I bet for every person without a code, there's someone like me with extras.

electric method

Jul 20, 2010
I've only run into some launcher problems since launch. I was a beta tester for a long time and can say, most of the bugs that were in the beta are not in the launch client. The ones that are there are minor and most definately not game breaking.

The issues with server queues is people joining servers that are at high populations and are marked with "there will be x amount of time to wait before playing". So the wait times are pretty much all on the players. BioWare cannot control people doing things of that nature.