The Other Mrs. Doctor Who

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
M-JN said:
newwiseman said:
I also would have liked it to be explained in The End of Time that the Time Lord/Lady who keeps appearing to Wilfred Mott, Donna's Grandfather, is Susan the doctors Grand Daughter and first companion. But noticing stuff like that is what being a nerd is for.
waitwaitwut

Is that just a theory of yours or has there been some indication that that's who she was? I was under the impression that that character had been purposefully left unexplained.
Some people like to think that it was the Doctor's Mother, Susan, or Romana.

The Doctor's Mother has zero basis.

Romana is a popular choice because she became President of Gallifrey after returning from E-Space, so it would make sense that she is on the council. Rassilon lead the Time Lords during the war.

I prefer to think it was Susan due the psychic powers she demonstrated in The Sensorites(she kept appearing to Wilfred).

As for who she really was the writers couldn't make a choice so they left it up to the audience; indecisive bastards.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
I speak here purely as a devotee of Classic Who who hasn't yet successfully been hooked by the new show. (In fact it's the only thing my wife and I truly argue about - we're a mixed-Whovian marriage.)

I never saw sexual tension in the classic series; in fact one of the things I liked most about it was what I saw as character development without going in that direction (which, if not done well, I think can come across as a rather cheap and slapdash method of characterisation). Was there something between Doctor-IV and Romana-II? Maybe. It's the closest the old series ever came, I think, though to me it always seemed more playful than anything. Perhaps alluding to the stuffy, stagnant nature of Time Lord society having resulted in a race that were somewhat childish socially. Certainly Doctor-IV, even more than most others (except VI of course), was prone to petulant tantrums.

I find it interesting that many of the companions mentioned in this thread, including those mentioned as people's favourites (even in 'shipping), are the ones I hated most. Special venom reserved for Tegan and Peri, both of whom I never found anything but grating, whiny, and all-round obnoxious (and a very special raspberry for Nicola Bryant's perpetual American-accent fails. Oh, how much better would Caves of Androzani had been if he could have had, say, Nyssa there instead?)

Frankly, I consider Romana-II to be the last decent companion followed by a string of lacklustre, annoying characters (the sadly-underused Nyssa being the lone exception) that wasn't really changed until Ace came along. Worth noting: Peter Davison has been quoted before as saying that he liked Nyssa as a companion more and would have preferred to keep her in the TARDIS rather than Tegan, but was overruled for contractual reasons.

Sarah Sutton was paid on a per-episode appearance basis, because her character was actually owned by writer Johnny Byrne (she was originally concepted as a one-off for Keeper of Traken, not a recurring companion). Thus she got written out at every chance they could (see Kinda) and eventually written off the series as soon as possible. I believe a number of fanfiction series by diehard Doctor-V/Nyssa 'shippers have been written to take place in the intervening time after Time-Flight, when Tegan is left behind and Nyssa is the lone companion in the TARDIS.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sabrestar said:
Sarah Sutton was paid on a per-episode appearance basis, because her character was actually owned by writer Johnny Byrne (she was originally concepted as a one-off for Keeper of Traken, not a recurring companion). Thus she got written out at every chance they could (see Kinda) and eventually written off the series as soon as possible. I believe a number of fanfiction series by diehard Doctor-V/Nyssa 'shippers have been written to take place in the intervening time after Time-Flight, when Tegan is left behind and Nyssa is the lone companion in the TARDIS.
Oooh, thank you for sharing that, I never knew. Certainly explains a fair bit, especially why Nyssa just sort of shows up in Logopolis.

I hated Peri, didn't much enjoy Ace (though that probably had more to do with her Doctor than her), and would happily through Mel screaming from a helicopter, but I was ok with Adric, Tegan, Nyssa, Adric and Turlough. Didn't love 'em, didn't hate 'em.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I did really hope we'd seen the last of River Song. I find her just a little too much of a Mary Sue to me, she just seems to be magically perfect at everything. I honestly thought the episodes this season that didn't have her in were much better.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
Susan Arendt knows that the Doctor's heart will always really belong to the TARDIS.

There should be a plural in there somewhere ;)

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
I'm surprised you didn't mention the "That was a whole other birthday" comment when multiple doctors came up in conversation.

I think after 900 years, just one of yourself gets a bit stale.

Butterjaw

Jun 8, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Um, in this picture, it says that the 11th said he could regenerate up to 500 times. When was this said?

Feb 13, 2008
Butterjaw said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Um, in this picture, it says that the 11th said he could regenerate up to 500 times. When was this said?
Point of contention: It's uttered as a line in The Sarah Jane Adventures and it directly contradicts canon, BUT has been deemed as important by the writers.

It's like the Eye of Rassilon being both the Heart of the Tardis and a Black Hole - The Doctor Always Lies.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Peri was a case of doing a bad accent, horrible accent, since she was supposed to be American. "Hey look, the Yanks like this stuff too."
Mel is forgetable. Honestly, other than her hair I don't really remember much about her.
Adric stop touching things!

While the writers may not have intended there to be sexual tension, being high strung Brits and all, there was some on set. At least with Tom Baker. Seriously listen to the commentary tracks on the DVDs.
Can't find a youtube clip with him doing it. But its funny and awkward to listen to him go on about Leela's legs and how "scrumptious" the female co-stars were. Also, Lalla Ward and Tom Baker never record commentarys together. Always seperate recordings.

With the way they ended this season, and The Wedding of River Song was a good episode, I'm hoping they step back a good bit from the "Universe in Danger" story arcs and go do some fun adventures. The Doctor is stepping back into the shadows, or so he claims at the end. I really want them to do something along the lines of the Bad Wolf arc. Put in something easter egg like in each episode and then have it all tie together with some event at the end. Just stop for a bit with the universe ending all the time.
Oh and Doctor's Daughter needs to comeback. You here me Moffit!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Roganzar said:
Peri was a case of doing a bad accent, horrible accent, since she was supposed to be American. "Hey look, the Yanks like this stuff too."
Mel is forgetable. Honestly, other than her hair I don't really remember much about her.
Adric stop touching things!

While the writers may not have intended there to be sexual tension, being high strung Brits and all, there was some on set. At least with Tom Baker. Seriously listen to the commentary tracks on the DVDs.
Can't find a youtube clip with him doing it. But its funny and awkward to listen to him go on about Leela's legs and how "scrumptious" the female co-stars were. Also, Lalla Ward and Tom Baker never record commentarys together. Always seperate recordings.

With the way they ended this season, and The Wedding of River Song was a good episode, I'm hoping they step back a good bit from the "Universe in Danger" story arcs and go do some fun adventures. The Doctor is stepping back into the shadows, or so he claims at the end. I really want them to do something along the lines of the Bad Wolf arc. Put in something easter egg like in each episode and then have it all tie together with some event at the end. Just stop for a bit with the universe ending all the time.
Oh and Doctor's Daughter needs to comeback. You here me Moffit!
Not just the universe ending, but the "oh, that was a whole other timeline!" universe ending. It's getting just a bit dull. There's always some bright points that make it interesting, but honestly, can we do something else?

This does raise an interesting question, though. Would you folks feel short-changed if the next season was all one-off episodes instead of having a continuing story arc?

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Woodsey said:
And River is really quite annoying.
This. And that pond woman too - somebody should tell the person that plays her that simpering is not acting.